What are your thoughts on the new comic series called Radiant Black?

It is interesting that comic book sellers can get away with this stuff. If you create a price based on rarity, get people to buy in and then change the factor that made it expensive, it’s getting pretty close to illegal, and definitely over the line in terms of unethical!

Manufactured ‘rarity’ does not equate to genuine rarity.
Rare, manufactured or genuine, doesn’t equal value.

This is one of many problems if you ask me and it goes beyond just comics. If I produce 50 items (with the idea that this makes the items more exclusive) then set my own price of what I think it’s worth, this does not necessarily set the actual value based on actual demand or what people are willing to pay, unless, like what some companies will do in a lot of open markets, companies actually do survey’s to get an idea of what to price new products. This never happens in the comics from what I’ve seen, unless of course they’re leaving it hush hush. I don’t get the sense they reach out to customers or potential customers to set their pricing accordingly based on what people are willing to spend.

In a real market based on demand to set the value, auctions that start at or roughly above the production cost would give an idea of real market value based on actual demand.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with you. However, in this instance people were ‘tempted’ by rarity (as I suspect many people are) albeit created by an ‘engineered’ limited supply. Once you’ve advertised it as such, it should stay that way IMHO.

Whether they get ‘value’ or not is the choice they have to make. Changing the criteria people use to make that decision is bad form methinks.

1 Like

You know, this makes me wanna buy it along with a black light just because…

Radiant Black #10 Blacklight Ed

Radiant Black #10 Blacklight Ed

6 Likes

Beautiful art inside Radiant Black 10. Can’t wait to get my black light version.

5 Likes

Yeah, I flipped through this at my LCS, it’s going to be awesome under black light.

For those that stuck with this title, how’s it going? A good story? I read the first 3-4 and wasn’t super fired up about it, but I heard it got better. I ask because it looks like we’re getting a spin-off title:

2 Likes

I wasn’t a Power Rangers fan (wrong age bracket) but this is the Power Rangers I imagine I would have gone crazy for a s a kid. After issue 4 pulls the rug on you and switches the main character it gets steadily better. I’m really digging it.

1 Like

Would like to try it out but still not convinced about the premise enough to spend my limited budget. Must have some buzz on it, if its still going strong, and introducing a new series.

I enjoy the book it’s been very cool.

2 Likes