First comic you ever bought!

I love the fact that it is a CPV too, @rob92807. I will not sell this book due to its significance to me. I love GI Joe, particularly Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes (I wonder if this book had any influence on my liking of the GI Joe ninjas, :thinking:). And I am a very proud Canadian, so, the book being a CPV adds significant personal fondness. I’ve currently got a high grade 1st print direct at CGC. It should be home in two/three weeks.

3 Likes

Okay, first comic I bought with my own money… not my parents money or them buying me books when we were at Eckerds or any other store that sold comics. I remember it fondly as it was the start of my very long Punisher addiction…

I also didn’t have to buy a lot of books prior to this cause I’d just read my older step brothers books he had and would buy.

4 Likes

What a great cover on that Punisher book, Poyo.

1 Like

Issue #11 was pretty awesome too…

1 Like

Yeah…that’s pretty badass too. It almost looks like a Jokerized Punisher, lol. My buddy, @rigger_one, is a big Punisher fan also.

2 Likes

What’s weird is I liked War Journal better than the regular series at the time. I went on to almost collect the full first volume to issue #80, think I ended around 12-15 issues shy as around 1994 I started to discover girls and comics weren’t on my list of top priorities anymore. I’m actually kind of glad I left the hobby in the 90s… I don’t think I missed too much after 1994 or so…

These are dirt cheap still, I should add them to my list of books to find in high grades. Would love to put together a Punisher War Journal high grade set…

2 Likes

The first I owned, I think, was Mickey Mouse 251, the Bellhop Detective. Still remember the cover. And a Donald Duck with him fishing with Goody on the cover.

First superhero comic was the Web of Spider-Man with Facade, either 113-115. Good times, when comics were simpler. I also remember a Batman Adventures with the Scarecrow, and by the time the clone saga and animated series got underway I was buying all the Spider-titles lol. And didn’t stop until One More Day.

4 Likes

That’s not weird at all POYO, I’m an OG PUNISHER fan it’s true! (thx @jcLu). I also found WJ superior than the main PUNISHER run as well. I collected and read both. I have a high grade WJ run to #50. Not so much main run, maybe to #35 or so plus spec $1 books for both runs…

Most IMPORTANTLY, let’s not forget one of the best fights in comics ever!! PUNISHER :vs: WOLVERINE in PUNISHER WJ #6,7 which is a beautiful early Jim Lee cover and highly undervalued book IMO. Anytime I see them for $1 I take them both. I have a short box full of them at least… One day people will catch on… Don’t get me started on favourite fight books either because we’ll be up all night in another seperate header… I think you should finish the run it’s cheap as you say. For now… Be well everyone. :skull:

3 Likes

20200211_213448

4 Likes

Ah… the memories… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Totally agree with you mate. This is what the Punisher would look like if the Joker and Bloodshot had a baby…

#TheyDontMakeThemLikeTheyUseTo :slight_smile:

I really dig most of the Punisher and Wolverine covers… this one is one of my fav…

1 Like

Don’t forget #8 to complete the “set,” it’s a classic, classic Punisher cover.

2 Likes

The first book I can recall buying with my own cash would’ve been Avengers Annual #16. Starring Everyone you can think of and Hawkeye saves the day by cheating in a bet with the Grandmaster. I actually just picked up a graded copy cheap but really enjoyed the story as there are some brutal deaths and good matches, so I’m getting a regular copy as well.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the first comic I can remember owning was Sergio Aragone`s Groo #17. I was a fan of Mad Magazine before I had an interest in comics and I distinctly remember the artwork on this cover catching my eye because I recognized the style from Mad. The fish biting his toes and nips also made an impression on me.

The first super hero comic I remember is Detective 604 The Mud Pack arc. I don’t know what it was about the cover that grabbed me but I ended up getting 3 of the 4 issues in the arc from the grocery store. I don’t think I ever ended up getting the last issue. I do know that my interest in Batman comics was 100% due to my obsession with reruns of the 60`s tv show that I watched religiously on Nick at Nite.

2 Likes

Sounds like a cool storyline. I absolutely dig stories that include tons of characters. Also really cool to hear you picked up a graded copy of your first comic… and for cheap too.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Yes, i agree with you that Detective 604 cover is cool looking!

Nice, I remember picking up that Detective Comics as well from my local Eckerds, where I got most of the comics off the spinner rack.

1 Like

@rigger_one @agentpoyo I saw this last week and thought i’d share it with some lovers of cool Punisher covers.

Due for release late march - Punisher: Soviet #6 (Okazaki Variant)

Punisher looks total badass with the knife in his mouth…

https://dyn.media.forbiddenplanet.com/YOi9rviqJ2ywpvnSnZ31mEsQCxY=/trim/fit-in/600x600/filters:format(webp)/https://media.forbiddenplanet.com/products/ff/c2/edfc8e7c74a317f47a187fd59943914dd54d.jpg

3 Likes