I Like What You Got (Original Art)

I think the problem is the possibility of duplication. Yes it says 1/1, yes it’s signed by the artist, but could it potentially be produced again? It would be a shitty thing for the artist to do, but yeah it could.

The original pencil and ink stuff, they’re giving up the source code. Even if they find a hi res scan and retrace in pencil and ink, it would still be different.

1 Like

the thing that stops them from doing that is as soon as they do that, the monoprint market dies

The market seems to agree that OA is worth more than a print, even if it is 1/1.

It is also true that many of the artists are turning digital, but even amongst these, there are some that try to do some traditionally for some additional income, especially for the covers and splash pages. I thought that doing so would be a nice compromise.

I bought a Frison cover and I like how she sells it. She sells the pencil draft along with the printed page she shades before rescanning and finishing digital. You get to see the steps in the process.

1 Like

Just thought to share that there is a way to collect art from digital artists which is through commissions. For some, such as Yasmine Putri, it may be the only way to own some art from them. Here’s what she did for me in my sketchbook.

7 Likes

That’s very nice commission!.
Just a tiny caveat for those looking to purchase hand drawn original art from artists that typically work digitially - be careful and review their previous commission work. Some of them are known very well as “great” cover artists digitally but when they put the pen & ink to paper it is a disaster in my opinion. Certainly not equivalent to their digital work at all.

I watched Mattina several years ago at NYCC hand draw a Thanos commission. I wanted one badly before seeing it drawn and was seriously considering getting on the list. Then I saw the finished Thanos - man it was awful for $1k. (Apologies if someone in this forum owns that piece)

1 Like

I paid $100 for a headshot of Venom and Deadpool that was not ever detailed and no effort put into it. Man I felt like such a sucker… So I try to stay away from that.

1 Like

Is this it? I feel for this collector, because this will be a tough sell at that price. In my opinion.

1 Like

Nope. It was significantly worse/less quality.
It wasn’t inked to this degree.

Although this certainly does show the difference between his digital work and his “by hand” work. If it wasn’t signed by him, I sincerely doubt anyone would know it is his work; save for a few super Mattina fans.
One can argue the “beauty in the eye of the beholder” when it comes to artwork, but I don’t think the difference between his digital and pen/ink is debatable

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even consider Mattina even close to being worthy enough to charge 1k for a commission that’s done onsite on a 11x17 or smaller sheet of paper… I know I wouldn’t give him that much money for his artwork.

3 Likes

I agree about Mattina.
I just didn’t want to start World War 3 on here with any Mattina fans.

My warning was more of a warning of Digital cover artists when they try to draw by hand. Be very very very careful and do the homework on previous hand drawn work.

2 Likes

Haha, I’m willing to bet even fans won’t put up a fight to defend him with his sketchy past on his artwork…

2 Likes

Here is my $100 original art by Greg Horn. And yes I have not bought anything from him since then. I’m sorry but if you are not going to put in effort into a commission then why even bother? That’s why I re-did the commission for @davidbitterbaum because I did not like that way the first one turned out.

2 Likes

This is my $20 commission from Bruce Timm that I got my youngest son.

8 Likes

The Horn one looks good, I’m sorry you were let down by it!

That Timm one is amazing tho. Just $20?

3 Likes

Yeah for $100 I was expecting more detail and pazaz :open_hands: lol

Yeah it was his “quick sketch”. It took him I would say less then 1 min. It was amazing watching him do it.

1 Like

Timm’s more finished BTAS headshots are going for insane money these days. That Joker is pretty cool for $20 and a way better buy than his quickie Batman.

2 Likes

Any McSpidey fans?

8 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
1st on the McFarlane autograph line?
I know he does sketches for 1st person on his lengthy autograph line