Curses! Spoiled Again! (9/11)

If only there was such continuity in comic book art. There are countless differences between how a character is drawn from one artist to the next. The color of the eyes isn’t really a tell tale sign. However, it is my understanding that this is a DIFFERENT Ben Parker. Much like the Jon Kent’s I mentioned previously. Who the heck is speculating on a 16 year old book with a baby in It? Cable as a baby was a flop and Jonathan Samuel Kent as a baby (Convergence) is worth less than his first as a boy. Not that either are worth much.

I know at least one person did yesterday taking my last copy for $8 plus about a dozen other comics with it. It appears there’s already E-Bay sales today for $35 and $50

Thats all well and fine, @BJ. But those real world applications do not apply to fictional characters. If Benjamin Richard Parker has blue eyes in his first appearance, then he will/should have blue eyes for every story he is in.

That’s not even a real thing to say there’s some rule that comic book human beings have to behave biologically in a way that’s completely different from humans in general. He didn’t have teeth or pubic hair as a baby either so should comic book rules say he’s never allowed to grow those also since it would be considered a change? How about breasts, would growing those make it a completely different character since a female baby wouldn’t have them? How about Jennika? Now that she’s a turtle, the change obviously makes her different than when she was a baby?

I don’t have have an opinion on the book in general at this point but eye color alone isn’t a factor at all and absolutely not a fact that proves anything.

To each their own, @BJ. But Ill bet you dollars to doughnuts that the brown eyed ‘Ben’ character in question here is not the same blue eyed Benjy from SG59. My eye colour theory is stronger evidence to a conclusion than your personal experience of having your eyes and hair colour change.
I believe that characters are created with a profile of their character. They have a defined hair colour, eye colour, sex, ethnicity, among othe traits that, in some instances, have held true for 80 years. If a character is meant to have blue eyes, then said character is to have those same coloured eyes throughout their existence. Using eye colour to distinguish one character from another is not a ridiculous way to determine who said character could be, or couldn’t be. Superman does not have green eyes and pink hair.

Also consider these factors:

Ben Parker in Spider-Girl #59, MJ was still alive and Peter was still Spider-Man, not missing his arm.

This new Spider-Man title is definitely a different Universe or just completely different story entirely. I would not consider this appearance of Ben Parker the same as in Spider-Girl #59. Spider-Girl #59 is now a thing of the past in my opinion.

Need cgc/cbcs to start identifying firsts in eye color…

“Hey, isn’t that the first issue where peter had green eyes?..I MUST HAVE IT!!!”

So dreamy… Love me some Peter Parker green eyes…

1 Like

“These eyes have seen a lot of loves, but they’re never gonna see another one like I had with you…”

2 Likes

@D-Rog I can’t help but immediately picture that scene from “Superbad” when I read your song quote lol!

Eye color alone is never going to be a determining factor, especially when the same book can have coloration difference from different printers having different fill levels of the inks used. There are books where color isn’t the same from cover to interior on things as huge as Captain Americas shield. Here’s an enjoyable read showing this exact thing how one artist to the next can draw the same thing with different colorations. https://www.cbr.com/captain-america-shield-outer-ring-red-blue/
It’s still his shield. I’ve even read stories where Marvel used to have people to fix Jack Kirbys shield colorations after he submitted them.

This kid can be from any multiverse you want and not the same but it’s not going to make the comics already sold suddenly unsold. The market goes where it wants too just like with those What-if’s. Some people look at 1st as 1st no matter what happens later. Po has some good facts that can’t be explained away very easily.

Ben Parker in Spider-Girl #59, MJ was still alive and Peter was still Spider-Man, not missing his arm.

That’s the kind of "facts’ you build an argument around that can’t be explained away easily thru simple biological growth, artist error, interpretation or printing defects.

Either way I sold out of Spider-girl 59 Monday before anyone here was even talking about the book. That brings me back to my original question,

Think that’s going to make the issue more in demand or less in demand?

Judging by the Spoiler Anthony posted it appears we’re getting a Ben Parker coming out story and not a Peter MJ story.

Even Abrams and his Son who are writing it claim it’s a “new take” per se… so I don’t think they’re basing this Ben Parker from the one in Spider-Girl, etc… It’s a brand new story from what I’ve gathered.

Time to move on. No more pumping and dumping Spider-Girl #59 I say… sell’em if you can but not the same and not the first appearance of this new Ben Parker…

2 Likes

We can put the eye color thing to rest also. Here’s baby Franklin Richards with blue-green eyes.

Here’s older Franklin Richards with black eyes.

Because almost all Caucasian babies are born with blue or grayish looking eyes. Let it go already… more important things to worry about.

:roll_eyes: :sleeping: - Franklin Richards has blue eyes. There is no such thing as ‘black’ eyes. Find me a picture of Franklin Richards with Green eyes and you’ll get that prize you are so desperately seeking, @BJ.

Sure there’s such thing as a black eye…

Come to Texas and I’ll give ya one if you want! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I doubt it is the same Ben. In Ben’s universe, many things are different, including a dead aunt may and a peter who can barely walk without a cane.

Only “green” I care about is the green I made after finding a few of those Spider-Girl issues in a dollar bin.
Apparently the people who paid for them didn’t care one bit about eye color or Marvel Universe consistency, but did have a very high fever associated with the ole FOMO!

The money is all and well, and please do sell them if you got them. But, Im interested in facts. The fact is that the Benjy in Abrams new book is not the same character as the Benji in SG59. This is important for two reasons;

1. speculating on the wrong character is just lazy.
  2. speculating on the wrong character wont work out, generally, in the long term.

Sell ‘em if ya got ‘em, but I wouldnt be buying at inflated prices. It’s essentially a p’n’d for SG59.
Nobody seems to care about the facts, they just want to take advantage of those who are easily manipulated. There are, typically, longer term consequences for those types of actions, imo. Its not healthy for the speculation community if we pump the wrong books and ignore the facts in order to do so. M2c.

Very true…the entire concept of “Speculation” and the hobby we all apparently love flies directly in the face of the entire definition of “facts”.

Speculation=“to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence”

Nobody is putting a gun to the heads of those buying comics based on speculation. There are few instances where any comic book is truly worthy of a full fledged investment for speculation purposes anymore.

If we are going to only discuss books that are truly worthy of “spec” & factually confirmed/verified as to their contents and the reason they should be invested in, this site and others like it will become awfully quiet.

Well, who knows. If What if #10 has taught me anything, not all firsts have to be in the 616 to gain big time momentum in the collector market. Regardless, even if the prices go way down I doubt SG #59 will ever be a dollar bin book again.