Legends of the Dark Knights

The comic that intrigues me right now is spider-verse 1, with all it’s 1st appearances and with spider zero. Because these Spider-Verse movies are really taking off, look how Silk took off even more when she was announced to be in the 2nd Spider-verse movie.

Wonder Woman 759 right now is all FOMO driven. Character’s name is stupid; dont see the selling price lasting. As for Death Metal #2, barely any value. Best bet is sticking with Legends and Death Metal #3. Legends takes place AFTER #3, so expect the Robin King transformation to happen then.

1 Like

And if i could buy a ton of Wonder Woman 759s at a cheap price, it would take 3 weeks to arrive because of Covid and shipping so the value of the book would probably be deflated by then. And I always want my comics to arrive pre-ordered from Midtown or Tfaw or somewhere else reputable because their comics come in the best condition, with no second hand people mangling the condition of the books.

I bought some WW 759 Jim Lee covers from FP. Holding longer than most here as I like to let them simmer. Will wait and see what they do with LL.

This argument makes sense if you flip. For some of us that hold, doesn’t matter to me the time it takes to arrive. I remember someone making this argument to me with Doctor Alfa’s first appearance, who had to have them quick to flip. I still hold all my issues and smile. When she gets out into a show/movie, I’ll Bank. It’s like fine wine … needs time to acquire a great taste.

1 Like

But will Liar Liar ever be in a TV show or Movie, they will most likely put a more important established character in a TV show or Movie for the MANY MANY Wonder Woman TV shows and Movies that are coming out in the near future (next say 10 years).

If your going to collect a comic hold on to ASM 31 the 1st Gwen Stacy, because there are so many variations of Gwen and because she is a popular character, she is bound to be in a Movie or TV show in the near future. And the comic is relatively cheap for a character that debuted in 1965, 3 years after the 1st appearance of Peter Parker, a 9.0’s FMV is $1400 compared to a 9.8 ESV 2 which just sold on eBay for $910. I’m a collector and a flipper, but I collect the comics worth collecting and flip to buy the comics worth collecting.

We don’t know much about the character she could be a NPC for all we know but she could also be the next Zatanna and future member of the Justice League. So it’s not an investment it’s a $4 lottery ticket that is valid for life.

1 Like

Same with Major X, and look at where he is going, downhill. And that investment may take a lonnnnnnggg time to come true if she is the next member of the Justice League. Think about it from the Business side of things, new characters means $$$$ so DC will continue to pump out new characters for the time being. Continuing stories about the characters means that the characters will have their own comics but those comics make less money than comics that continuously have new characters. And most people at the top care about money more than anything else that’s how people are, and they won’t change. People now days at the top psychologically only think about themselves and don’t care about others enjoyment in the progression of stories and characters others have. The whole ruling world just cares about money. And even if the creators and illustrators care about their fan’s enjoyment, there is always someone above them saying, make me more money!!!

I was a finance major with an economics minor and I learned how people really were, making me stray away from business. There is no ethics in American Business, just profit gouging. They will use you and manipulate you just to make a cent. Then when they see they can not benefit from you profit wise as much as another person they throw you to the curve and let you rot.

1 Like

Seriously. I could have said this about EVERY X-Men/X-Factor/etc. characters to appear across my X-Men issues from 50-500. You never know. It comes down to personal preference. I am a collector by heart. I don’t flip as a primary instinct. If I buy a few extra of something I may peel off at a later point in time.

I didn’t start flipping until the recent boom of all these 1st appearance characters in the market, where almost everything labled 1st appearance is automatically above face value. I collect too, but this market is starting to become more profitable through my short term flips, than my long term holds. Like for my long term CGC holds I’m having to wait 2-3 years for them to double or triple in value; whereas with my quick buy and flips, I’m making 4x the moment I open the box the comics are shipped in, so I can save up to purchase my older long term CGC investment Hold comics. But I do hold onto the major major modern characters that come to market that I can buy cheap such as Ultimate Fallout 4 which I bought 20 copies 2 1/2 years ago for around $18 a piece on average, Howard the Duck 1, Amazing Spiderman 4, and I’m going to hold on to Death Metal Legends for the long run as well. I missed out on BWL and Kamala, well for the most part.

2 Likes

Looking at recent Ebay listings for Legends, why is every seller listing the book for around $25 and a little less ? Are they trying to sell and get out quick ? Why dump it ? You would think that every time the book sells, a new listing would increase the asking price. Makes no sense…smh.

@monopolyjackson Agreed.
I have a LCS that basically just continued to remain “closed” after the lock down as they seem to be extremely fearful (maybe they are immuno-compromised, etc-doesn’t matter I why I suppose). They still have the store and continue with comics though. They only do curbside pick up, mail order, and use a basic webstore interface for new comics. I’ve tried to continue to order a few things from them as I think most don’t and the owner has always been a nice fellow.

Long story short, I checked his website this morning and he has the Legends book up…with a price of $25. Since he started this routine back in March it is the first time I’ve ever seen him list a new book for more than cover price. He may not have had many “hot new books” to sell at cover & is likely holding books back, but he’s never raised the price on a book on initial release.

Not a complaint either, just an observation.

Just found it interesting and along with your point…why the automatic 25 bucks. Hell, just hold them back all together.

1 Like

These aren’t sellers, they’re quick flippers. These are flippers setting the market price value, not the market deciding the actual price by auctions to determine value based on actual demand, etc.

Yes, maybe some will hold a few for the long term.

Cause they pumped it? :thinking:

We’ve barely scratched the surface of this new character. In a year everyone could think he’s lame and not care anymore. There’s a lot of FOMO going on in comics… everyone fears of missing out on the next big book that will make them… :money_mouth_face:

Normally yes, but I think this is classic case of, retailers, flippers and dumpers setting the value of the book. All the speculators and flippers gobbled up all the copies and now all those who just wanted the book for any other reason missed out and having to buy at the inflated price. And the greedy retailers who see a way to make a quick buck who sell at the secondary set pre-sale price by likely flippers, and likely other retailers are gonna screw over their customers if they’re gonna charge them $25 for the book.

1 Like

I have to LCSs near me. 1 has never raised price(so far) on books hotness the day of release the other has done so everytime hes gotten phone calls or looked on Ebay about a book. This wed I’m going to see what’s up. I have 4 copies on preorder so I dont really need another copy. but the 2nd shop has lost me because of the price gauging on a hot book day of release. Next day next week its whatever. Get the $$ but day of should always be cover price to me.

2 Likes

My shop put the Legends book up on the website for $20 before release. He could just tell people to preorder the 2nd print if they want to “read the book”, but the FOC is today and a lot of normies may still not know about this until Tuesday/Wednesday. I preordered a 2nd print of DM#3 and Legends anyway.

1 Like

Geez… that’s the best way to slap your customers in the face… particularly the loyal ones. If my shop did that, I’d be like… good luck selling those, I hope they sit there for the next 10 years!

I told him about that book and Hell Arisen 3 way before people were freaking out about them. I’m going to shut my mouth from now on though.

My normal goto shop closed but prior to that, I would feed him info on release day. The poor guy was overworked so he didn’t have time to research spec sites and such. But he also wasn’t that type of price gouger either. He gave all his customers a chance. It’s about moving inventory as a retailer to make money, not playing the speculator market to rip off your customers. (most shop owners know their regulars from the people they’ve never seen before, if you don’t want speculators clearing your shelf, if you’ve never seen them before and you notice they go straight to the hot comic of the week, tell’em you’re limiting to 1, it’s a very simple method).

So usually if there was a hot book, I’d grab an extra or two and at checkout I’d tell him… I’m only buying 2, but these other 2 are for you to tuck under the counter as this book is already selling for above cover…

After he’d sell out, he’d at times set out the hot book at a higher price… and or sometimes he’d just tell me a regular came in so he pulled out the copy from under the table cause they missed out on release day.

Common sense should apply at times. If you’re a shop owner who doesn’t keep up on what’s hot pre-release, if you see a book showing up at every transaction the day of, should be pretty obvious…

2 Likes

I went into a LCS this week I had never went into before. They were selling Legends for $25 on their website. Nice place but I am not giving business if your gouging me on the price. You want to inflate before a release and make a buck - your store. I am not shopping at it.