I Like What You Got! (Online Scores)

I’m admitting to being a complete hypocrite as I’m usually loud spoken about my disdain for anything like mystery boxes, grab bags, etc.
However, I was impressed with a Whatnot session that seemed to be very transparent, with a sort of “can’t lose” set up.
It was more about the risk of not getting a valuable box with books I wanted vs not getting the monetary return/value (if that makes sense).
Anyway, I bid and won a box at $360 and it contained these. I was quite happy with it.

All boxes were opened live, randomly picked so that helped ease the process.

7 Likes

Who did the sale?

@Anthony Wonderworld ran this one.
Some crazy nice books were in the boxes.
Saga #1 9.8 was one of the best.

1 Like

Of course Wonderworld did it…good ol’ Dennis Barger.

I don’t understand how it’s random if they put the books in the box to begin with? If you’re happy that’s all that matters really.

@ToddW A display was made of the majority of all potential books that were possible hits in the boxes (About 60% were known which still allowed for some suprises/fun). A set number of 20 mystery boxes were then created each with four books. All boxes then randomly mixed and numbered.

Winning bidder picks a box number of their choosing. Box is opened up live with contents revealed.
Wasn’t really anyway to be shady as it was fully transparent and the choice of boxes was random by the winner out of the remaining lot. They couldn’t play a bait and switch given the live results.

There were 10 High End CGC and CBCS graded books inserted. The 10 boxes without an inserted graded book had high end raw books inserted or a combination of higher grade raw books.

Since they were also opened live, it became a fun deduction process of what was left or possible. For example, with only 4 boxes left, the Saga 9.8 hadn’t been revealed, so bidding became a bit more intense realizing you had a 1/4 shot at that book.

Some of the books. Ms. Marvel #1 9.8, Copies of UF4 second prints, Invincible Iron Man #7 9.8, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1 9.8, Champions #1 Ross Variant 9.8.

Anyway, hope that explanation made sense.

2 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised to get a copy of White #1 in my last shipment from Mycomicshop.com. I had pre-ordered this in the beginning of the year and thought that I would never get one.

2 Likes

Yeah man. He has had some good sales and I heard his mystery boxes were awesome. Mel V is also doing mystery boxes that have been fire.

4 Likes

Yeah them Bad Mother packs went off

2 Likes

I’m pretty well stocked on Thanes First Appearances and added these last night.

4 Likes

Got one of these, as I’m a fan and dig the limited printing.

3 Likes

Empire Strikes Back Weekly 118-139

First Boba Fett cover on 129.

5 Likes

Been shopping the few major books I need for a couple months now while this should be a AF #15 I wont pay what people are paying for .5s :joy:. It’s extremely hard to find any deals on major keys online these days so I actually bought this from a collector in Germany. It is professionally restored by Susan Cicconi the best in the biz and Restoration expert for Sotheby’s, most all the NM or better professionally restored DC Gold and Silver keys are done by her. Going straight to one day grading at cbcs.

10 Likes

Amazing! Good pick up!

Yeah I haven’t looked at AF15 prices in months, but I looked at 1.0s listed last week and my eyes bulged out of my head when they were listed for $20-$26,0000! What!?

I’m watching to see if they sell for that.

That $3.6M 9.6 sale impressed me until I saw it was Heritage Auctions. Now it will always have an asterisk by it in my mind. Highly suspect. I guess Jim Halperin bought his own book again to put another high sale on the record.

I watched a couple heritage auctions recently and they are a joke got outbid on something and after the auction was over was offered the item for 1.5x what it sold for by the winner immediately after the auction. Then received 3 emails a day from heritage telling me I could buy the book at this new amount. Meanwhile the auction gets recorded at go collect in their sales numbers and prices at the auction price without the buyer premium which is 20% and in this case thousands of dollars more than the recorded selling price at go collect.

1 Like

Wait, what!? So there’s a built in post-auction flip mechanic re-selling the book for the winner almost immediately? That’s infuriating.

Meanwhile on ebay, a .5 sells for $11k. Arguably not even a complete copy.

1 Like

]

Susan Cicconi has been the best in the biz since the late eighties! Very nice!

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m always watching Facebook for local deals. Bought 5 longboxes and a plastic tote full of comics from a lady. They used to belong to her brother, he gave them to her, she’s had them for years and wanted them gone as she’s gonna move soon. Looks to be 1980s through early 2010s. Hopefully some gems in there as I dig. It’s a LOT of comics.

Just picked up a copy of the Batman Beyond 1st miniseries. $50 CAD including shipping. I’m happy to have it!

2 Likes