House Of Slaughter #1

Only 25? Geez… why stop at 25… might as well just let all stores who want to do an exclusive do one…

8 Likes

I think this is a title that the amount of exclusives just doesn’t matter. Maybe a couple of them will hit due to low print run. This is going to be so heavily ordered, we’ll see these on walls for cover price for years.

How many 1st appearances of secondary characters in these indie books ever matter? Walking Dead #19… and that’s about it.

Something is Killing the Children #1 is the book that will matter. Those super low print run books from 1-5 will matter. I don’t think HoS will matter at all when the show finally goes somewhere. I spec on damn near everything and I’m not even bothering with this one.

2 Likes

Print runs don’t necessarily matter if the demand exceeds supply and availability. In terms of HOS, the issue I see here is this is a spin-off of SIKTC so that alone is a ding against the spec-ability of it. Spin-offs judging by past history don’t seem to carry the “hotness” of the original story they were spun off from. So yes, high print run will make it so much easier to get and obtain for quite some time as well before the potential “demand” exceeds the supply!

2 Likes

Sounds like the minimum print run for HOS exclusives has jumped up to 1,000, too. Stores know this is going to be a sh*tshow, so some have already started selling the books even though they can’t show the covers for a while yet.

Can’t remember the last time (if ever) store exclusives went on presale without a cover and sold out (at least in the US). I’m a fan of Tao’s work and was going to wait to see the cover first but maybe I can’t. Big time FOMO.

The issue is also speculation. Because we know damn well a lot of people are gonna order 5 10 or 20 copies lol

Shtshow? How?

I feel much better about the spec value now.

25+ store exclusive covers is a sh*tshow. The only reason one went on sale yesterday was to get ahead of the wave of chaos that will happen when Boom allows them to reveal covers. They know it’ll be hard to sell out with bigger print runs and so many covers. I helped one of the stores with their marketing for SIKTC 16 and it was crazy.

IMO, Boom would be far better off to have store exclusives allowed for each issue, but limit it to 2-4. This whole “let’s do a billion for the first issue, then none after that unless Tynion oks it” is a bad marketing plan.

We Live this winter will be the next indy exclusive crazy issue after HOS.

1 Like

House of Sh!t. I called it!

1 Like

I hope We Live doesn’t have too many exclusives…I know one shop that’s doing one already :wink:

1 Like

I couldn’t imagine how was that experience for you but on the consumer side, ill always just stick to the publisher’s variants. I’m still curious about the art itself for these 25+ covers.

25 stores or 25 covers
big difference when stores do 3 covers sometimes

25 stores

1 Like

I am just picking up a few copies of the regular covers. I think that this isn’t going to like SIKTC. Plenty of store exclusives and not under the radar. It will be good if some of these characters appear in SIKTC and that series remains popular. I will have to re read SIKTC again. I started losing interest after issue 6.

It’s funny that people will pay $30-$50 for an exclusive when they can pay that right now for issue 1

Yeesh. The art on SIKTC is really pretty subpar. I like the story, but it’s fairly slow. I read King Spawn 1 last night, and damn, that interior art is really good. Guessing HOS art will be the same as SIKTC.

1 Like

The art fits the kind of story they were telling.

Oh my that’s way too much for an exclusive! If the art is good, I don’t mind paying $30 for a set, Virgin and trade dress.