Absolute Carnage Spec

I checked the entire stock on the shelf at my local shop.

Doubt it. Theyā€™re pretty rigid about the size slab used. If it doesnā€™t fit the dimensions it isnā€™t dreaded.

But there are services that you can have them tak photos of the interior of the bookā€¦

That was one of my original complaints that an announcement should have been made the day of midnight release. Iā€™d already sold a lot of copies, more than I actually expected to by the time I heard about it including many copies to teens. Some clarification on which front cover was used for them would have been nice as well so we wouldnā€™t have to handle every book.

I still donā€™t see where any have made it to E-Bay.

Iā€™ve got two 25,s a 50 and 100 ratio I havenā€™t checked yet. Other than those last 4 chances any others would have to have already been out the door or still shipping in with the damage replacements still expected from Diamond.

Iā€™d imagine something so limited they would have thrown them in with the regular covers, none of the ratio variants, etc.

I like the mystery of it all and I like that Marvel chose not to reveal until after the initial wave of buyers had them in their hands. I give kudos to their thinking of the fans before their bottom line.

Marvel is not concerned whose handling books. Theyā€™re all going to be worthless and in $1 bins anyway in timeā€¦not to mention their terrible ink they use which rubs off on to the backing board over a short amount of time in contact. I canā€™t rely on anything arriving NM+ anymore when ordering marvel online. Those two things alone are going to be more damaging to these books condition than looking for the sketches.

Likely anyone actively looking for the sketch is doing their best not to damage the books in fear of damaging a highly collectible item, I would argue.

Comics are periodicals to them. If they become valuable collectibles one day, okay. If not, theyā€™re okay with that as well. They sold it wholesale. Their goal is quantity, not quality.

The higher ratios are never heading to the dollar bin short of catastrophic damage. The only books I havenā€™t checked are the high ratios.

As for the rub stuff you mention all the time, Iā€™ve never seen it happen on anything Iā€™ve bagged and boarded and come back later to move to the back issue listings. Maybe itā€™s the boards your sellers use, maybe itā€™s climate factors, maybe itā€™s packing techniques that allow the books to slide around inside the B&B while shipping to you. Itā€™s just not a factor here although they have arrived with rubs like you mentioned from Diamond. In particular the boards we use themselves have a side that should be facing the comic and a side that shouldnā€™t and maybe itā€™s a case of people not knowing the difference or just those brands that donā€™t offer extra coatings on the comic side of the boards.

Iā€™ve tried every type of board and just about every major online seller of new releases. Iā€™ve seen it on new releases days old and back issues sitting in bins for years. 95% of the time itā€™s Marvel, I estimate. Sometimes I see the ink transfer to neighboring comics if theyā€™ve been stacked together for long periods of time.

The only backing board I have not seen a transfer of ink are the Gerber Full Backs.

I donā€™t care if no one heeds my warningā€¦go ahead and ruin your comics. Iā€™ll have the only ones undamaged!

The one thing I havenā€™t tried is having the comic up against the non-treated/non-glossy side. Some shops I buy comics from put them in that way and it does appear to make a difference. Also, some older boards also donā€™t have that glossy side and the rare times I come across them I donā€™t see much transfer.

Maybe the glossy side is promoting movement during shipment or when flipping through long boxes? Maybe the static cling of the Gerber Mylar bags and non glossy boards also prevents movement?

I donā€™t knowā€¦but i can say Iā€™ve only been able to confirm double bagging is the best safe guard that doesnā€™t involve Gerber high end bags and boards.

Love me Gerber Archive Backer Boardsā€¦ Those and theyā€™re Mylar bags are the only ones I buy for the books I keep for the PC and that are worthy of such protection.

Iā€™m really not interested in debating it. Iā€™m really sorry you seem to have something weird going on that I donā€™t find even remotely happening. As you can clearly see in the picture just taken, not an ink transfer to speak of. Those were House of X #2ā€™s residing in them formally. They spent time bagged, stacked, moved to the shelf, justled by customers, handled again to have a price increase and then finally removed from the shelf since the price keeps going and one at a time the books removed to scan and sell online at which time they went into new B&Bā€™s without the price stickers. Many of those had books for almost two weeks. I routinely reuse the boards and bags from sets that have been consolidated or rebundled without them with no staining. I also combine books for internet listed storage to reuse the bags they were in.

Itā€™s just simply not something that happens here or is it anything that any customer has reported. Iā€™ve shipped Marvel comics in the same B&B that were sent in to CGC by customers who said they came back 9.8ā€™s and such. No complaints from them either.

I do see rub on the top comics in the Diamond boxes regularly but those were rubbing against plain thin grey cardboard pieces for the shipment and loose like that it tends to have them rub it like a gentle sandpaper. Iā€™ve seen others come out the box showing rubs but no problem myself and that includes my own collection which has books Iā€™m reading now and B&Bā€™s 9 years ago sometimes and have moved to at least 4 different locations over the years.

Iā€™m more curious to see if anyone has used Bonanza? It sounds like it offers 75,000 items listed with only a 3.5% fee if they actually sell if you stay basic and donā€™t opt to pay yearly feeā€™s for plans that offer advertising and such. It claims to import directly from e-Bay but my first attempt brought in items at a price thatā€™s not accurate and displayed prices from an old Markdown manager sale that had ended.

They do charge a 50 cent base fee so anything sold for less than $12 isnā€™t as cheap and any shipping amount over $10 gets feeā€™d as well. If itā€™s getting good reviews it might make a nice alternative to E-bay to expand the cheaper listings over though it only offers 75,000 total so that want let duplication up.

I had another question I forgot while thinking about the bags and clean backing boards. itā€™ll come to me. :redskins:

Update: Theyā€™re claiming no yearly or monthly feeā€™s with the basic plan. 75,000 items listed for free, 3.5% if they sell. Iā€™m restarting the E-bay important thing now to see if they come in with the right price now that I removed the two old Markdown Manager promotions from E-bay. Iā€™ll check it tomorrow or Wednesday since it looks like itā€™ll take that long to import.

Justin (Bonanza)

Aug 19, 3:59 PM PDT

Thatā€™s correct, our free Basic plan has no monthly or annual fees.

As far as the eBay prices go, if the eBay listings are currently priced as you want them, you can run a new import with the ā€œreviseā€ option selected, which will overwrite all of your listings with the current eBay version.

They also have a button to authorize them to collect the Sales Tax themselves.

Iā€™m getting the feeling E-Bay is trying to dump PayPal for ā€œManaged Paymentsā€ and PayPal is trying to replace E-Bay with ā€œBonanzaā€.

Doesnā€™t matter to me as long as the 75,000 listings are free unless a sale takes place.

@BlondeStabby, Iā€™m not sure if HOX2 is a good example. Does it have a lighter color back? The books the past two weeks donā€™t have the dark ink like the past few months and they seem to be doing okā€¦they are getting rubs near the staples, but the ink (being a lighter color) isnā€™t transferring to the board.

I suggest pulling out some older Venom (Cates) and Immortal Hulk comics. Not the battle lines or other themed variants, but regular issues. The Ones with the Captain Marvel movie full add on the back seem to be the worst of recent issues.

Check Avengers No Road Home Yasmine Putri covers. Age of the Republic: Boba Fett was also one that was really bad. Star Wars: Tie Fighter was bad. Silver Surfer Black #1 2nd print was horrendous.

What side of the board do you have the comic up against? Shiny or dull?

Tried buying comics 2 different times from Bonanza & had issues with both. In both cases I was told the ā€œsellers had closed their shopsā€ & forgot to remove things?? Ultimately got my $$$ back but I wonā€™t be back.

Got my TMNT 95 2nd prints today in the mail. Both had ink transfer to the boards. Almost the entire back.

Fortunately, although wide spread, it wasnā€™t too heavy and despite how much ink shows on the board it isnā€™t noticeable on the comic.

Below are some of my pics from that Captain Marvel add I was referring to. I think these are Star Wars Boba Fett Agents of the Republic and Silver Surfer Black #1 (2nd prt).

BTW: These all came from MyComic Shop, Midtown Comics and NY Collectors Cave. The last several online Orders of marvel comics have come in like this for me. This is not a storage problem if theyā€™re like this after less than 2 weeks with a B&B.

Store in a cool, dry place as well? Iā€™ve seen some rub off before (with no noticeable damage to books) but not nearly as bad as what your showing in the pics.

I see this alot when items are stored in hot warehouses. The ink gets hot enough inside the bag to ā€œBleedā€ on the boards. UPS, USPS, Fedex dont use air conditioned warehouses either. They are sweet shops. this can cause the comics to do this. Thats why BJ wont see it on his, he keeps his store below 100 degrees and less hunidity. He does see it on occasion when he gets his weekly shipment and finds some of the ink rubbed off. Same concept.

Tried buying comics 2 different times from Bonanza & had issues with both. In both cases I was told the ā€œsellers had closed their shopsā€ & forgot to remove things?? Ultimately got my $$$ back but I wonā€™t be back.

Thank you for the feedback. I can see people doing that to some extent but it appears in the setup if they linked directly to PayPal (which is required as a payment option) that using that to check out puts you at no risk and should have had the seller getting notified they had money/a sale which puts that on the two individual sellers I would think. There seems to be no requirement or vetting process so it appears anybody can set up over there for free. It imported my E-Bay seller stats so thatā€™s something buyers can check before purchasing, it brought over the store logo thatā€™s shown with most of the individual listings also like at E-bay and they appear to offer some type of separate store front as an upgrade which would I believe allow me to direct traffic there to just my store front or whatever they call it if I choose to expand and start to offer additional items up to 75,000. E-Bay feeā€™s are getting excessive right now since Iā€™m over the contract size for free listings for my E-Bay store significantly. Itā€™s time to grow there and take a larger contract size or try something new somewhere else to move some of the items from E-bay to.

As for the boards I use the slicky treated side facing front. I chose the HOX bags simply because I had a stack right beside me. Itā€™s just a typical example that I could put my hands on quickly and easily. It represents what should be the time it would normally take or more for new comics to arrive, get placed into them and then shipped to you to do whatever alternative you prefer for your long term climate needs. I use Priority Mail shipping so everything arrives normally within a few days or less. Water/airtight bagging to keep out moisture while shipping and enough snugging pressure to make sure the comics canā€™t move inside the B&B. I make sure my hands are clean and that Iā€™m not sweaty or anything while working with the books and in general as I get older and lazier loving the new heat pump/ac the landlord installed a couple summers ago.

I donā€™t sell comics outside since Iā€™ve seen many examples of what heat/humidity and direct sunlight can do to turn the bags into little sweat saunas causing moisture bubbles to form at the top of the inside of the bags that soak into the paper as they dribble down.

Itā€™s just not a problem we have or one I feel is guaranteed to happen to everyoneā€™s Marvel comics outside of some additional factors that may be avoidable. An easy one is if youā€™re getting the same problem over and over and over again from a particular source, then ask the source not to include boards. That sounds simple enough. If they want change sources to another and if it happens there ask them to stop shipping with boards inside the bags. Even that doesnā€™t guaranteed scuff elimination since it tends to happen to a number of books from Diamond while in the hands of Diamond (another set of warehouses) or prior to arrival there. I found some rub issues the other day, especially on the spines from comics coming straight out of factory sealed boxes of Absolute Carnage. Those had to happen prior to boxing or from transport shifting around inside the box rubbing against untreated cardboard again.

Well, I only order books my shop doesnā€™t getā€¦like ratio variants or 2nd prints when it comes to Marvel. Otherwise I get them minty usually. My LCS is good about putting comics in modern size bags w/o boards before I pick then upā€¦so I usually slide the bagged comic into a silver age bag and silver aged board. Viola!

I will say Marvel has basically turned me off to online ordering and having a pull list through my LCSā€¦which I suppose isnā€™t a bad thing.

Wait what did I miss, you do t order online because of marvel? Shopping online can be a very pleasant experience. :slightly_smiling_face: