Black Panther 2: Atlantis vs Wakanda

I had a stack of both, none cost me more than cover price. Sold them all long ago for $25 to $35 I think. I’m happy, no regrets. I made my profit and have moved on. :wink:

I have no real dog in the fight as I’m holding two beautiful 9.8 copies of both #7 and #9 but I’ve noticed a new trend currently of #7 being pushed and picking up steam over #9 lately. It has been the opposite for about the last year or so.

I’m also pretty happy I just grabbed that Skottie Young Riri cover at a con for an amazing price just two weeks ago that I posted.

Like always, I’m always thankful for this group and all of you…You keep me headed in the right direction. Hell, most of these Riri books we’ve talked about for ages.

1 Like

:thinking::thinking:

people waste money on such crap, there is nothing key about that book

3 Likes

Let them… buy low, sell high! That’s the name of the game!

1 Like

Str8 out if Trading Places!! Buy low sell high!!

Well, I disagree. In this new world, the first meeting of these two prominent, diverse, next gen superheroes is a key in my eyes and many others. It just won’t have legs to sustain this kind of value.

This book aside, Riri is still underpriced.

Looking closely to see if it says IRONHEART versus IRON MAN… or not:

It’s funny watching all these people try and pump books that don’t matter. Who really cares if it’s this and that characters first cover together?! Get the first appearances of the characters. Not the 30th appearance.

3 Likes

just people who missed the boat on shuri and riri keys trying to force it

3 Likes

Covers are going to matter more and more, whether all of you vets want them to or not. I, along with many others nowadays gravitate towards the art. Especially, If I’m slabbing my books, maybe the first cover with two of my favorite characters is a key worth stepping up for.

I have never opened a comic book and read it. I pull it up on an iPad and read. So, I’m not the same as you and value things differently. I chose the Dekal invincible Ironman 1 for my personal slabbed collection over #9 because the art is so amazing. You’d probably have gone the other way.

The days of collectors only caring about bronze or earlier books with sub par art on the covers because the guts have a first appearance are over. Other things you didn’t think were keys are now turning into them and because of that, people are chasing books with “no value”

Once again for those in the back… just because it has no value to YOU doesn’t mean it doesn’t have any value.

1 Like

Covers have always mattered. Great art has always been valued, not because 2 characters are appearing on a cover for the first time together. As you mentioned earlier, there’s just not enough there for it to sustain itself. First appearances will always be paramount amongst the characters other appearances, on a cover or not, regardless of who is with them. As long as comics have been heating up, once something reaches a price that isn’t attainable to the majority of the comic collecting populace, they gravitate towards the next best thing and that’s what we are seeing here. 2nd appearances, 1st full vs 1st cameo, 1st cover, etc. all have their places, but 2 characters appearing on a cover together is just reaching further away from the character themselves.

Finally, your naïveté knows no bounds if you think that covers are going to out value the 32 pages between them. Great cover art is amazing to hang on a wall, but the “guts” is where the characters are built, expanded and given the personality and power that makes them a collectible in the first place and that’s where the value lies.

3 Likes

Just you guys talking about it is going to sell a few copies. So when the idiots on YouTube who know next to nothing make a video about it it’ll sell even more copies. Key Collector will sell even more copies. That’s the only heat you’ll see on those covers is because of people pumping them. They won’t hold there value. I buy books to make money off them Not to display them. One less person buying keys sounds good to me.

4 Likes

Its the Incredible Hulk 180 effect - next best thing if you dont have the 1st appearances.

7 - cameo
9 - 1st full appearance

2 Likes

I tend to agree a bit with both arguments relative to the guts of a book versus the art on a cover of a book.

However, the first appearance and guts of a book is a constant. Yes, there can be the cameo versus full arguments and such, but there is little else to debate. It’s important and really will always remain a consistent, important factor. (So long as the character or guts maintain something that is worthy).

The cover art of a book falls into the “eye of the beholder” deal. I’m not talking the constant of a “1st cover art” book, I’m saying value tied to the art or portrayal of a character that appeals to someone. That is not a constant , consistent deal so it just doesn’t hold the same weight as things relevant to the guts of a book.

I tend to think of that Josh Middleton Batgirl cover. Man, do I love that cover. Book was hard as hell to find on release, all white cover, just gorgeous. Has good value…but there is nothing in the guts of that book. It won’t ever do better than what it’s at. The thing is, anyone of you could say “I hate Middleton and think that cover is awful”. Therein lies the issue.

3 Likes

ASM 55. Awesome first web-head cover, boring as math interior full of 22 pages of dialogue with no action or important events.

3 Likes

Take it for what it’s worth…

Multiple copies of Black Panther 1 2nd print 9.8 sold before this alert.

Wonder if connected

1 Like

What, Shuri will be black Panther?!

What a revelation. I’d better go overpay for Shuri keys now…being caught with my pants down and all…

9 Likes