Whatnot App

In addition to Bro and super rare, you forgot “sick”, “dope” and those dumbass two finger hand gestures that I have no clue what they’re about.

2 Likes

Should be interesting to see Ebay Live come out of beta.

People gave it good reviews at the NYCC Ebay Live session.

I tried using it briefly right before and after the time of SDCC, but I had two sellers I bought things from and got a pretty good deal (at the time), and then never sent the item, never responded to questions asking when it would be sent, or made up stories about how the comic got lost in the mail when the signer was sending it back to them (despite the fact the person was signing it on camera during the auction). I just don’t have the time or desire to sit there and watch someone inflate their ego for an hour to see one comic I might want to try and get and then not even have a good way of making sure I get my money back when it isn’t.

Both cases I had to go to Whatnot support to get the refund, and in one case they claimed they couldn’t process a refund because it had been too many days since my order. But once I told them I’d just have to charge back with my credit card company I got a refund within about 5 minutes.

Wow that sucks man. Especially if they were signing on camera so they literally had the books and set up a special signing show, real bummer.

My experience on whatnot has been pretty good. I used to win a bunch of giveaways so overall I’ve prob gotten 10-15 free books including 1 hardcover trade. I’ve received everything I’ve ever bought from there, and also refunded on every request so far. Have also gotten loads of store exclusives for $5 each on some of the bigger streams (unknown, antihero). And gotten some steals of some key books on the smaller channels. You just have to get to know the whatnot platform, bigger sellers help pump and dump the whatnot exclusives and even normal $5 books regularly get upbid and sold way higher than anywhere else. Recent example of this is the ASM1000 kirkham nycc variant, comictom was getting sales of 40-60$ while it was available at the same exact time on midtown’s stream for $25 and $20. Smaller sellers who might not know exactly what they have or especially off-hour shows are where the real steals are.

I also feel like it’s a lot of people’s first foray into comics so just buy everything. It’s useful when used correctly and when you realize 70%+ of the users are morons on there lol. It’s also sorta useful to see what big books are actively going for during a show, especially if they haven’t been sold for a while on eBay.

1 Like

I think in many ways, whatnot has become a bit of a 4-letter word here. I’ve never bought/sold on the app, but early on I did watch several sales. I mostly thought it was entertaining, but the prices on the hotter things were just WAY too high for me.

But, have you seen their new “Drops” things? Basically a raffle for the chance to buy their exclusives at really low costs. The first drop is a solid Moon Knight 1 facsimile exclusive (I still don’t get facsimile exclusives, but that’s just me). If you “win” you can buy it for $4. It’s a pretty interesting concept, and because you can improve your chances of “winning” by sharing to friends, it’s probably a pretty cheap way for them to advertise and expand reach.

I’ll give them credit for clearly stating the print run, which I guess you can believe or not if that’s your thing.

No real opinion on this or whatnot in general here. Mostly just sharing.

1 Like

I still enjoy Whatnot and usually have a good time selling on it as well as buying. I think a chunk of the forum disagrees with me, however.

I dont buy on there, although Ill occasionally watch a stream.

1 Like

Loud, obnoxious, phony influencers, schemers, snake oil and used car salesmen/saleswomen is the 1st set of visions I have when I think of WhatNot. That’s who they hire for the “face of the company”. Go to NYCC or any major con where they have a presence if you think this is an overstatement.

Yea - not happening in this lifetime.

I recognize there are good folks selling on Whatnot.
But I’m not supporting this business model until (and if) they change their model.

2 Likes

I watch whatnot every single day in some capacity. Usually for background noise. But there are a select group of sellers i do watch and interact with. Oddly enough i don’t use whatnot for comics. I think david is the only comic person i actually watch if i can catch his lives. All the others I’ve found are annoying as hell

1 Like

They are still interesting to me, but the pricing isn’t usually that good, or the books you do get are in the 8 graded range, sometimes pushing a 9. Great for filler books in a run though.

at RI comic con no whatnot booth and not a single seller or comic influencer thank goodness

1 Like

Sound like the Con was already a success before it even started!

1 Like

Hooray, I’m not annoying!

In all seriousness, however, there are plenty of sellers whose shows I will tune into for 5 seconds before I bolt because they are annoying/hyping junk/etc. I still find some cool folks I make sure to, “Follow,” just by browsing around on occasion, tho.

2 Likes

Yikes, this is in horrible taste. Using an actors death to announce an exclusive based on them.

5 Likes

We are sorry he died, but buy our variant. Yeah. Pretty bad.

6 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face: :zipper_mouth_face:

If I start about WhatNot, what they promote, their brand, their M.O, their influencers, I wont end. And it won’t be nice

5 Likes

Did a little Whatnot show themed mainly for just Batman and Justice League a couple of weeks ago that went okay (just the Batman sold though). Did an actual show today with an assortment of books and it actually was good! Color me surprised after many miserable shows.

1 Like

Apparently a seller on Whatnot got into some drama with selling bootleg custom covers over the weekend. Seeing a lot of drama about it.

2 Likes

Ooooooooooooooh…do tell

:tea:

He was selling Nathan Szerdy covers that were either exclusives for other stores or commissions. He also had some bootleg Adam Hughes pieces and had a J Scott Cambell cover that included nudity. So he got called out by Shawn from Merc (he owns a shop as well) and the the seller ended the show and refunded everyone. The seller gave up the info on who he bought them from, who gave up the info on who he got them from. He is a seller on eBay called Myplaymoney2 or something like that. Anyway that guy was shut down on eBay.

1 Like