eBay Headaches

I actually didn’t have painters tape handy the other day and used scotch tape. All I could think about is “I hope this person doesn’t damage the book removing this…or get upset If the bag gets stretched or damaged…”

I am one of those who loath having to use x-acto knifes to “free” books from their captivity w/in the mailer…but 99% of seller do it or nothing at all…so I still would not hold, it against someone…I just find it annoying to deal with and wish others were as good as Poyo about it.

(Did you see that? I complimented Poyo on his shipping methods…someone might want to take a screen shot Of this)

1 Like

Everyone should fold over the ends of whatever tape they’re using and almost none of my packages come that way.

2 Likes

Got the remaining two slabs delivered from Hotshot comics today. Packaged well and slabs not damaged.

It’s a Marvel book and you know what that means - lousy paper quality/spines - it’s interesting to get these in hand and see what made the cut for a 9.8. Definitely would not have expected these two books to be 9.8s but whatever - this means I have more raw 9.8 candidates in my possession than I thought I had… or that CGC is extra generous when it comes to authorized dealers, lol.

Books were finally delivered 86 business days after the release date (9/30/2020).

2 Likes

Same here. I have a 9.6 of an older book that looks as good or better than a couple 9.8s I have that are brand new books. I don’t know if CGC has a serious sliding scale, or are just that inconsistent.

agggggh Wish I would have found this POST before I b*tched on the For Sale thread! lol

Here it is in case anyone wants to read it…

or I’ll save you the effort of clicking…
Who else out there is trying to cut the cord from eBay?
ok so I’m gonna B----h tonight. I’m not dying just tired of getting clipped by ebay. Sold 2 Tukis #4 at $40 each tonight via a Skottie Group Facebook group, glad I didn’t post on ebay…Considering I paid $4 for each from the LCS I figure that’s a win.

I got a grip of Skottie Young books (like 2 long boxes), most which I want to sell via lots because I’m thinning a majority of my books. I need to learn the shipping part of the selling game. I normally go USPS Priority Mail Medium Size Flat Rate (2 day shipping with Tracking + a signature confirmation) so I don’t get headaches later on… Not sure if selling via instagram or Facebook will be much luck but hey, can’t complain when getting rid of stuff right? Need to find how to get those Gemini t-mailers in bulk, need more tape… blah blah. im bitching tonight… never really do…

Thought about having a YArd Sale and letting 5 of my friends each buy a table for $10 and price their own books, or give them sticker dots and just have a massive dollar bin sale… eh… depending on the color of the sticker that’s who gets the profit, unless, we do $2 books in the mix… and yeah… possibilities endless… need to get rid of clutter.

I’m sure some of you have some of the same problems… So let’s help each other out, and give each other some ideas maybe on selling possibilities… who knows where this thread can go

1 Like

The managed payments is a failure in my opinion. I am tired of waiting forever to get paid. Love that they take the fees up front— I love that part. But it can take days for the money to show available after they pay, let alone having it actually hit my account. Once they pay, I’m supposed to be ok with shipping, but I don’t until I see it’s in ‘available’ status. One day, I was counting on the payment to be able to ship something and they had an issue with my payment being sent. It was resolved but it made my shipments late and may cost me my ‘Top Rated’ seller status. Nothing processes on weekends either. If someone pays on Thursday, it will not be available til Sunday at earliest. They need to give me an option to take money from my ‘Available’ money and use PayPal to transfer it- just in case I want it immediately. At that point in the transaction, it is costing me money to transfer, it shouldn’t be costing eBay anything.

1 Like

Yeah, the slowness of the payouts is super annoying.

A new wrinkle I’ve discovered that is very small in the grand scheme but I can’t help but wonder… why is that for their new trading card mail option, the eBay standard envelope (it’s awesome in the abstract, a PWE with tracking for basically a stamp cost) only bills shipping after delivery (or on some set time from label print, who knows) and so rather than take it out of my PayPal account it takes it from the pending amount they need to transfer. This is all fine except that there’s a huge lag and I haven’t yet discovered what happens if they try and take $0.51 from me and they’ve transferred all the money already. Just let me buy it with PayPal, sheesh.

Tis why I have not bothered and just stopped using eBay after January when they finally did force me to switch, which I didn’t. Even if I stuck around, I’d probably wait months cause eBay is always going to be a headache and them rolling out something entirely new was going to be a disaster in their own making.

1 Like

What I find annoying with eBay is that I’ll lower the prices on books, which I did yesterday & now less than 24 hours later ebays recommending I lower the price more. I guess it’s automatic and happens after so many days. Can it not see that I just lowered the goddamn price?!

2 Likes

I have a book listed at $2 and they recommend I lower the price. I guess they want me to make $0 after all their fees on the book.

2 Likes

Just to confirm, once funds processed you can pay for shipping with available funds, but you can’t use it to actually buy/pay for something you got…you have to send it to PayPal or some other account first…

Is this right?

1 Like

Yes. You have to wait until it actually clears into your bank account. That is where I have the money being transferred. I don’t know if you can us Paypal as an option.

They take out any fees and sent it to whatever account you picked for your managed payments.

Yeah, I have it being sent to my secondary checking account once a week because they kept sending it before I could pay for shipping…and had to use PayPal which draws from my credit card because it takes 10 days to get to my PayPal (transfer from my checking)…such a mess.

1 Like

I opened another checking account for eBay and my comic buying/selling. I linked the debit card for that account to PayPal. Sales go into checking account after couple of days. Shipping comes out of same account, just through PayPal. Once it gets rolling, it’s no problem. Working just fine for me! Hardest part was opening new checking account, which was easy, and done online.

Somewhat eBay related. The dingle berries at Key Collector recently added Captain America #1 Photo Variant Newsstand. I can understand adding a newsstand because they’re definitely hard to find. However their other reason to get it is because it’s a photo variant and Chris Evans is doing a CGC signing.

The sheep on eBay of course ran with it and it’s went from $10-20 up to $40-$335. I’m a big modern newsstand collector so I can see people paying a premium. However they’re buying up Direct Editions not the newsstands. A newsstand is up for auction currently but all that have sold have been directs.

2 Likes

Once that app puts anything out… and I do mean anything… it’s all over of us. Done/fini/end. Unless one wants to still pay 5x the amount you were willing to pay. I’ve watched books in auction, seen a push from those guys, and then immediately just stopped watching the auction. Not worth it.

4 Likes

Makes sense right, $300 for a book and then like $300 to get chris evans to sign it, great investment

2 Likes

… yep
And saddest of all, someone with money to burn will purchase that already overvalued comic for $1500.
Many folks aren’t using their heads these days; and there are many others that realize it

2 Likes