Mother of Madness by Emilia Clarke July 21

I reached out and asked and they said I had to confirm the shipping quote was acceptable. I didn’t read the shipping quote email when it hit my inbox (except just to see what the cost would be), but I went back and read the email. It definitely says I need to accept the shipping quote or else they will cancel in 7 days.

I asked them to reinstate the order. Crossing fingers.

They didn’t send me a follow-up email yet, but my order is no longer cancelled. I feel like I’m going to have to check this every week.

2 Likes

I received 2 orders from FP. Both had the comics loose in a Gemini mailer, no backing boards. Hope you guys fare better.

No email to confirm shipping for me yet. Order has not been cancelled yet.

1 Like

Just got an update today to confirm my card. I did and I’m good to go.

Yeah, Forbidden Planet only board ratios and signed comics, and afaik there’s no way to request the option. I’m in the UK and have had no problem with damages, over hundreds of orders. They mostly use corrugated mailers too, so would hopefully fare well traveling overseas.

1 Like

Yeah, good luck guys getting your comic books in NM. FP have started to put 4 comic books in 1 plastic bag.

Sounds like FP may be a last resort for regular books, but for the signed MOM book I’ll be happy as long as it’s in decent at the price I paid.

My presser has already been primed it’s to be expected from FP.
I expect no better

1 Like

My Star Wars signed package was delivered. There are 2 big bends on the spine at first glance. Glad I ordered a cheap press a few days ago.

1 Like

I just got my signed Republic #1 from FP, its like a cheap knock off of a Gemini that was used. Super flimsy compared to a real Gemini and easily bent.

30+ years of stores doing internet/online sales and many STILL don’t know how to ship a comic safely and securely. It’s simply baffling to me.
This is not the casual ebayer who finds a comic, sells it, and sends it in a manila folder because they don’t know anything about comics.
This is a comic book store. Aren’t they supposed to know a little better?

2 Likes

Not just any comic store. I think this is the largest comic retailer in the UK.

1 Like

Cost vs Risk and simple math.

If X out of Y come back damaged on average while the total damage refunds cost is less than the total costs to buy extra packing materials, they’ll take the risk while gaining profits in the process.

1 Like

I hear ya. And yup, I’m familiar with that approach. My company (shall be nameless) takes that risk based approach.
All that said, I’d be curious to know the percentage of less sales they’d have by adding $0.50 (or rough euro equivalent) of packing. I, for one, will put out that much more to be assured a quality product when it reaches me. Not to mention the amount of lost customer base they have. And I’m not even sure how they can measure that.
Lastly, the packaging thing is consistent with many internet comic sales; not just Forbidden Planet. I know some of the significantly smaller U.S. based are pretty poor also. It just seems like the ramifications, even taking into account the cost vs. risk principle, is extensive. Both measurable and not measurable.

2 Likes

Super flimsy you say?

That looks like rats were chewing on it…

Good lord! I don’t even know how that happens

Right? How much less are the mailers they are using than Geminis or something similar would cost. I don’t know if it’s much more expensive for Europe to get ahold of Geminis, but I buy 135 off ebay and it works out to 70 cents or so. I’d imagine a huge store could get that way down. And if they can’t get Geminis that cheap, I’m sure there are better alternatives in Europe.

I think my orders from Slab City and 7ate9 have come in comic mailers, but not Geminis and they have always arrived safely.

And since they are sending us an estimate after the fact anyway, why not just add a dollar, or pound or whatever and ship safely? This makes absolutely no sense and it’s more a reflection of the ineptitude of the people running the shop than anything else.

1 Like

Why not message them and tell them this?

EDIT: Attempting to be more clear: isn’t it better to complain directly to the company you are complaining about, instead of posting your complaint in a forum they probably never even heard of?