New Gay Captain America in United States of Captain America #1

Marvels Voices Pride #1 is TERRIBLE. Man…I just…no other words to describe the art & writing. Also, Gay Cap has a small 1 page cameo, no words.

4 Likes

Reading all this marvel is turning me gay.

Feels a little forced. But a cameo is technically a first appearance!

And a $9.99 cover price means likely a low print run for a variant cover.

How was Somnus’ story/appearance?

It was alright. He’s Daken’s long forgotten boyfriend/lover. His origin/rebirth seems forced. He’s named and in full costume on the last page of his story.

1 Like

Sarcasm or joking? If so, you might want to rephrase or add a smiley or something to indicate such thing as some could read that comment as being gay is a bad thing, which it’s not.

7 Likes

1st Cameo and cover good enough for me.

2 Likes

It was clearly a joke. You can’t turn gay, your just born that way.

2 Likes

Cool, just wanna make sure! :+1:

2 Likes

What I dont understand is what a gay Captain America is suppose to look like, I mean, if it’s his sexuality, what’s that got to do with a costume and with this fighting crime, surely his enemies would never even know he was gay, he certainly wouldnt prance around like Billy Elliot, advertising it, Why would you do that if you are just a normal person with a different sexual orientation?.. What I’m saying is, what’s it got to do with the character. his private life is the irrelevant.

3 Likes

What I don’t understand is why people don’t post shit like this about straight characters? Their sexuality is just as irrelevant but when we see a male and female superhero couple no one feels the need to make comments about why their sexual orientation matters. You would absolutely never post a comment like this when talking about any heterosexual couple in comics. Oh why are they showing this straight couple holding hands and in a relationship. It’s so irrelevant to the characters. Nonsense.

8 Likes

Of course it has nothing to do with being a hero. It’s for marvel to expand to a different audience. Bottom line it comes to Marvel wanting to make more money and appear woke.

2 Likes

Anyone wanna chime in with “the gay agenda”? We already have the gay characters sexuality is irrelevant and they’re just trying to be “woke”. The next step is they are just pushing that “gay agenda”.

The reason they talk about sexuality is because some readers like to relate the to characters they’re reading about.

Yes, being gay has nothing to do with if you can kick ass as a super hero but since stories dive into the personal lives of the characters, that’s why it makes sense.

So yes, you don’t label someone who isn’t “gay” as a heterosexual, since that’s the majority for the most part. If someone doesn’t identify as gay or lesbian, it’s just assume they’re heterosexual.

That’s my two cents on the why, what and where… whatever! Let’s keep it clean though.

1 Like

Read my previous comment. It’s not irrelevant though. Look at Peter Parker and why he was so popular from the get go back in the 60s. Kids could relate to him and his “personal” problems. These things do matter when you’re telling the complete story and it gives a reason for people who might be “gay” or “lesbian” a way to relate to them if they’re reading the stories within.

There is no gay agenda though, let’s just stop that nonsense talk right now or we’ll have some serious problems.

1 Like

Have we had a prominent male character in comics that was gay?

Pick from there, I think the term ‘prominent’ is subjective to who you might be talking to… :wink:

1 Like

Representation matters. Diversity matters. If representing as many different types of people as possible and being inclusive and diverse is being woke than consider me woke because I am all about it and people being able to see someone like them in comics, tv and movies. I am straight and white and all I ever saw growing up is straight and white characters in 99% of all media. America is supposed to be a melting pot but still doesn’t really act like it much.

6 Likes

A young gay man, a young gay woman, trans people, bisexual people, seeing themselves as heroes in their favorite medium is a big deal. As a middle-class white man, I have never had a shortage of heroes portrayed, but I’m starting to understand why it would be important to people who aren’t like me.

Now, having said that, Marvel, DC, etc. are going to debut and push some LGBTQ+ characters who fall completely flat and are just abyssmal failures. That’s not the same and doesn’t reflect on the importance of the concept of somebody from that community being depicted, together with their personal life. All our favorite heroes have their personal lives portrayed in comics. It’s part of what makes them relatable. Peter’s on again off again relationship with MJ, Tony and Pepper Potts, and myriad other examples. People who aren’t binary heterosexually oriented get to have that relatability as well. No, personal relationships in comics aren’t strictly necessary, but neither are comics generally. At the end of the day it’s a discretionary entertainment item, but now it caters to people who aren’t exactly like me and I think that’s fine. Some gay characters are hits like Doctor Aphra, some will be duds.

5 Likes

Ice Man?