We all hate store variants but

I expect we will see a wave of store variants with Courtland next for Planet of The Symbiotes ruining the spec on that 1:25.

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. Store variants only inflate potential 1:25 print runs and not necessarily kill an issueā€™s desirability. I mean, at the end of the day Iā€™d rather have an ā€œOfficialā€ Marvel comic over a store variant. And Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone in that sentiment. So if the issue is worthy (i.e. guts are good, cover is good, etcā€¦) I think thereā€™ll still be spec value in it despite stores diluting the print numbers.

2 Likes

JSC is not a comic book store. He is an artist with a website. Big difference.
Also, you need to post completed sales, not asking prices.

Screenshot_20201217-074934
Screenshot_20201217-075003

The 9.8 completed auction had 1 bid. Not exactly a book in demand, so to speak (and I know that one sale is from 2.5 months ago, but, there arenā€™t a whole lot of completed sales for this bookā€¦lots for sale though).

Thereā€™s always at least one sucker out there right? :wink:

1 Like

Also, I hate auctions that start off at the buyers ā€œsupposedā€ BIN price theyā€™re willing to let it go at. Starting auctions at such high prices is just seeing how much more you can squeeze out of people willing to spend on it.

Wanna see what would be a little more true with demand/value, start the shit at $0.01 or $1 and see where it landsā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Notice how the store variants started popping up AFTER the 1:25 caught some heatā€¦

Gwenom vs Carnage #1 1:25 will have TONS of copies available, mostly from webstores asking $$$

They need to make it so store exclusives (when you buy 3k of them) thatā€™s all you get. If you want the ratio variants, you gotta buy all those regular covers. Only regular covers should qualify you for the ratiosā€¦ Marvel would make so much more moneyā€¦ or waitā€¦ maybe theyā€™d make way less money (since everyone would stop doing store exclusives thenā€¦ )ā€¦ this could be a good thing right? No more store exclusivesā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Good for collectors, not for stores and Marvel. As always, the lesser printed, under appreciated issues with surprise key events will always be the winners in the long run.

Good for everyoneā€¦ itā€™ll then turn back into a market based on actual demand instead of the pump and dump overprinting of books to boost their own numbers and sales.

I think of ratio and store exclusive ratio variants as comic book inflationā€¦ theyā€™re printing and making way more than we really needā€¦ over time, causing the overall value to go down.

1 Like

That is a boo-urns move. I went in on one copy at a yet to be determined price (bought in a package deal, need to flip the rest of the books to see how much the 1:25 will cost me).
Mind you, each store with a variant (boooo) will qualify for at least 60 1:25s. Even if 20 stores did variants, and they all maxed out on the 1:25 qualifiers, then that is 1200 (20x60) extra copies. That wonā€™t flood the market if there is true demand, but it certainly wonā€™t help with the ceiling of the book.

1 Like

I did link the last completed sale at $350

Whereā€™s the Momoko exclusive

All good. You know I love ya, Alana. :beers:

Hey you twoā€¦ get a room for that ā€œloveā€ talk nonsenseā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Aw, we all love each other here. We express it through sarcasm and memes.

Davidā€™s been watching ā€œEyes Wide Shutā€ againā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

Never seen it, actually. I like Kubrickā€™s movies for the most part but all the bad things I hear makes me hesitant to see a poor last work.

I actually never seen it either, only like 10 - 15 minutes I think. I think I recall he shortly died around the time it was released tooā€¦

Damnā€¦ there 1:25 usually $15 maybe $20. The hype is real behind this book