Jim Comics Picks

Now we have the forums, where you, the community continues to talk spec and bring readers back daily. :wink:

I know several friends who only read and care less about value but they don’t toss them in the trash. They normally pass around to others who might be interested in reading.

I’m pretty sure I have seen all of his videos, so I’ll share a couple of things:

He’s mentioned that his intent is to hand his comics down to his kids.

He speculated on Amulet two months before it even came out, and then again when it came out, so this isn’t “new spec” for him. It came out on March 4, 2020 and his video on January 8 at the 16:50 mark talks about it…a month PRIOR to FOC.

He continually shows the actual comics when he talks about them, and goes back months later and references them again…still with the same comics in hand. And he has READ them, and will actually open the book to show what he is talking about.

I know it’s hard to fathom, but maybe he’s a guy that just likes comics and is enthusiastic to share information. If you think everyone has a nefarious motive behind making videos, then that may say more about you than him.

5 Likes

To anyone questioning him, you should go watch his previous videos. People trust him because he has given GREAT info for YEARS. He has EARNED that trust.

Some of you act like most people are dumb and need to be protected from something you ASSUME to be bad.

You know the saying about assumptions…

Do your homework, check out his previous content, and maybe apologize.

I think the participation rate for the forum would be significantly higher if there was less complaining and paranoia. It’s pretty constant about multiple subjects.

Am I saying to not point out sleaze-ball stuff? No.

I’m saying spend a little time, and dig in first, to make sure before you do so…

Jim’s Comics is a treasure to the comic hobby, and he is being ridiculed for providing value to all.

It’s behavior like this is that pushes people out of the hobby.

Please be nice and try to keep things positive. Thank you.

6 Likes

And another thing! :slight_smile:

KCC isn’t wrong and you’re not wrong either.

Let us not forget that calling things a first appearance or whatever is an OPINION.

OPIONION’S can’t be wrong. It’s impossible.

There will always be differing opinions about first appearances or cameos. That will never go away.

And as far as KCC goes, it seems like they handle these differing opinions well by detailing these differing opinions on their app for the particular comics that are in question.

What more can they do? So why keep bashing them?

It’s just unnecessary negativity that also pushes people out of the hobby.

1 Like

Well, about first appearances they have been. I don’t hate KCC, I just don’t like their approach and style most of the time. It’s misleading when you have multiple titles or issues claiming “cameo or first full”, etc. They’ve also posted wrong info on other issues to correct later on. Seems at times they should do some cross checks before pushing out some “key” alerts, etc. I put KCC at higher standards since they also charge for their services, this is a main difference from some guy with his own youtube channel anyone can watch with an internet connection.

So yes, I think it’s fine for people to point out if they misinform the masses. If they were just doing this for free and not charging it as a business, then I’d say oh well… but I think they’re on another level and I think they have some hidden agendas a times, but that’s just me. I don’t use them, most of the time it’s already known information found here or elsewhere.

3 Likes

But perhaps we should talk about KCC in the KCC thread instead of here.

1 Like

KCC is a speculation app. They speculate in the Future Keys section and sometimes they’re wrong.

We’re all guilty of doing this. It’s the very nature of what we do if we order something pre-FOC.

How do they handle it? They put the differing opinions in the listings along with pictures of the debated material for the comics in question.

What’s the problem? What more can they do?

Wrong. KCC is being paid for to pump out information. It’s a beast they need to feed. So KCC will put out anything, even wrong information, just to be “first”.

IDK whats with you today…drink too much coffee ??

4 Likes

No, not entirely true. They’re an information app. They’re just trying to claim “first appearance” and other notable story lines as “key” books along with adding secondary market values to their postings with a link to ebay, etc.

Even their TOS start off with their intent of the app and website:

“Key Collector Comics LLC (“Key Collector Comics”) provides individuals and businesses with a platform through which they can obtain and track information about comics and comic related products in the consumer marketplace. Specifically, Key Collector Comics is a database and price guide of curated information to help collectors identify which comics are valuable or significant to the history of comic books.”

Speculation is found 0 times in their TOS. They are not a speculation app. Users make it a speculation app.

1 Like

Alright, let’s talk about Jim and not KCC here. If you want to discuss KCC, join the KCC topic

1 Like

I like when I can read through an entire thread and have absolutely no idea who Jim even is. Just some dude Jim?

2 Likes

Aparently, he’s also slim…

2 Likes

Now THAT’s a Jim I can latch onto. Sooooooooo bad for ya; but absolutely delicious. I love that Jim

2 Likes

Oh no, witch cheese too. :cold_sweat:

1 Like

A lovely assortment of ingredients that I am going to speculate on and say they’re pretty darn bad for the body. Mechanically separated chicken? wtf is that? No one will disagree with this speculation :wink:

2 Likes

I put Slim Jims in my red bean and rice during the pandemic. Not even going to hate.

2 Likes

1 Like

I don’t believe anyone said Jim had a nefarious motive. I stated that he had an agenda. He seems to certainly like comics and is enthusiastic, and I watch his videos as well. But he still has an agenda.

I too have always watched JimComics & have always enjoyed him/the videos…but…it was also clear that a connection was made at one point between him and Nick from Key Collector and that it most certainly created an “agenda”. When an app that costs users real money provides picks that are labeled “JimComics pick of the week” that is information that is going to be generate increased sales and his videos/picks become more than just comic banter.

Since you all watch his videos, then you recall the creators/publisher of Duel sending him some books for free. That is in no way a slight on Jim. He didn’t ask them too, didn’t expect it…but Duel sold a hell of a lot of copies simply because of him (and the subsequent KCC) info.

I in no way think there is anything nefarious, nor did I say that. My whole deal is simply that I find it interesting how Jim (or anyone similar to him) can drive the market simply by bringing something up that seemed to be already well known. As stated, Jim talked about those Ms. Marvel books at length prior to this. Yet shortly after his video…poof…issues start selling. How many more copies of High Republic have moved recently because of him and his videos alone.
So my interest in Jim, and the topic at hand is simply that of the power of social media, FOMO, influencers, etc.
If that was taken as hate or I’ll will towards anyone… wasn’t my intent.

5 Likes