Doctor Aphra just appeared in The Mandalorian (Spec)

They paused on that character in the show for a second or two too long. I immediately thought, “oh, that’s gonna be somebody.” Didn’t think Aphra, but it makes a bunch of sense now.

Any thoughts on the idea that Darth Vader 2 might also warm up, as it apparently has a preview of Aphra in it? I don’t have the issue, so if that’s bogus, please throw tomatoes at me.

@loverjw… I just checked my Vader #2 (vol.1). There is a last page ad that promotes issue #3 in the series, which has the cover to issue #3 in it. Aphra, and the death droids, are on that cover to issue #3. There is a small subsect of collectors who like true first ad appearances. Im not one of them, and I wouldn’t invest in most of them, including Vader #2 (vol.1).

Two things see, to drive value in first appearance previews and advertisements.

The first is that a book or character becomes so popular that the first appearance goes for crazy money, like hits $1000 in 9.8 it seems. Think UF4.

The second is that the character 1st appearance was so heavily promoted and printed the first story appearance is worthless even though the character is popular. Think Spawn #1.

Don’t see either of these at play here. But it’s a. Interesting tidbit and maybe worth a flyer.

1 Like

I could see Disney trying to make Aphra popular. Would I bet substantial amounts of money on it? No, but I do think her first appearance will at least retain if not grow in value pretty safely.

Here you go…copies. I can’t speak for any of these shops. Although Poyo hates Austin Comics.

Austin Comics

ComicBookRelief

Comic Book Surplus

I think Disney will be/is all in with Chelli Aphra. She is a great character, and she is already popular. She is one of the few, if not the only, SW character to have a strong fanbase that was derived solely from the pages of the comic books.
And if Disney is still into the SWJ representation, then Aphra checks a few of those boxes, jus’ sayin’. And she’s an awesome character (Did I already say that?). :beers:

Can’t see her being cast as a non-Asian actress. It has been indicated all along, including by the writer that she is likely of Asian descent.
I love all the Aphra stuff, have em all, but I def wouldn’t be overpaying for more copies of that #35.
Just packaged up 3 perfect copies of Vader #3 for the presser/grading.

2 Likes

Hope you don’t mind, not trying to hijack, but since we’re all Sw fans & Ahsoka/Dave Filoni was brought up.
Met him out in Anaheim & he signed and quickly sketched this for me. I’ve always been a huge Filoni fan boy lol. One of my favorite pieces.

4 Likes

Dont give Austin Books your money… They’re the worst.

katy obrien2 zahra

Anyone reading the current SW run? Where does this Commander Zahra fit chronologically with Mando??

I think Aphra is coming but in Leslye Headland’s project a ways away. It will be a smash!! (Female) Indiana Jones style in space with droids

2 Likes

Zahra is pretty much right in the smack of the original trilogy events timeline-wise. So a slightly older Zahra would fit within Mando.

I will say, I get really bummed when random spec starts up again before I can complete finding good copies of everything I’m trying to get! I only needed the 3rd print to complete the set and was waiting for a good looking one at a good price to pop up!

2 Likes

Does Aphra exist post Vader? I’m not much of a reader but I don’t think she does.

You think she died before Vader dies?

Her story is still being written… so I’d say she survives post Vader…

1 Like

Aphra is definitely coming, but I don’t think it’s her in Mando.

3 Likes

How about that #6 1:25 cover? My goodness. How can that thing be selling for more than her first appearance …aside from FOMO?

2 Likes

Shilled bidding and people in spec groups pumping it

2 Likes