Whatnot App

Great show today! I missed the first half, but the rest was good. Psyched I actually won your giveaway as well! :sunglasses:

It was a great show today! I had decent viewership and people wanting to buy stuff. I think I had some really good comics which helped!

3 Likes

“Here, buy our mediocre garbage…”

1 Like

Flip them on Whatnot and make it a full circle of life!

How about flipping Whatnot the bird :wink:
I certainly have

1 Like

WhatNot publishing books and being buddy-buddy with certain “influencer” sellers would seem like a conflict of interest ripe for abuse.

I was going to say “oh man, I bet the preferred sellers on the platform are pissed they didn’t get these.” But, who am I kidding? They got ‘em.

5 Likes

The Whatnot influencers we all know and love are standup sellers and carry themselves so well.
I would never ever ever in a million years think thered be any possibility (cough, cough, acetate, cough) of anything questionable.

How’d they all get to the front of the line at Black Flag again?
Gosh - I just can’t imagine (cough cough exhibitor pass, cough cough)

Can’t wait for NYCC when I’m at the back of the line with my lowly “regular 4 day badge” and I see them standing up at the front of the line of the whatever hot NYCC exclusive. Did I say standup? Must have had the 2nd definition in mind.

3 Likes

100% correct. ANOTHER Bad Idea. . .

I heard Rob Liefeld does crazy Whatnot shows now, and I tuned in. I was not prepared. He’s wild.

1 Like

At this year’s New York Comic Con, veteran magazine publisher Heavy Metal Entertainment announced a strategic partnership with ascendant upstart Whatnot Publishing, in an arrangement that sees both parties partnering to co-publish much of the Heavy Metal line, inclusive of the monthly magazine, floppy comics, trade paperbacks, and specialty books.

Among the highest profile projects that will be distributed through this partnership includes the 321st issue of Heavy Metal Magazine (branded as the first issue of Volume 2 of the historic magazine), the long-awaited Ranxcollected edition, and the collected edition of Medney’s Dark Wing serial which is set for a major adaptation announcement before the end of this year.

As a total aside (but related) to this thread, I have to say unequivocally that the WhatNot booth at NYCC was the loudest, most obnoxious, annoying, noise pollution booth in the entire show floor.

Congratulations WhatNot.
I couldn’t even answer a phone call from my dad who needed my assistance you jackasses. And no you can’t walk far enough to NOT hear that stupid booth

5 Likes

They sound “awesome”.

Whatnot who? I’ve already started the process of removing them from… well, my brain!

4 Likes

I’ve been watching auctions on whatnot since last year and I finally made my first purchases about 2-3 weeks ago. I felt like I got extremely lucky because most of the stuff I want gets overbid on by crazy amounts.

RL Tree falling in Forrest.

Should call them “Who Dat?” Or “Who…? Not.”

Yeah, I totally avoided that area of the floor. Between them, Marvel Industries and other special screening booths it was total traffic and noise. No interest.

1 Like

Whatnot is quickly turning into just a plague on the industry. It started as a great concept, but now it’s obnoxious. I don’t really watch shows that sell comic books. Because it’s either 50 cent books that people pay 5 and 10 dollars for, or these influencers pushing their whatnot partnered books

4 Likes

Whatnot seller voice :Check it out bro! This hot super fire exclusive super rare and hard to find youre not gonna wanna miss this homie!

2 Likes

I am still a Whatnot defender with some caveats. I always check shows at random times and 80% or so of the live sellers I would not watch , but that other 20% can have great stuff and be cool folks. It’s like browsing your tv channels and making sure to DVR/in this case bookmark the stuff you really like to tune into regularly.

I do my show and have had some good ones and really poorly attended ones so it can be hard as a smaller seller to compete with the hugely known influencer folks. I just keep plugging away every week or two weeks tho. It’s an imperfect platform, but they all are and I still enjoy it. As I said, it’s like finding the tv channel and shows you like. Ya gotta do some surfing but once you find someone fun and awesome or get a comic for a wildly good price you’re pleased.

3 Likes

I haven’t bought anything on there in a while. Well, I accidentally bought something, asked for a refund, and was refunded. However, Whatnot never released the funds to me. I have also won some prizes. I need to do a sale on there again soon though, or try, as most of what I try to sell hasn’t sold. And I am not going to bring any big books on there and lose money

Whatnot executed the live shopping thing really well, and they’re always improving the app. I think they kinda went down the wrong road (at least w comics) when they started pushing “bigger” sellers, pumping/dumping and flooding the market and con w BS exclusives and shady personalities.

I think it would do their reputation a lot of good to highlight other sellers like @davidbitterbaum and @Anthony and countless others who bring quality books, speak normally sans “let’s go” and “what a steal”. I’m not even saying instead of the skeevy guys, just in addition to.

Maybe they did everything right for their success though, who knows… I may not know what I’m talking about lol. I just find a lot of the sellers in hotel rooms on con nights to be really shady and annoying.

1 Like