CGC pickups

I LOVE THIS. Time to hunt :triumph:

Got this from ebay. Been wantinf a 9.8 and got it for $145. Some slight newton rings but book still looks good

2 Likes

Question for you folks: Would you rather have a mid-grade incomplete book that presents well in the slab, or a moderately lower grade that is complete??

I like my comics to be 100% complete in any way possible, that’s just me though. I will buy a comic in rougher shape that has everything before I buy one in amazing condition that’s missing inserts or a value stamp or something. I think it’s just me being a little obsessive.

1 Like

I buy the book, not partial books that look good in slabs. So I’d go with the complete book over a partial book every single time!

1 Like

I would say one could grade an incomplete book but it should be treated differently I think since the book isn’t completely intact (maybe ripped off pages get a pass depending on size of the page missing, etc) but for me, these should be treated differently and I think they should lower the overall value if there is any by a significant amount. It’d be like buying a classic car but the doors are missing from it or the engine is gone.

I will not purchase an incomplete book. Even a missing Marvel Value Stamp is a no.

5 Likes

Same. I won’t go after a comic with missing anything… unless it was a very expensive key and that was the absolute only way I could afford it. I can see collectors on a bit of a budget going for a Hulk 181 with a missing stamp on purpose to save the bank account a little. If it is the only way to get the grail you want, I don’t have an issue… Non keys or semi-keys, forget it. They have to be 100% complete or no sale.

2 Likes

I would also avoid incomplete books unless it’s an amazing deal or your only way to afford a grail mega-key.

1 Like

Sold my copy a few years back. Regretted it. It was a 9.6 CGC, one of the first comics I had graded.

So price was right and picked this up. But this is a good example of how loose CGC grades now.

Pictures don’t show everything, but these are not major defects. One of these would be ok as a 9.8. 2 or 3 a 9.6. But there are enough accumulation of these little “nits” it is not a 9.6.

There are more minor things, but couldn’t get a good pic through the slab. I’d say at best a 9.4. Possibly a 9.2 on a bad day. Little areas of color rubbing off and small ticks and dings along the edges.

Going to hold onto it anyway until I can score a 9.6 CBCS copy, then I’ll fund that purchase with this sale.

3 Likes

Wow, that is a verrrry generous 9.6! It is a certified blue label so it will retain whatever value a 9.6 is getting.

There are a few reasons I get my books graded. The biggest reason is for when I want to sell. CGC gets the best return by far. Preservation/protection would be the second reason. I personally like looking through my books but some of them have just become too valuable to do that anymore. Getting them graded is a very good way to help keep them safe and also helps if you want to insure them.

Outside of that I really don’t care that much for CGC. More often than not their grades are like D-rog said, far too inconsistent and liberal, where an obvious 9.2 NM- gets a 9.4 or even a 9.6. It is what it is and CGC does have a purpose that is useful to me I just don’t have as much respect for them as I did years back.

2 Likes

I see their grading remains top notch, “best in the industry”. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Got some mail from cgc today.
I really like the rocket and will be keeping it :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Makes me wish Rocket and Lobo had a crossover. Both love space!

1 Like

Got that Action 61 w the cracked case back and they succumbed to my begging and put it in a regular slab! Ah so much better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Was it in a magazine size? I have one magazine size graded book and it doesn’t fit in anything I have. I’m definitely not buying a magazine size graded plastic bin for one book. I was tempted though.

This is a series if you haven’t read it, stop what you’re doing right now and read it!! I’m expecting some heat on these as it’s not only a great read but it ties into The Authority and if it’s not adapted it’s a missed opportunity.

I’ve been picking up copies for years and have read it at least six times. There’s a preview in C-23 #6 & Gen 13 #33. I’d be interested in peoples opinion on the topic.

2 Likes

Yeah the before pic on the left is the magazine slab. What book do you have in the magazine slab? If it’s a golden age comics or similar you might have luck getting them to reslab in a regular holder.

It’s Ed Brubakers The Fade Out #1. It was a special edition of the first issue in magazine size, with some additional content, I believe.

1 Like

My favorite Brubaker and Philips project.

1 Like