COVID-19 and Comics

All schools in my district just shut down indefinitely (saying to expect it to be more than 2 weeks). Kids had a planned day off today, anyway. No reported cases within 100 miles, but they feel it’s the right thing to do. The state waived the 180 day minimum school year to allow schools not to be hindered by it to make the right decisions. So this was a matter of “when” not “if” in my mind.

I’m not arguing. My wife works from home so we will be ok. But others I do sympathize it’ll be challenging to balance work and child care out…

We are now at 7 cases here in San Diego. Plus on top of that, they are sending all of the people that where stranded on the cruise ship to the Miramar base. That’s 15 mins from where I live. They will be there for 14 days for quarantine. People at Costco are going savage for toilet paper and water. To tell you that last week when we went, people had carts full of that stuff. We just got out regular run and went home. People are going crazy over this virus. I just hope it’s over soon so that way we can all just go back to living our lives.

1 Like

That’s really more info than I need … :vulcan_salute:

A Message from Geppi Family Enterprises Chief Relationship Officer Chris Powell:

Diamond Comic Distributors and Alliance Game Distributors take our vital role in the supply chain very seriously. Our existing Employee Wellness and Business Continuity Teams have had their charters expanded to include the Coronavirus outbreak and its implications.

Our Employee Wellness Team has been focused on the immediate issues surrounding the teams in our various facilities, such as updated cleaning regimens recommended by the CDC, a waiver for employees who want to take sick days but may not have accrued time, increasing our work-from-home capabilities, testing of our employee emergency contact system of emails and text messages, and new or updated policies relating to business and personal travel. I’ve summarized our travel policies at the end of this message.

Our Business Continuity Team is focused on assessing each of our individual locations and identifying our path forward should the workforce at that location be diminished by the virus for some period of time.

Both teams are meeting several times a week to identify weaknesses not covered by our existing disaster recovery plans and document remedies, because we recognize the importance of weekly shipments to our retailers and vendors.

While both teams have prioritized internal communication, we are now working through the early stages of a plan to keep the supply chain informed through regular updates like this one. We will be reaching out to individual suppliers to ask what steps they are taking themselves, and anyone can feel free to reach out to us through my email or through your brand manager. Included in this process will be logistics/freight providers, printers, publishers, and numerous other vendors crucial to our operations.

I think these steps should provide some level of comfort as we move forward, for all involved, and will keep you in the loop as we make other changes/improvements.

Thank You,

Our Interim Travel Policies

Business-related domestic travel:
o Air travel is suspended. Non-air travel requires approval from a senior member of management

Business-related international travel:
o All international travel is suspended until further notice

Personal air travel:
o We ask to be informed of travel in advance, so that we can identify precautions we may want to take, up to and including self-quarantine at home for some period upon the employees’ return.

Conferences:
o All attendance is currently suspended.

In-person meetings:
o All vendor meetings are to be held via conference call or video conference, and internal meetings are to be kept to a minimum.

Comic cons are shutting down, large and small. Movies are pushing back release dates. Amazon is sold out of toilet paper. School are shutting down. All major pro sports are shutting down. I have a package coming from singapore with comics for a giveaway. I am going to quarantine those books for 9 days before giving them away.

Support mail order comic shops. Have books pulled from your local comic shop and held. It is not worth getting sick over

Chuck is and has always been a scumbag (who now hides behind a dress to say “can’t pick on me, I’m a minority now!”).

Question: if you had to wipe your a$$ with one of your comics in your collection, what issue would that be?

Better make sure I know it’s you… like I said, if it’s the end times, if it moves I shoot… :wink:

I’d never wipe with anything out of my own collection … however, I’d pull a dollar box copy of any Wonder Woman 178-203 …

First, it must be newsprint, back in the old days, you would take newspaper and wad it up a few times to “soften” it before usage …

That Wonder Woman run simply because it was shit to begin with, so it should just be used for shit …

Oh, hell, I should have checked the prices on those WW’s …

It at actually be more valuable as TP still…

1 Like

Yeah, if you look at it that way … crazy days …

I just saw on the CBC nightly news broadcast that a team of doctors based out of Sunnybrook Hospital, in Toronto, has identified and isolated the genetic sequence for the Corona virus. This is a huge step towards developing a vaccine for this virus. :canada:

Don’t feed the monkey’s… or they get lazy and depend on us!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/17-700-bottles-hand-sanitizer-155735689.html

Not to sound mean but I hope he gets stuck with his 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer…

1 Like

What a piece of sh!t. The guy states in the article that he has turned his Amazon resell store into a 6 figure salary, and he still feels the need to gouge, and potentially harm his fellow citizens during a pandemic the likes of what most of us have never experienced, by clearing the local supply from the shelves. Too bad for anyone in the area who may of truly needed those products to protect their family. Instead of focusing on what he can do to help, he takes full advantage of the greed that presented itself and in doing so he endangers his community.

1 Like

Just wait for the Coronavirus vaccine to be announced…

Demand > Supply

I bet Pharma Bro dude sitting in jail is cringing on his missed opportunity right now to profit off people in need…