Comic Investment 2020

Yeah, I’m not going that far. But I would go as far as to say “Why is Stan Lee’s signature on this Ultimate Fallout #4”… he had nothing to do with this character… that’s when I would think it devalues the book. Only the actual people who either wrote, sketched, inked or colored or threw the words in the bubbles are allowed to sign the book to increase the value.

1 Like

I’m just happy that I can say I own the 1st appearance of Wolverine. :wink:

2 Likes

I kind of agree…I remember when Stan Lee would sign for free…gladly… You could talk to him one on one in the parking lot if you saw him without any hired security getting in the way.Then promoters turned him into a commodity. I think books he wrote are the way to go for signatures, but that is just me. Is there “Value”, well now that he is dead, I suppose, but up to a grand? I’ll pass on that.

Maybe as time passes there will be demand but seriously, the man signed any and everything. But yes, the books he was creator or co-creator on would be the books to have his signature on.

Maybe it’s just me but I’m not big on autographs on a 8x10 photo of the person… it’s only cool to have them sign something they created.

1 Like

That’s all that matter to me collecting comics I can say I have first Wolverine then that snowballed into every other X-men 1st appearance

2 Likes

That’s what my wife says. I’m more of “if it has the signature, it has more value”

1 Like

But like everyone else stated. It has to be the signature of the creator.

Oh man. Now I don’t know. Maybe just go with a 180 CGC that’s not signed and screw it lol

1 Like

My Hulk #180 is around a 6.0

A high grade IH180 very well could see the highest returns out of the few books discussed here…:thinking:

1 Like

I need to check on that one as I don’t know if my LCS has one.

I’d avoid that double signed, low grade & incomplete hulk like the plague. A signature is a defect. You can spin it anyway you want but that’s what they are. I’m one of those collectors who believe that and I don’t actively go after signatures. I own some but they were parts of different lots bought over the years for the most part. If a kid signing his book he bought as a kid is a defect or a newsstand penciling or stamping a date, so is a creators signature.

1 Like

I’m with you there man. I picked up a solid 8.5 IH 180 with some spine roll I think would press out to bump it considerably higher. Paid 500 for it and that was in store credit I had from trade ins at my local shop I’ve been coming to since I was a kid. Admittedly, part of my desire for it is an acknowledgement that, as a parent, I’ll never have the spare cheddar for a Hulk 181, but I also firmly believe that book has been criminally undervalued by the campaign to distinguish between a cameo and a “true first”. Wolverine and Darksied have been done dirty, and in my opinion, have a ton of value in their firsts. Wolvey with this cameo business and DS with his cameo commanding more than FP#1 for no discernable reason. It’s all nonsense IMHO. The loudest voice seems to call the value on some of these keys. Simple as that.

1 Like

It’s because Forever People was a $10 nm book 10 years ago that no one cared for.

It’s one of those books I wish I only bought that book for years and had 1000s of copies bought at >$10
Forever People #1
Fantastic Four #52
Ultimate Fallout #4
All fall into that category for me, I got one copy of each cheap but I could be retired.

1 Like

I don’t hold regrets myself but I do look back and realize when I had 10 x EOSV #2 in my cart at Midtown… then right before checkout, I’m like, this is crazy, this new character isn’t gonna take off. So I dropped it to 4 copies instead.

Then it was like that same week or so later before it really took off, I was in KY for my grandfathers funeral and I hit up one of the local shops there. They had like 5 or 6 available on the shelf. I grabbed a few and was like… nah, these Walking Dead back issues are good enough for me (I got some great early ones for dirt cheap too at the time when they were going for a lot more)… and put them back.

1 Like

I hear you there. I have massive regrets on not move moving on 52 when it was still gettable. The other two I bought for 10 and 15 dollars each respectively. One as a kid and the other once I saw the writing on the wall for Miles. Still kick myself for not moving on FF 52 though. I always told myself the price was too high and would come down eventually. Now it’s destined to be one of those perma-holes in my collection like 48. I’m just glad I own 49 and 50 at least.

1 Like

FF #49 is a huge book! When Galactus makes his presence known in the MCU it will gain some more ground on FF #48! It’ll never overtake it but it will move a bit closer.

1 Like

There was a time collectors would not buy an incomplete Hulk #181. Turn their noses and walk away.

1 Like

Anyone have any thoughts on Spider-Man 49 the 1:25 inhyuk lee cover? I love the cover and not many are for sale. Cheapest I see is a 39.99 bin. Spec thoughts?

Book doesnt come out until September 30th…