CGC pickups

This didn’t take long. CGC received my order for ten moderns on 1/18. They finished grading them on 1/24 and they will be here on Friday. Glad I didn’t do any fast-passes. They would probably still be in line to be graded.

Anyway, this was fast which I am grateful for and even moreso the comics were graded pretty much where I thought they would be. I thought the Spawn was a 9.4/9.6 and it got a 9.8. that was the biggest surprise. One of the 9.6 regular Red Hulk #1 covers I thought had a chance at a 9.8 but not this time. Again, overall pretty much what I was hoping for.

I pressed each comic. If I didn’t, they probably would have come back 9.2 to 9.4 on average with maybe one or two 9.6 copies. Love pressing!

Spawn 119 8/02 Image Comics Modern 9.8 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics McGuinness Variant Cover Modern 9.6 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics McGuinness Variant Cover Modern9.8 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Wizard World Los Angeles Edition Modern 9.8 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Wizard World Los Angeles Edition Modern 9.6 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Hero Initiative/Atomic Comics Edition Modern 9.8 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Hero Initiative/Atomic Comics Edition Modern 9.8 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Modern 9.8 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Modern9.6 WHITE

Hulk 1 3/08 Marvel Comics Modern 9.6 WHITE

5 Likes

Same here. It’s a little bit of history to that book (the day they actually hit the newsstand in some cases). I thought it might hold some of my comics to a 9.6 but most came back 9.8.

2 Likes

The reason cgc graded books are coming back so fast is because no one is sending books in anymore lol. You can get graded books on ebay for $30. My online shop has been sending out notifications that they’ve lowered their prices on graded books and are constantly trying to clear them out. Looking at the slabs I can see why. They’ve spent years sending in complete modern drek and now that the economy is hurting they’re stuck with these slabs that no one wants. I can’t believe the stuff they were sending in.

Shops were most likely sending in hundreds if not thousands of books every week with the market boom when they still had the mindset that you had to slab everything. I’m talking about random issues of Ms Marvel, non keys, each and every copy of later printings.

Now that shops aren’t sending in everything to get graded anymore its no surprise that the regular folks like us are getting our books back quickly.

4 Likes

I know! Sometimes just looking for comics on eBay I come across some of the most bizarre random drek modern books bring graded.

Like modern books not worth cover price but graded 5.0. What the hell? Should make a thread a d post some of these for a good laugh. Been a little too quite here lately.

4 Likes

This :100: :100: :100: :100:

You guys do remember that I used to do “cheap slabs” posts on the main site. I used to find so many deals on slabs for years.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time to bring it back since it’s a buyers market right now…

1 Like

That list might go to Infinity & Beyond these days

1 Like

I’m curious to see how this market shift impacts CGC. Clearly, as mentioned, there’s far less incoming orders, so turnaround times have greatly improved. I wonder if we’ll start to see some deals from CGC. “Grade 2, get one free” type things to try to drive more revenue. Once that fails, they’ll probably have to start reducing staff. Retail in general is going through this adjustment phase, which is why you’re seeing so many layoffs across the country.

Maybe we’ll get a coupon for “submit 5 books for grading, get a free grade bump!” :slight_smile:

1 Like

But you’d find good books cheap. I’m talking about bad books that should have been thrown in the trash, not sent to CGC!

Until TATs are same day on moderns, they have a backlog (I.e. consistent work) and don’t need to run a sale to earn more revenue.

If anything, a backlog is potentially lost revenue.

I didn’t post the bad books. But I found plenty of them too.

To answer the question about writing on a cover and a CGC grade, I have the first appearance of Black Cat in whatever Spider-Man issue that is (can’t remember at the moment) with a small letter “p” written in blue pen on the front cover that got a CGC 9.0. It was graded prior to 2017 but I don’t remember when exactly. It’s in a box somewhere (lol) or else I’d look up the grading date.

According to Overstreet a 9.9 is the highest grade a book can have with arrival dates inked, penciled or stamped on them.

1 Like

These are WhatNot Variants I assume? :thinking: :rofl:

Congrats on these gems!

1 Like

Hah yeah they’re ninja funk x do you pooh fire variants, couldn’t miss out!!

1 Like

A few more from my last submission.

7 Likes

7 Likes

9 Likes

5 Likes