CGC pickups

I’ve seen it does not affect the grade but a note will be put on the slab about the code being removed. That’s if they notice it, tho, I vaguely recall stories of folks getting and cracking slabs and the code is gone but it was not noted the sticker had been removed on the slab. I’ve not heard of it impacting value much even when noted on a slab, however.

1 Like

Thanks! I ask because i was tempted to buy a cgc 9.8 big modern but it says digital code sticker removed. I just did not know if that would make the book worth less than one that is complete…as far as true monetary value, whether for insuring or future flipping.

Let me ask a question, if you are buying a slabbed book, do you care if the sticker has been removed? I know my slabbed books will not be opened to use the code.

It honestly bugs the completionist in me. I would buy a lower grade comic with a value stamp or centerfold than one that is high grade but missing something. I’m odd tho.

2 Likes

@Anthony While I wont be opening a slab to use a digital, I dont know if this 9.8 would be lesser than another that didnt have the “digital code sticker removed” on the label. This is new territory for me which is why I’m trying to gauge the feelings of the group.

If you’re buying for investment…think about the questions you’re asking and hesitation. Aren’t all future buyers going to have those same questions?

I know it’s just a sticker, but the fact that it’s noted as missing makes it that much less of a 9.8…and you will not get the same value for it as a “complete” copy with sticker.

But if it’s for the PC, then you can probably get a good deal and be happy as long as knowing the sticker is not there means nothing.

Who knows how these things will be approached by grading companies in the future…if ASM 238 gets a qualified label for missing tattoos, shouldn’t books missing some other “piece” also get that grade?

I think the decision for ASM 238 was made by the collectors well before encapsulation became a thing…and it’s just a couple books (FF 252) this applies to…but I think the grading companies realize there’s a lot of potential business in moderns they would “loose” if they considered a missing sticker a grade hit or qualified…so their decision to just note it in the slab (fine print, essentially) keeps the books (and business) coming in. My suspicion anyway why they don’t hit it harder than a little note.

In the end, consider why you’re buying this book long term and make the best decision for your situation given the facts as they stand today.

4 Likes

@UGADavid @D-Rog
I guess that is what it comes down to, motivation. What is your motivation for the purchase? Are you looking to hold and keep in the collection or sell?

Obvious answer is what is the difference in price on a 9.9 without sticker and the 9.8 with sticker, from a selling perspective having the sticker makes sense, and if there is no difference in price, grab one with the sticker. If you are buying because you like the cover art, the sticker doesn’t make a difference.

1 Like

My five cents- if the book is missing the sticker it’s the same as missing a page. I agree that once its slabbed I most likely will not be cracking the slab to redeem code. My analogy for this if its slabbed I most likely will not be reading the book but I expect all the pages to be there.

My personal opinion is that if its missing a sticker, cgc should not be grading the book a blue universal 9.8. If it get a green or purple label 9.8 I’m okay with that as it denotes that there is some sort of defect in this case a sticker that came originally with the book is missing.

I think someone above posts noted it best as in its up to the individual collector and whether this bothers them or not as to whether to buy the slab or not but there should be some notation or different color label to notice that a sticker that was originally manufactured and came with the book is missing.

2 Likes

But what happens after years the sticker falls off inside the case? A Schrodinger’s cat kinda deal.

1 Like

I’d say the sticker matters. In my mind, this is no different than the early Valiant titles with the coupons in them.

I doubt it would fall out of the pages unless you really shook it.

Coupons, tattoos, posters, stickers…all are original parts of the book when it hit the stand.

5 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

Nice pickups. Whenever I see them cheap I’m always picking up the 1st appearances from the first 10 issues or so of new mutants vol 2. Middleton covers too.

2 Likes

Thanks, I do the same. Sweet Middleton/Bachalo covers and a bunch of first appearances.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Coffin Comics coming through on my preorder like a champ.

7 Likes

This was my 1st graded comic purchase ever…2002.

Looking at it closely I felt with a press it may yield a higher grade…

The results:

Nice little grade bump and value added. Also, somehow the pages became all white :rofl:

9 Likes

But you got rid of the super rare, ultra limited red label!

1 Like