Dirty D's F.O.C

I didn’t order any but Image is giving an extra 5% discount level for all the reprints this week. It’s not enough to get me interested but may bump other peoples orders higher.

I am a bit tired of negative space variants, but I kinda dig that Ultimates one.

1 Like

Hello CHU! Back again for another FOC Sunday! The last few weeks have been a little meh…but this week there are a few books I’m excited about. A little blend of everything…covers have some good stories underneath, and even the read picks have good covers.

COVERS

Spider-Boy #7 (David Baldeon Black Costume Variant)

The conclusion to Spider-Boy’s first story arc promises a major turning point in the life of Bailey Briggs! His life (and this comic) will never be the same again!

But that’s not why I’m highlighting this book. It’s the cover, which is a negative space variant homage to one of the “original” negative space covers, issue 101 of Spectacular Spider-Man. And for that reason this is the Dirty D Cover-of-the-Week!

Batman Gargoyle of Gotham #3 (of 4) (Cover A)

The penultimate installment of Rafael Grampa’s visionary series! Batman’s investigation leads him into the deadly lair of Doctorgeist–where his presence is not only expected…but welcomed. Their savage fight for the soul of Gotham–and the soul of Bruce Wayne himself–will send shock waves through the city from which it might never recover. And elsewhere, the fugitive Crytoon makes a twisted acquaintance that finally gives him something to smile about…

I’m curious whether this issue we’ll meet the joker of this story…and whether that character is the creepy rendition that is on the cover on Cover A.

Titans #11 (Cover C - Design Variant)

I believe Vanadia is a new character, but she may have debuted in issue #10. But here’s her first cover and it’s an open order design variant.

Void Rivals #9

It looks as though Darak and Solila will find the Autobot Springer (featured on the cover) buried in the wasteland, formally introducing him to the Energon Universe. For those unfamiliar, Springer first debuted in the Transformers Movie #1 (1986), the boyfriend of Arcee and was a staple in the 80’s cartoon. I’m really loving the Void Rivals story and how it’s re-introducing beloved classic transformers characters. And this cover is a pretty sweet.

NOTABLE REPRINTS

Military Comics #1 Facsimile Edition

Here’s an interesting facsimile. Military Comics #1, featuring Blackhawk’s first appearance. Unfortunately no foil variant for this one.

Crisis on Infinite Earths #2 (of 12) (Facsimile Edition Foil Variant)

Crisis on Infinite Earths facsimile editions continue with issue #2. Foils included.

INDEPENDANT SPOTLIGHTS

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Alpha #1

This special issue explores the effects this change has on those connected to the brothers, from Old Hob to Jennika, across the five boroughs and all the way through Mutant Island. It’s hard to tell how important someone is until they are gone.

Filling the gap between issue #150 of the (no longer) ongoing series and what is looking to be sort of a reboot with the new series. A lot of covers, so pick the one you like for the read.

Canto: A Place Like Home #1

Fan favorite Canto returns in this finale series to the Shrouded Man saga. I like cover A as well.

PICK OF THE WEEK

Edge of Spider-Verse #4

Comic debut of the SPIDER-WOMAN from ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE MOVIE. Also promises we will witness the true birth of the Spider-Society setting up the next SPIDER-VERSE storytelling epic!

Maybe we’ll learn more about her pregnancy as well. Long term spec here, though. Lots of covers featuring this version of Jessica, but she is best when on her bike! So stick with cover A.

And there you have it! Have a great week everyone!

5 Likes

Did not put together an FOC article this week because there really wasn’t much to get excited about. That, and I spent just about every waking moment working outside around my house before it rained Sunday evening.

But here are a few interesting books that I thought I’d highlight.

Star Wars High Republic #8

Baron Boolean appears on this cool cover. I believe he’s appeared in a few previous books this year, so not a first in story.

Mammoth #1 (of 5)

Something is wrong in the deep forests of Broke Tree Valley. The legends speak of something larger than human comprehension…A monstrous phantom that disappears for decades at a time. Now, it’s back, and things are about to go Very Bad if four people-Olivia, Jess, Kokoro, and Mason, scientists who have come to the small city of Kasbro to investigate a bizarre series of seismic activities in this heavily forested valley-can’t put the Mammoth to rest. One real problem with this is…Olivia’s dead.

New limited series from Mad Cave sounds interesting.

Uncle Scrooge Infinity Dime #1 (Alex Ross Cover)

When UNCLE SCROOGE’S fabled money bin gets stolen by a shocking culprit, the world’s toughest duck must undertake a quest unlike any other, alongside a surprising array of allies: other versions of himself! Also re-presenting the classic CHRISTMAS ON BEAR MOUNTAIN, the first appearance of Scrooge McDuck by the legendary DISNEY COMICS creator, CARL BARKS!

Marvel publishing a Disney character story is interesting by itself. But I like the Alex Ross cover for this book.

2 Likes

Hello CHU Nation. Happy Mothers Day to all the hard working Moms out there!

Sorry I’m getting this out so late on Sunday. I have been gardening and mulching what feels like 24-7 since Friday evening…and in the little time I wasn’t doing that it was something Mothers Day related.

Fortunately (for me) there isn’t a whole lot that caught my attention this week, so this will be short.

Covers

IMG_2253

Deadpool #3 (Movie Variant)

Deadpool / Wolverine is on the horizon. So this cover might get popular. These movie covers tend to “pop” when the actors/actresses featured in them do a private signing or appearance at a con. Although not “art”, still going to call this the cover of the week.

Reprints and Facsimiles

Batman Gotham by Gaslight #1 (Facsimile Edition - Foil Variant))

I thought this book already had a facsimile. This elsewords universe is going to get expanded upon in a few months with “Batman Gotham by Gaslight the Kryptonian age”.

This is also a weird book to be foiled.

IMG_2254

Deadpool Kills Marvel Universe #1 Facsimile Ed

We pretty much know that Deadpool will be killing off a lot of marvel multiverse characters in the new movie. So it makes sense that this book would get the facsimile treatment. No foil variant.

There are also variant themed books coming too.

Mad Magazine #1 Facsimile Edition

Mad magazine gets the fax treatment. No foil variant.

IMG_2256

Godzilla #1 (Facsimile Ed Foil Variant)

This has been teased for a while now. Finally on FOC. And it’s getting foiled!

Reads

IMG_2260

Thanos Annual #1

Thanos is off to find the INFINITY STONES! He’s in for a shock when he discovers that the Infinity Stones have been incorporated into actual people like STAR, QUANTUM, OVERTIME, PRINCE OF POWER and MULTITUDE! But wait, there are six Infinity Stones but only five people listed?!

Scarlett #1 (of 5)

Shana “Scarlett” O’Hara is about to take on the most dangerous black ops mission of her career: infiltrating the mysterious rising power in Japan known as Clan Arashikagew, Scarlett must use her very particular set of skills to survive undercover… and discover a shocking weapon that could change the balance of power on Earth.

Personally, I’ll wait for the inevitable Howard white background variant. There are several “spoiler” incentive ratio variants.

Indy Spotlight

Cult of the Lamb #1

In a land pervaded by cruelty and evil, the most innocent among us-young Lamb, the last of their kind-was selected to become a final dark sacrifice. Their death would forever seal the darkest of the Old Gods from our realm and usher in a new age ruled by the four eldritch Bishops of the Old Faith. So Lamb died . . . then forged a deal of their own.

At the crossroads of eternity, Lamb was met by the imprisoned deity known as the One Who Waits, who revealed the lies and distortions of the false prophets who rule the world above. And so, Lamb was bequeathed the power and responsibilities of the Red Crown and returned to the land of living with unholy powers to exact vengeance and deliver a new cult unto the earth.

Based on the popular video game by Master Monster. Could be a hit.

Falling in Love on the Path to Hell #1

Double-Length First Issue. The sun set on samurai and gunslingers at roughly the same time, but our two leads didn’t die off quietly. In the East, Asami, an Onna-musha warrior and female samurai, would rather die with her weapons than surrender them to a sword hunt. In the West, the gunslinger MacRaith follows his revenge to the bitter end and pays the ultimate price. The future lovers are mortally wounded a world apart and awake together in a purgatory ruled by a ruthless society of damned warriors.

Cover reminds me of Star Wars. Samurai vs Gunslinger!

Pick of the Week

IMG_2261

Ultimate X-Men #4

Marvel revealed that Peach Momoko will be debuting four new characters in Ultimate X-Men #4. Momoko creations Mori and Natsu - but also the debut of Ultimate Universe versions of Surge and Nico Minoru

Issue #3 comes out this week, so beware the last page cameo. Cover A appears to feature some of the new characters. But there is also a nice Momoko variant.

IMG_2262

Ultimate X-Men #4 (Peach Momoko Variant)

Parting Words.

It’s late! Gotta get this out (at least on the forums) before Midnight or it turns into a pumpkin! Later!

1 Like

Hey CHU Nation. It’s another Sunday and that means its FOC time once again! Running late, so dive in!

Reads / Covers

IMG_2293

Amazing Spider-Man #52
This issue is so shocking and troubling we can’t even show you the cover!
The cover has been spoiled. Enter The-Spider-Man-Who-Cackles…? :man_shrugging:

Dirty D Cover-Of-The-Week

IMG_2297

Sensational She-Hulk #9 (Hughes Variant)
The most explosive SHE-HULK story in HISTORY starts here! Something is brewing that is going to have effects felt beyond just SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK. You cannot afford to miss it!
Another “mystery” solicitation. Has me intrigued. If it’s a dud at least there’s a Adam Hughes cover.

Reprints & Facsimiles

IMG_2288

Spider-Woman #7 (2nd Printing)
Normally I’d rank this higher being a first appearance (The Assembly) with the characters on the cover…But (1) they’ve all already had cover appearances, and (2) there’s a 1:25 incentive. So maybe a long term hold

IMG_2285

Amazing Spider-Man #257 Facsimile Edition
If you’re collecting these, here’s the next issue in the black suit saga. Next month is issue 258 which I’m still holding out for a foil…

IMG_2287

Msh Secret Wars #7 (Facsimile Edition - Foil Variant)
Speaking of foil faxes….next month is the big one!

IMG_2286

Crisis on Infinite Earths #3 (of 12) (Facsimile Edition - Foil Variant)

And for those collecting Crisis foils.

New Ones

IMG_2291

Venomverse Reborn #1
Venomverse is reborn, with stories of symbiotes from all across the Multiverse! First, Benjamin Percy and Brian Level spin a tale of the murder of the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes by one of their own…but who? Then Christos Gage drags Venom from Insomniac Games’ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 across the Venomverse to take on Knull!
Not exactly sure if there will be new characters, but could be a good read.

IMG_2295

Anansi Boys #1
“Fat” Charlie Nancy leads a boring life as a boring Londoner, until he discovers two things: That his recently deceased father was, in fact, Anansi the Spider, the trickster god of African folklore, and that he has a twin brother he’s never met. Which kicks off a reality-spanning odyssey of sibling rivalry, jealous deities, and one poor soul who’ll realize what it means to be a god.
Adaptation of Gaiman’s Locus and British Fantasy Award-winning novel as a comic book series for the first time-and soon to be a television show on Amazon Prime!

Dirty D’s Pick of the Week

IMG_2289

Batman Gotham by Gaslight the Kryptonian Age #1 (of 12)
When a mysterious meteor falls on the wide-open plains of the Midwest, it will unleash a chain of events that find Gotham’s bizarre Batman contending with not just the twin threats of the Catwoman and a mysterious international assassin but also the emergence of superhuman beings beyond all comprehension!
Think Marvel’s 1602…but 19th century and DC. This limited series will expand upon the Universe from which Gotham by Gaslight was set in, introducing new versions of popular DC characters beyond the confines of Gotham City, and some new ones as well.

Long term spec at best, but Gotham by Gaslight is a classic. So I’m hoping for a great read if anything here. And that makes this the pick of the week.

There also a Jock foil variant of which a new villain or character may be on the cover (see below). Which is odd because the 1:25 is the same cover, just card stock.

IMG_2290

Batman Gotham by Gaslight the Kryptonian Age #1 (of 12) (Jock Foil Variant)

Parting Thoughts

Once again, getting this out a little late. One of these weeks I’ll get back into the groove! Have a great week, CHU.
2 Likes

Hello CHU Nation. Getting this out late (as usual). Been taking advantage of the great weather in the North East this Memorial Day weekend…only leaves so much time for FOC scouting!

DC’s on break this week, so things are a bit light. So this will be quick. Let’s dive in!

Cover of the Week

IMG_2330

Star Wars Ahsoka #1 (Concept Art Variant)

We’ll talk more Ahsoka below, but nothing really stood out to me cover wise this week. But I do like this concept art cover for issue #1. This one is for the Sabine Wren fans. Sabine doesn’t have too many covers as it is.

It’s also a 1:10 ratio, and I’m not big on highlighting these in FOC articles, but this book will be heavily ordered with much higher ratio incentives and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of store exclusives pop up as well. So should be easy to find at cover or slightly above. And that’s why this is the Dirty D Cover of the Week!

Reprints

IMG_2327

Monolith #1 (of 3) (2nd Printing)

Not much for reprints. There are others like blood hunt and maybe a facsimile or two…but nothing exciting. But I did highlight this Monolith Mcfarlane cover as a first print, which was a B&W. I’m glad I held off because I like the color cover better.

New Number 1’s

IMG_2322

Destro #1 (of 5)

Destro is the latest GI Joe villain to get a limited series in the Energon Universe.

IMG_2323

Kid Venom #1

JAPAN, 977. KID VENOM has made his presence known to the evil symbiotes taking people and creatures hostage…but who else has their eye on Kintaro and his symbiote? The world of KID VENOM expands as new characters and dangers are revealed!
Seems like this series has been talked about for a while. New characters, could be a spec book.

Independent Spotlights

IMG_2324

Self Help #1
Down-on-his-luck rideshare driver Jerry Hauser’s existence is a bleak one… But after a twist of fate, Jerry is given the chance of a lifetime… which, if he’s not careful, may well end his lifetime. So begins this California noir-a rollicking and gleefully lurid pulp crime story for our time.
New miniseries from Image.

IMG_2326

Misery #1 (of 4)
Cyan Fitzgerald is just a young woman trying to find her place in the world. As the daughter of Wanda Fitzgerald, the former wife of Al Simmons (aka Spawn), she has been endowed with incredible abilities-abilities that keep her cut off from those around her. Her journey into the darkness starts here.
Not a new character, but the latest in Spawn characters getting mini-series to expand the universe. There is a McFarlane cover that doesn’t appear to have been revealed…

Honorable Mentions

IMG_2325

Smurfs Olympic Special
Hefty Smurf loves to play sports, but he can’t get the other Smurfs to play with him. His solution? Create the “Smurf Olympics”! The Smurfs divide themslves into two teams, all competing for the grand prize: a kiss from Smurfette. But when one Smurf is turned down by both teams, he decides to compete on his own, throwing the games into chaos! Can one Smurf take on the whole village? And can the Smurfs stop cheating and playing pranks on each other long enough for the games to actually take place? Find out in this special one-shot release of the classic story from 1979!
Sounds fun! Classic smurfs!

IMG_2328

Star Wars Insider #226 (Newsstand Edition)

Cool Lego cover for Star Wars Insider Mag. It’s the Newsstand as well so should be pretty east to find.

Pick of the Week

IMG_2329

Star Wars Ahsoka #1

The comic adaptation of the Disney+ series! Which means we’ll be getting the first appearance of Baylan Skoll and Shin Hati (also on the cover A). Huyang did appear in a flashback in Star Wars Age of the Republic #1, but this will be his first major roll…

Anyway, these characters look to play larger rolls in the future of Star Wars, so for that reason this is the Dirty D Pick of the Week!

Parting Thoughts

It’s late on Sunday night…so not much left in the tank here. Until next week!
2 Likes

FOC 6/2/25

Hey everyone! Had a burst of energy (and a rare window of free time) this Sunday morning, so was able to put my FOC list together a little earlier than usual recently. It helps there really haven’t been too many big books out there worth highlighting before orders close too. But I found some fun ones and exciting reads that will be hitting shelves in about a month. So let’s check them out!

Covers

IMG_2370

Deadpool #4 Movie Variant
Another movie variant for Deadpool. These are popular when signings of actors/actresses come around. Dirty D cover of the week!

IMG_2371

Harley Quinn #41 (Cover A - Sweeney Boo)
A nice homage to Batman 442, when Tim Drake officially became Robin! Outta her way, jerk-ass!

New Ones

IMG_2373

Spider-Man: Reign 2 #1
Kaare Andrews returns to the world of SPIDER-MAN’S dystopian future in this sequel to the landmark, SPIDER-MAN: REIGN story. This next installment will introduce a new BLACK CAT and introduce Miles Morales as well (who I believe is on the Variant and homage cover shown below).

Love the Spawn-ish Cover A look too (above) although I don’t think it’s a direct homage.

IMG_2374

Spider-Man: Reign 2 #1 Kaare Andrews Variant

IMG_2375

Zatanna Bring Down the House #1 (of 5) (Cover A - Javier Rodriguez)
A new limited series starring Zatanna. She has her fans, and there are a lot of covers for issue 1. I personally like the Rodriguez A solid red background (should be stunning in person) and there’s an Artgerm foil (below) if you collect such things.

IMG_2376

Zatanna Bring Down the House #1 (of 5) (Artgerm Foil Variant)

Cool Reads

IMG_2377

The Life of Wolverine #1
WOLVERINE has been mindwiped, manipulated and given false memories so many times, what is the truth of his long life? Now, as a journey into his own past becomes paramount to the survival of mutantkind, delve into the TRUE story of LOGAN’s life, from his earliest days in the late 1800s, to the many wars he’s fought alongside comrades like CAPTAIN AMERICA and SABRETOOTH, to the WEAPON X procedures that changed his life forever, his days on the X-MEN and more! All IN CONTINUITY, this includes some adventures and links to the past never before revealed, giving the most complete picture of WOLVERINE’s history EVER ASSEMBLED! In print for the first time!
A sort-of retelling of Wolverines life story to date. It’s not an oversized book so I’m not sure how they’re going to cram this all in to one issue…but could be an interesting read with some surprises thrown in.

Pick of the Week

IMG_2378

Star Wars: Inquisitors #1
The INQUISITORS are among the most skilled and deadly threats to those who served the light side of the Force. Buried in the annals of Jedi lore is the story of TENSU RUN, the Jedi who faced the Inquisitors and DARTH VADER! What became of him, and why did the EMPIRE so greatly fear his existence?
Mostly a read for Inquisitor fans. It does promise yet another Jedi that survives Order 66; Tensu Run will debut this issue. I do not believe he’s on any of the covers for issue 1, so perhaps grab a copy of cover A to stash away as there are some inquisitors that could be new (I don’t recognize the one on the lower left, anyway). For that reason this is the Dirty D Pick-Of-The-Week!

Parting Thoughts

Wow, got this done before noon on Sunday. It’s been a while since I’ve accomplished such a feat. Happy hunting this week!
1 Like

FOC 6/9/24

Welcome back CHU Nation for another FOC highlight reel! This FOC is a special one, as DC has finally come to its senses and realized cutting off books earlier than most others, and releasing them on Tuesday is just not cool.

So we’re back to all books having the same FOC!! That also means that when this article is released Sunday evening all books are still able to be ordered.

That being said, this is one of the better weeks. Not crazy speculation wise, but mostly cool covers, good reads and a few surprises for us fans!

Spoiler Alert

Scarlett #2 (of 5) (Cover B - Spoiler)

In order to find her missing friend Jinx, Scarlett goes undercover, deep into the belly of Clan Arashikage, to discover the truth. But the man known as might have other ideas…
Ah, good ol’ spoiler covers. They get me every time! This should be the next big gimmick. Drop the whole foil variant shtick (except for facsimiles!) and second prints nobody asked for…go with spoiler covers for new character appearances and reveals!

FYI, this isn’t the only variant cover of this book to feature a spoiler. The 10 Copy incentive has a blacked out head shot, and 1:25 also is a spoiler.

Ultimates #2 (Inhyuk Lee Ultimate Spoiler Variant)

Captain America reckons with the Maker’s dismantling of nations…by visiting the White House! Leading to a massive brawl between MIDAS and this young band of freedom fighters… …but Midas has been holding a superhuman hostage as a power source! PLUS: The dark history of what used to be the United States on Earth-6160…
We need more spoiler covers!

I’m guessing this spoiler will feature this superhuman hostage. Possible first appearance of a new character…but likely an ultimates version of a 616 character.

Reprints

Jim Hensons Dark Crystal Archive Ed #1

The classic 1983 single issue adaptation of The Dark Crystal from writer David Anthony Kraft (The Savage She-Hulk) and artists Bret Blevins & Vince Colletta is lovingly restored and represented as part of BOOM! Studios’ Archive Edition line!
Skeksis, Mystics, Gelflings, oh my! The Dark Crystal was one of those iconic movies from the early 80s, like Secret of NIHM, that parents were likely fooled into thinking it was for kids, but in reality had complex darker themes and enough violence or creepy characters to scare kids to the point that parents regretted it. “I thought this was another muppet movie!”

But if you were like me, they stood out from the mundane and hold a special place and memories. I was so disappointed when they did not renew the Netflix TV series, Age of Resistance, for a second season as I thought it was phenomenal.

I believe this series reprints Marvel Movie Special 24 across the 3 issues. Personally I like the B cover as the A cover is just the original cover art to the Marvel Mini issue #1.

Jim Hensons Dark Crystal Archive Ed #1 (of 3) (Cover B)

Wolverine #88 (Facsimile Ed Foil Variant)

Facsimile of the first Deadpool/Wolverine battle…foil-Iized!

New Ones

Absolute Power #1 (of 4)

DC’s epic summer event kicks off with a bang, as the combined might of FAILSAFE and the BRAINIAC QUEEN has at last given Amanda Waller the ability to steal the metahuman abilities of every hero and villain on planet Earth.
Not my thing, these event books, but a lot have enjoyed the brainiac and failsafe runs in Batman and Superman.

Also, there’s an “unlock variant (see pic below), cover J…not sure what it takes to qualify, but its a pretty sweet cover. One to look out for.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2024 #1

“Reboot” of the TMNT after the last series ended at 150. Not expecting new characters of significance, but it does promise a new start.

Thundercats Cheetara #1 (Cover A - Sozomaika)

Dynamite’s first spin off series for Thundercats stars with Cheetara!

Indy Spotlight

Free Agents #1

Introducing a treat of young veterans, survivors of a massive intergalactic war. They’ve fought every day of their existence and won a terrible victory. Now they’re stranded on Earth, free agents for the first time. But when relics from their long war appear, threatening their chance at better lives, their greatest battle begins. They’ve fought for a million planets. Can they fight to save their own souls?
New series by image. Cover A is a wrap around.

Pick of the Week

Spider-Boy #9

Bailey Briggs, the one and only Spider-Boy, is trapped in the Web of Life and Destiny! Tumbling through the Multiverse! Featuring at least one Spider you’ve seen before but NEVER on these mighty Marvel pages.
I could pick this book up for the cover alone. It’s a fun cover featuring classic Spider-Verse characters. But what puts this book at the top this week is the promise of a first appearance of a spider character we have not yet seen in a comic book, but we are familiar with. Some pop into my head that might have been on covers but I don’t think stories…but I can’t be 100% sure.

I believe all the characters on the cover have “appeared” in at least a cameo prior, but feel free to point out if I’m mistaken.

In fact, let’s have some fun with this….If you have any guesses who it might be, feel free to provide your speculation in the comment section in the CHU forums! First to guess the right answer will get a mighty CHU No-Prize, just like Marvel used to award in the old days!

Drek of the Week

Doom #1 (2nd Printing)

Cover A of this book and a few of the variants have been hot on the secondary market. So Marvel decided to reprint this. There is also a 1:25.

If there’s any long term value, it’s with the first print. And the 1:25 incentive is just going to make this book overprinted relative to the actual demand. Not to mention the cover leaves much to be desired. Avoid!

Parting Thoughts

Schools are wrapping up classes for the year… Convention season is upon us. It’s officially Summer! Have a great week!
1 Like

I sold all my first printing copies of DOOM so I’m happy to at least be able to get a cheap second print to hold onto :wink:

Dirty D F.O.C. (6/17/24)

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there. Any of you get anything comics related for a Dad’s Day gift? If so, feel free to share it on the CHU Forums!

Lot of interesting books this week. So without further ado…

Covers

IMG_2479

Incredible Hulk #14 (Dell Otto Variant)
Very nice cover by Dell’Otto. Dirty D Cover-Of-The-Week!

IMG_2480

Absolute Power Task Force VII #1 (Foil Variant)
In this biweekly series we’ll see the ABSOLUTE POWER event through the eyes of evil–as told from the point of view of the TRINITY OF EVIL!
Dan Mora looks to have a foil variant for each issue (x7) of this limited series, each one featuring a character, issue #1 starting with “Last Son”…

Number Ones

IMG_2482

X-Force #1
Forge leads a custom-made, handpicked team of mutants - RACHEL SUMMERS, BETSY BRADDOCK, SAGE, SURGE and introducing TANK - in off-the-books missions so dire, so integral to the fate of the Marvel Universe, there’s no time to stop for permission!
A “Tank” previously appeared (and apparently died) in Ironheart #6 back in 2019…So not sure if this a a new character or redesign of the prior character.

IMG_2483

Namor #1
War rages beneath the waves. Seven kings, old and new, fight to rule the watery realm. But where is Namor? He’s sitting behind bars on the surface, with no intention of ever setting foot in the seas again. So begins an Atlantean event that will forever reshape the landscape of the undersea world while at last laying bare the dark history of Atlantis and its fiercest, most infamous defender.
Interesting synopsis. We’ll have to see if the writing holds up.

Reprints

IMG_2484

Amazing Spider-Man #258 Facsimile Ed
Should have been a foil variant for this key book. It appears as though the fax will continue past 258.

IMG_2488

Tales of the Teen Titans #44 (Facsimile Edition - Foil Variant)
First Nightwing, First Jericho and Deathstroke origin. I’ve never read this book, so I’m grabbing the foil for fun!

IMG_2487

Image Firsts - Saga #1

I’m not sure if places will offer this for pre-order, but if you’re interested in checking out how Saga started, its getting the Image $1 Reprint treatment.

IMG_2485

Duke #3 (of 5) (3rd Printing)
A very cool 3rd print variant from the Duke mini.

IMG_2486

Cobra Commander #1 (of 5) (4th Printing) 1
A very creepy 4th printing of Cobra Commander #1.

Indy Spotlight

IMG_2489

Graveyard Club #1 (of 2) (Cover F - Foc Reveal) 1
A coming-of-age horror series, a Breakfast Club in a graveyard filled with frights both nostalgic and new, for fans of Locke & Key and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina!
Sounds like fun. And it’s only a 2 issue mini. Highlighting the FOC cover.

Pick of the Week

IMG_2490

From the DC Vault Death in the Family Robin Lives #1
In 1988, DC fans made a seminal choice in the history of DC publishing–voting to kill off Jason Todd’s Robin in the Death in the Family storyline. Now, for the first time, we want to find out what would have happened if fans had voted to let him live. And it begins–with the murder of The Joker!
You had to know this was coming when the Faux-simile of Batman 428 came out several months ago. I was just getting serious about collecting comics when Death in the Family story went to print, so this is very nostalgic for me. We’re probably going to learn Jason was always destined for the anti-villain Red Hood or similar role. Either way I’m looking forward to this What If? story. So this is a more of a read pick than spec pick.

Parting thoughts.

That’s it for this week. Enjoy!
4 Likes

Forgot to mention this book. 3D reprint of NM98. Not a lot of shops selling it. Might be hard to find upon release.

4 Likes

Thank you always for the time and effort you put in to doing this for everyone to read. I appreciate it!

5 Likes

I want to check out that Graveyard Club but I’m really trying to be better about ordering new stuff and I hate that $9.99 price tag.

I really hope Namor is good. That A cover for the series is really, really nice as well. Aaron is a good writer and I’ve always found the whole “under the sea” aspects of both Namor and Aquaman very cool/tons of potential if done right. Fingers crossed.

Another thought…I really think a few of these Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe could be long term winners. I always tend to think of that Deadpool Elsa on the Beach cover that was open order and goes for like $80 bucks now. People love Deadpool and these funny covers are actually done pretty well. I know that when I’m selling comics at shows, more often than not, it is Deadpool comics that I end up selling to fans just because they love the character/the cover and don’t even collect comics like many of us do.

1 Like

That seems hefty, even if it is only two chunky issues. That’s like a small trade paperback in price.

Dirty D’s FOC 6/23/24

Hello my fellow CHU friends and family! It’s been a scorcher of a week (weather, not comics), so I hope everyone is finding ways to beat the heat! I can’t say the same for comic speculation for this weeks FOC, but as always we can still break down some sweet covers, good reads and just overall fun books that may be worth picking up in about 30 days time.

Covers

Captain America #11 (Weapon X-traction Variant)

We start things off with a nice cover swipe/homage of Hulk 340. I’m sure this will be a popular cover his month. Dirty D Cover-of-the-Week!!

Superman #16 (Villalobos Variant)

Zatanna makes a guest appearance in this issue, so there are multiple covers with her featured. I find that this Lobos cover stands out above them all.

Number Ones

Venom War #1

Eddie Brock and his son Dylan are going head-to-head, determined to be the one, true Venom! Father versus son in a showdown of showdowns that threatens to tear the world asunder!

I believe this is a 5 book limited series that also splinters off into other “Venom War” minis. Take your pick of covers on this. There are quite a few.

Nyx #1

This is a book about mutants living past the end of their world and into a new beginning. This is MS. MARVEL embracing her mutant life in the neon streets of the Lower East Side. This is ANOLE trying to keep his head above water. This is WOLVERINE in the shadows of Bushwick, protecting her own. This is PRODIGY writing history as it happens - and SOPHIE CUCKOO finding her own way.

A new ongoing series set in Mutant Town, District X, NYC.

Also multiple covers. Take your pick.

Dark Knights of Steel Allwinter #1 (of 6)

The legendary assassin Deathstroke stalks a frozen wasteland, killing for coin among a nation of ever-warring jarls. But when our murderer for hire finds himself cast in the role of reluctant guardian, will he fight to end the icy curse destroying his land or be consumed by the sins of his own dark past?

The Dark Knights of Steel epic expands into new territories featuring Deathstroke.

Reprints

Crisis on Infinite Earths #4 (Facsimile - Foil Variant)

For those collecting the Foil versions of this series facsimile’d.

Secret Wars #8 (Facsimile - Foil Variant)

It took 8 months to get here…FINALLY Secret Wars 8 foil fax edition. Should look spectacular with that red cover!

Scarlett #1 (of 5) (2nd Printing Cover A)

For those like myself who prefer the Jason Howard white background character Spotlight 2nd print covers for Energon Universe books, Scarlett #1 follows suit. Cover A features Scarlett and Cover B (my favorite) features Stormshadow.

Cover C is also a nice Howard cover featuring the two above, plus Snowjob (one of the best Joe names…) and the ninja Jinx who were both re-introduced in this issue.

Scarlett #1 (of 5) (2nd Printing Cover B)

Scarlett #1 (of 5) (2nd Printing Cover C)

Pick of the Week

Dusk #1

Blackstone. A city whose history dates back to the earliest days of our nation. Below its abandoned skyscrapers and crumbling colonial architecture, beneath the buzzing lights and ragged billboards, the metropolis is propped up by corruption and fear. Blackstone public defender Jaime Nuñez - former baseball hero, now a divorced dad - is always trying to do his best. When Jaime comes into an unexpected fortune and some surprising, super heroic tools, he discovers there might be another, more direct way to do some actual good in the world. But can the masked man known only as The Dusk push back against decades of entrenched corruption without compromising his commitment to social justice?

No books really stood out to me having much potential short or long term…so I fully admit this a bit of a long shot. That being said, The Dusk is an interesting book. Sort of borrows from Batman origin, and it’s by Scout whose track record isn’t great for speculation, but they don’t have much history with super hero stories. Also, like other previous scout titles they are just publishing issue #1, then going straight to TPB for the series. Which means shops may not be interested in ordering many copies if it’s not going to draw in customers monthly…this could fly under the radar for a while.

But it is a super hero book, and that means TV Series/Movie potential. Might be worth grabbing a copy. You never know, might even be a good read.

The variant cover features an additional female character (side kick?), so worth a look as well.

Dusk #1 (Cover B)

Honorable Mention

Star Wars Darth Vader #48

LUKE…JOINS THE DARK SIDE?!
It is said there can be only two SITH, the EMPEROR AND DARTH VADER. But could it someday be PALPATINE and LUKE SKYWALKER? Or Vader and his son?

I was thinking the other day, if you look at all the Jedi is there one that hasn’t been either tempted by the dark side or “lost their way” to some degree…whether it be supporting children be “taken” from their families, or allowing themselves to essentially become soldiers to war? Luke may be the only one that’s never been “corrupted” by other Jedi…He’s never been a Padawan to a “master” and only spent limited time being trained and influenced by other Jedi…basically he essentially has been free to figure out his own path for the most part.

Then this books solicitation comes out eluding he may be joining the dark side, so as Force Ghost Ben once said…”l was wrong…”.

Either way, we know Luke’s temptation will be fleeting at best…could be a fun read, so I’ll throw this book into the mix for those who may be curious what a Dark Side Luke May look like.

And on that note, have a great week everyone…stay cool!

2 Likes

the girl on Dusk is Impossible Jones – she’s had a Scout series, a couple one-shots, and Kickstarter already.

1 Like

Good to know. So…does scout have some type of super hero universe going on in its books. I’ve only know scout (US comics) to be stand alone story arcs.

I think this is part of their Binge books, the produce one standalone and the rest are part of a TPB. I am personally not a fan of these because I have bought them before to find out that I have to buy the tab to get the rest of the story, including the issue I already bought. All books are creator owned and not part of a greater universe.

I will forever argue that every image book is somehow in one shared universe. Even if it seems logistically impossible they all somehow are in the same universe!