I Like What You Got! (Online Scores)

That’s a nice cover on the annual. Nice score…

1 Like

Not so much a crazy score, but I just got the last issues I needed to finish my Batman New 52 run. I am really excited to have it. I think it’s the quintessential Batman run to read. Soo good!!

I’ve been getting into collecting the 1979 LA Times Syndicate Star Wars Newspaper comics. It’s a bit of an overlooked area in the Star Wars fandom and I wanted to strike while nobody was looking into it.

First up, Russ Cochran collected Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson’s run (they took over after Russ Manning passed away) in a signed and numbered hardcover edition with a slip case. It was limited to 2,500 and signed by Al Ailliamson and Archie Goodwin. It has introductions from George Lucas, Al Williamson, Archie Goodwin, and Russ Manning inside. There are also some great scrapbook doodles in the back! The whole thing is printed in black and white:

(Sorry about the image orientation. No matter how I flip the image in my phone, the forum flips it sideways when I upload it)

I have to say, the set is MUCH larger than I anticipated and really quality. The slipcase has a little damage which is how I got such a good price on this. Right now they’re going for somewhere around $400-500.

Next up, I have Russ Manning’s file copies of his Sunday Star Wars comics. These were file copies owned by Russ Manning. Anthonyscomicbookart.com sole them to me and we basically have to rely on their reputation and the history of how they came into possession of the file copies for authenticity. Regardless, it contains the “Kashyyyk Depths” storyline which is the first comics mention of Kashyyyk, Life Day, and the first comics appearance of Kashyyyk. Then the “Frozen World of Ota” which is the first original boba Fett comic story that was not a movie adaptation. It features Boba Fett flying a tie fighter and Luke and Boba snowboarding.

7 Likes

The key to collecting is collect what you love.

5 Likes

I’m buying you this t-shirt… :smiley:

hoarder

1 Like

IMG_3291 IMG_3292 IMG_3293

Stuff I grabbed online this week.

12 Likes

Good grabs with the batman. I personally think that screen cameo gonna mean a lot.

3 Likes

I did a gambling box deal…ended up spending quite a bit, but scored this comic and it was all worth it in the end.

12 Likes

Nothing crazy, but all very inexpensive via a combination of sources by mainly Amazon. I really like the Falcon design variant.

4 Likes

Ive still yet to buy any comics on Amazon but keep hearing people say they find good deals all the time.

1 Like

It can be a complete crapshoot until you get a feel for the dealers you can trust. I won’t lie, there are some real turds on there as well.
Amazon can be a real hassle searching as well. Very often folks, will list things incorrectly as well.
I know that makes it sound bad, but by the same token, it can pay off.
That Falcon design variant was listed as a plain #1 issue for example.
I find it an amazing source for cheap, pure spec books, where I won’t be pissed if it isn’t flawless or fulfilled.
Because the masses tend to avoid it (comics), I often get books that have vanished elsewhere still for cheap.
Just another good tool at our disposal.

1 Like

Not a bad pick up in the bunch! Mosaic is going to come back and take people with overwhelming speculative whiplash. Uncanny Inhumans 11 will have its day.

1 Like

Recent hauls s/o to @drunkwooky for the Star Wars plug. This the first batch got more coming in.

Some Spidey issues got for cheap about $2-$3 a cover the miles was $7

My Batman movie comics. Had these when movie came out idk what happened to them.
The Marvel Knights Isaiah Bradley cover. Got 2 more coming in. Another Falcon copy.

Lastly Frankie’s for the Spiders

3 Likes

Here are some of my recent online pick ups.

Silencer 1 - I liked this series, great potential and it’s so cheap I can’t stop buying copies!
Books of Magic Mini Issue 1 - Great Gaiman story and 1st Timothy Hunter. These are crazy cheap for a book from that era with the first appearance of a character with Tim’s history…
Justice League 21 - 1st Shazam Family I got this and a combo variant. Because… I think it’s the 1st appearance of the Shazam family and I liked Mary Marvel in DCeased.
Nightwing 78 now being written by Tom Taylor is enough for me!
Some Combo packs, I always try and get these, really hard to find in the UK. I could be wrong but Combo variants of Key issues will be almost impossible to find for future collectors.

Dept of Truth 1 4th Print - I broke the golden rule and bought the Mirka Andolfo variant (Which I love) and cover B for issue 1 originally. And of course cover A is catching the heat. (Always bet on cover A! Especially when I don’t buy it)
We Live 1 - Great new series.
Jupiters Legacy 1 2nd Print. - Low printed - Great series, please don’t screw it up Netflix! Mark Millar doesn’t get the credit he deserves.
Gen 13 5 - Classic Campbell cover - 'Nuff said
We only find them, when they’re dead 1- 5th print.
The Woods - James Tynion - Got this to read.
James Stokoe’s Orphan and the five beasts 1 - I love the detailed artists like James Stokoe, Geoff Darrow etc.
Nocterra 1 - Off to a good start, I have a couple of 2nd prints and a Glow in the dark cover on the way too,
Once and future 1 - 7th Print. - Nice cover homage to Steve Bissette. (And I didn’t know there was an 8th print! Grrrrr)
Nottingham 1
P1030857a
Gwenpool stuff - I collect Gwenpool and I can’t tell you how happy I was to find the 2nd print of number 3. That’s the collecting bug in effect and why people pay the amounts they do for a key/issue they Need
Assorted other bits, I love the Deadpool 1 cover with Jeff the land shark. Uncanny Inhumans 11 was cheap as chips. Ultimates - Love a hip hop cover. (People will be collecting these for years) Shanna - Love some Frank Cho! All New Invaders 5 and 6 is 1st Ryoko Sabuki.(I think Gary Nusser mentioned that one - Thanks!)
I may throw up a few more later. (Been a big month of spending, I now need to recoup some funds with some Ebay selling)

4 Likes

Love those spider-verse’s! That’d make for an awesome picture, all together like that.

1 Like

Yeah I’m definitely trying to display them.

That Star Wars 21 issue is my favorite in that whole series. It was a great standalone story.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few masks out there. Just don’t buy the official one it’s garbage. I made my own. My wife hemmed a bandana for me, and I just cut my own design using a Cricut. I’ve only seen 1 other people with this mask in the wild and theirs was just printed on the front of a normal covid mask.

Patton Oswald signed MODOK Head Games. Thanks @Alana for the heads up.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, here’s Anthony Snyder’s signed COA stating the newspaper cutouts came directly from Russ Manning’s estate.

4 Likes