I Like What You Got! (Show Your Newsstand Pick-ups!)

did you get all the Swamp Things in one shop??? My eyes are glowing

I did. That was a really lucky day! Doesn’t happen often… they came back 9.2, 9.6, 9.6, 9.8, 9.8.

3 Likes

Newsies and a 9.8 at that. That’s more than lucky im jealous!

1 Like

The timing was luck. The pressing & submitting had less to do with luck though :grin: the shop didn’t even come close with their CGC grades…

5 Likes

Added another one

4 Likes

Been waiting for a high grade copy to show up on ebay for a while. Was digging through my back issues and came across my copy, which I thought I bought direct (don’t you love it when that happens?).

Looks pretty high grade…higher than what I’ve been seeing on eBay/mercari, for sure. guess my search may be over!

2 Likes

1 Like

First appearance of the characters from Planetary. It predates the first issue and contains a story unique to the issue& collected only in the collected editions.

4 Likes

Dont forget C-23 #6

(granted, I dont think there’s a newsstand variant)

1 Like

Thanks, I forgot to mention that one. Yet to see a newsstand of it & don’t expect to.

1 Like

I was Gen 13 inspired. Found the #5 a couple weeks ago.
$1 bin finds

3 Likes

The New X-Men series was the series I noticed I had quite a few newsstands and starting me down the rabbit hole of modern newsstands. I’ve made some very serious cash on quite a few.

1 Like

3 Likes

5 Likes

so i gotta ask what the big deal is with newsstand copies? are they inherently more rare than directs? is it just because newsstands are a type of variant before variant covers were a thing?

I’m pretty sure they are more rare, but definitely harder to find in great shape.

3 Likes

Older newsstands like before the 90s were more common and easier to find, but newsstands after the 90s and more modern are harder to find , most basic explanation

1 Like

The other thing about earlier newsstands is that although they are just as plentiful in number as direct, they are much more scarce in high grade becomes they typically were sold on spinner racks or newsstands (go figure) and geared towards being kids reader copies, not cared for by collectors.

So a book like ASM 300 is a tougher find in 9.6 and higher newsstand than direct.

2 Likes

Example of spinner rack damage on the newstands New Mutants 9 vs direct. Spinner rack damage on the base but otherwise same condition as the newstand so all damage was likely from the rack.

2 Likes