I Like What You Got! (LCS Finds)

I just picked up issues 1-10 of, “Something is Killing the Children,” for $2 each at a used bookstore chain. Issues 1-7 are about 8.0 Very Fine with some tics and such. Issues 9 and 10 are much more beat up, but less important issues so that is okay. I mean, at $2 each I’m going to take what I get and be pleased.

I also was able to get at a cost of $2 issues 2-8 and 10-15 of, “Immortal Hulk,” and paid $2.50 for the first issue.

In addition, I got, “Department of Truth,” issues 1-5 for $2 each. I could’ve left 2-5 behind, but figured a set would be nice.

Lastly, got the first issue of, 'Chariot," and, “Old Haunts,” for $2.

Oh, actually the one other thing was a, “Snow White,” one-shot from the 2017 Joe Books publisher that I paid $2.50 for. Got that to give to a friend who loves Disney as a present.

I check this store quite often as it is near my son’s school. 9/10 times there isn’t anything, but today those comics among other less interesting ones came in so I checked it all out and hit paydirt!

Additional Note: Oh, and I had a coupon so I paid about $60 total and some change. Again, this was a good day!

13 Likes

WOW. Nice score!

But they tied the two together.

Eventually, yes. But they didn’t have to. It’s still not the same origin,

The Venom movie wasn’t all too dissimilar to the Animated Series as to how the Venom symbiotes got to Earth.

Im certain that film rights are not based on what title any given character makes his 1st appearance in.

Wolverine is not part of the Hulk rights, despite making his debut in The Incredible Hulk. Nor is Sabertooth an Iron fist character, despite his 1st appearance in Iron Fist. These are just two examples, but, there are many more.

2 Likes

Kingpin first showed up in Spider-Man but sony doesnt own his rights

1 Like

Probably all depends how the contracts were written. Wolverine in Hulk (same with Iron Fist) occurred before any contracts for X-Men and Wolverine were signed over to FOX.

I can only imagine the contract with Sony might have a clause stating any new characters that appear in Spider-Man comics they have exclusive rights for films, so it very well could be a case they say Knull originated in Thor, voiding the rights to said character for Sony. I guess we’ll have to wait and see if we ever see Knull in a Sony movie or MCU movie.

1 Like

section 1, subsection a, bullet 5 of the Executive Summary, Sony has the rights to the “origin story, secret identities, alter egos, powers, costumes, equipment, and other elements of, or associated with, Spider-Man and the [items listed in Schedule 6]”

I don’t see any Knull listed in that “Schedule 6”… :wink:

Also, I’m no lawyer but signing the rights away to a character not yet invented seems like a stretch.

2 Likes

It absolutely depends on the wording of the contract. To that point, I don’t think a character who was created after a contract was finalized, wouldn’t be included in said contract. :beers:

(Edit:. I didn’t read Todd’s comment before I posted mine. Sorry for any redundancy)

1 Like

We’re getting way off topic. This could be its own thread about character rights, but we are way off from LCS finds.

1 Like

Here’s the actual clause.

Covered above includes:

• All existing (as of 9/15/11) characters and other Creative Elements that are “Primarily Associated With” Spider-Man but were “Inadvertently Omitted” from Schedule 6. The Agreement contains detailed definitions of these terms, but they basically conform to common-sense meanings. If SPE and Marvel cannot agree as to whether a character or other creative element is Primarily Associated With Spider-Man and/or were Inadvertently Omitted, the matter will be determined by expedited arbitration.

• All newly created (after 9/15/11) characters and other Creative Elements that first appear in a work that is titled or branded with “Spider-Man” or in which “Spider-Man” is the main protagonist…

Knull is not going to be on the Schedule 6, nor could be inadvertently left off as even GOT 6 was after the 9/15/11 date. So the it comes down to what is his first appearance. Which I think technically is GOT6. So Disney I think has the upper hand. It still could find its way to arbitration, but doesn’t seem like SPE would win, despite the argument his first was retroactive.

However…his origin has to do with symbiots and Klyntar. Both are clearly 1st appearances in Spider-Man books, so it’s not Knull that’s the problem. It’s that Disney doesn’t have rights to characters pertaining to his origin.

I would think if Disney found a way to tell the story of Knull w/o spiders and symbiotes, they would not owe SPE anything. Just seems unlikely they would go that path. It would no longer be the knull character the fans want.

Sorry…I was typing while you were preemptively smiting me.

You gonna get smoten! Heh, stole that joke from, “Moana.”

Hey, all I wanted to do was share my pick ups.

Also, something that recently dawned on me that made me laugh out loud: I’m a DC nerd that dabbles in Marvel. My Marvel PC consists of Captain America and Donny Cates. Donny Cates initials are DC and Captain America in a way can be considered an extension of Washington “D.C.”

Odd.

2 Likes

Okay I finished Cates GotG run and I enjoyed it. I liked the second arc a LOT more than the first arc. It felt a lit like the recent video game too which I enjoyed a bunch

1 Like

Finally went out back issue diving and got some really nice books. Haven’t done this is about a year or so.

4 Likes

Minor score today (with a couple of heavy hitters)

First up, I sold these for a steady $15 each so finding another made me happy

The shop had gotten in a complete collection of Witchblade, had issues 1-2 marked up at secondary market prices but these were all $3 each but then I got a $5 discount

Out the door for $19.98

8 Likes