Darth Vader 3

Back cover color rub being a possibility on this book, I’d say a $200 9.6 is a reasonable price right now. Depends on the defect preventing it from 9.8. If it’s a pressable defect, that’s a great deal.

Call around and see if any local shops have one. You might be able to get a better price than online.

1 Like

I think the analysis right now is: if you could go back in time and get an Ultimate Fallout 4 9.6 for $200, would you?

2 Likes

I have been buying more star wars books off of ebay lately, often no other bidders for great books. Venom 2 may be distracting people right now but more Star Wars news is around the corner to peak interest.

2 Likes

On that note, there are two auctions for DV3 at $75 right now.

This what miles is becoming to marvel is what aphra can be for SW

On that note, let them know you want one so they can keep an eye out when buying back issue collections. I know my two LCS owners love knowing what I’m looking for so they can buy issues knowing they have a buyer.

The world needs an Indiana Jones that isn’t Indiana Jones. You know what I mean?

4 Likes

With Hayden Christensen back for obi series, I just don’t see Disney passing on chance to use him in aphra series

2 Likes

I personally would not buy this book ungraded. Any variant or cover A. Or don’t pay a price that you would not pay for a 9.4. Just about all raw copies likely have color rub. All of them. That dark back cover sitting against a backing board for years…sucking all the ink off of it.

If you do buy raw get high res picks, especially of the back spine region.

When I bought mine raw a few years back I got so lucky…sort of…it came back a 9.8, but I was extremely selective and finally found one that looked like it was a contender.

Graded 9.4s are around $150 depending on the day. So I wouldn’t pay more than $150 for a raw copy….and it would have to look perfect. Any more than that I’d want to see it in person.

Looks like 9.6s are $200 ish.
Ironically the lowest 9.4 is at $189 BIN.
9.8s at $400

I think 9.6s at less than $200 sound like a good deal right now….especially for the PC.

2 Likes

A recent auction ended at $95 for a 9.4….that’s insane.

On a related note, people are paying stupid prices for fourth prints:

2 Likes

Yep, when that trend started I bought every copy of darth Vader 1 5th print on ebay

For only a $50 difference, I’d pick the slab. It’ll cost about that much to grade/ship it anyway and you don’t need to wait months on end to get it back. I’m not a snob about 9.6s; they’re often better bang for the buck if it’s for your PC or you plan to hold a while.

2 Likes

Often a 9.8 could grade as a 9.6 and vice versa given a different day and a different grader.

4 Likes

They are $100 here for the set which includes issues 1-6 think my LCS still has 10 or so sets. I grabbed a few when they were going for $30.

I might grab them all during Black Friday, they usually have a 75% off sale then take them over to the UK to resell :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been buying this book for a while. I currently have 4 graded 9.8’s, 1 4th print 9.8 and 4-5 raw copies.

The color rub is a real problem, only one of the raw copies I bought didn’t have it.

As for what to pay, I personally would buy raw for under $150 and 9.8 under $400 right now.

You will have a hard time finding 9.8 to submit so if you really want it go ahead and buy graded and try and win an auction maybe between $350 and $400.

I’ll just reinforce what others have already said. If you really want a 9.8…but it outright/graded. Of just about all the modern books I’ve sent in for grading, it has been one of the very hardest for me to get a 9.8. Those color rubs are just a killer and more often than not, not indicated in pics or not able to truly be seen in a pic.

I feel like there is a definitely lull in the Star Wars heat at the moment and that can change on a dime. I’m in buy mode for any of the Dark Horse books/Vader books I didn’t have (which is luckily just a few).

Speaking of both Doctor Aphra and color rubs. The Doctor Aphra Annual #2 with Winloss and Nok on the cover is another complete pain in neck to find without horrible rubs. If those characters ever appear with her…that is another crazy tough one.

1 Like

It had been a while since I checked so I wanted to see if I had the fourth print. I did! I have a couple Granov cover A first prints around here somewhere. Probably in the “duplicates” long boxes.

4 Likes

5 Likes