New Comic Book Day

Is that an American thing? I’ve never seen anything like that happen at any of the 7-8 shops I could visit on any given Wednesday.
There may be a few people lined up before open, but nobody is assaulting anyone to get a comic book.

I visit two shops now, it was 4 or 5, but I just don’t have the time anymore. The first shop I usually get there 10 minutes early, and there are two old school guys there all the time. They are the nicest guys. A few other regulars show up and we usually just bs about nerd stuff until the shop opens. The store always treats it’s customers right and they will try to get you anything you want, never marking up a single normal copy (unless it’s a back issue in the bins, but has to be years old).

The other shop is not my favorite, but I’m usually able to grab what I want and they open a little later so it works out well timing wise. I’ve never seen an argument or fight, and I was able to get the deal on the 8th print siktc for “free”.

Wish all shops were like the first one, they really stand out, and subsequently make a profit no problem!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, in my area… it has become the thing. Yupper. Cutthroat is the 1st word that comes to mind

1 Like

Yes, some American shoppers are insane and yes, I’m sure those fighting over comics on Wednesdays are those same assholes shoving people out of the way to get their portable blu-ray player for $49.95 at Wal-Mart on Black Friday…

1 Like

It’s a douchebag thing.

If I’m going to grab more than one copy (and never more than 2 per shop) on Wednesdays I grab one and will wait 5-10 minutes in case someone else shows up at or near opening and wanted the same book.

I usually just want the best condition copy they have.

But never have I argued over a book, or seen someone do so in the shops I visit. And they do t get many copies of anything…not a lot of traffic At opening either…usually I’m the only one waiting at t he door.

I have on occasion had one or two copies of a book and someone came in looking for it before I checked out…and I be given up a copy…but only if i can tell they are a regular.

You can spot them even if you’re
Don’t recognize them…they know their way around pretty well.

4 Likes

Yes, because it’s not just Americans, there are other countries where people act like morons when it comes to buying things they want.

2 Likes

I’m always surprised there’s no “rush” when I go into the LCS. I usually arrive 15 mins to an hour after open. I’ll see a max of 8 people at once when I go, usually it is about four people. Maybe it’s worse at open, don’t know.
However, last week I did see my first instance of someone being a jerk in the shop.
There were two guys, bigger, more experienced collector talking down to a little guy that was obviously newer to the hobby. He was asking some questions and every response was in a condescending tone or bragging. Stuff like that just grates my nerves.

3 Likes

Managed to pick up Robin #1 1:25, BZRKR #2 (both suprise variants), Silk #2 (Rose Besch 1:25), and Black Widow #6 Design Var all for 30% under ratio, and BZRKR#1 3rd ptg for $10 this week at my LCS but didn’t manage to snag a regular BW#6.

2 Likes

Recently relocated to TN. Picked up my pulls and grabbed a BZRKR #2 off the shelve as it is not on my list. The clerk asked if I had picked up BZRKR #1 from them and I told him yes. He proceeded to give me a copy of SIKTC 1 8th print for free as a thanks.

7 Likes

I went into my LCS looking for Stray Dogs #2 2nd ptg and Geiger #1 2nd ptg in my pullbox, but both were damaged. Now I have zero copies of Geiger #1. Oh well, more money for other stuff.

This is what I picked up today. I only got a few comics this week. When I walked into my LCS I had my coupon for the SIKTC 1# 8th print. I asked an employee that I only dealt with once if he had anymore of the promo comics and he said “NO”. I said ok and then he said, “We are out of the 2nd Brzrkr comics”. Then I told him I had one pulled in my pull list. Then he said ok, here is your SIKTC comic, lol. I am glad that they were looking out for there regular customers.

3 Likes

Grabbed these today. Cover price. Mostly because my LCS is awesome.

4 Likes

I avoid brick and mortar stores till after Wed. I order online ahead of time. I only venture out when I want extra copies of something the flippers leave alone. I quietly buy and stuff in my box for another day.

At some point people coming looking and I’ll be there.

1 Like

You’re LCS is awesome if they gave you 4 copies of Brzrkr #1 3rd print at cover. I have been going to my LCS forever, had pre-ordered 2 copies, but could only get one copy. I did manage to get it at cover (less my discount) so I wasn’t too upset given I knew it was allocated. My LCS also limited me to one copy of the SIKTC 8th print, but my backup LCS was more generous (5 copies).

Did you buy 5 copies of Brzrkr #1 and #2 to qualify?

1 Like

I just had to buy 5 copies of Brzrkr #2. Two of those included the secret variants which I paid extra for.

1 Like

Speaking from the UK, that is absolutely true. There is a small proportion of people who have no perspective, little decency and a high degree of selfishness in just about every country I have been to. No monopoly on that by any nation.

3 Likes

Anyone else pick up a pack today?

image image

2 Likes

I got them.

Rookie cards!!

1 Like