New Variant Ratios on TFAW

Radiant Black #7 Herrera Variant is back up

1 Like

Not sure if I love or hate this title yet, but thatā€™s a pretty solid cover.

I havenā€™t read 7 yet but 4-6 have been outstanding, IMO. Pulled me back in.

Weā€™re just not happy either way. We complain about the old books on our preorders. Whether itā€™s ā€œclutterā€ or skewing what our totals will be. We complain about them removing the books without notice. Lol. Though notice should always be given IMO.

Did you check your Spam or Promotions on your email if applicable? I know Iā€™ve found emails that shouldā€™ve gone to my inbox but ended up in those instead.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ve only read 1-3, and those were pretty bad, IMO. Everyone says 4 on is good, so Iā€™ll stick with it.

Even though itā€™s the middle of the first arc, #4 is a great issue for new readers to jump in. You donā€™t really need any of the backstory from issue 1-3. You can kind of figure out who is who and what is what in reading #4.

Do you work for Black Mask? Can you be 100% certain with such statements?

The problem with print run number and what publishers and retailers claim is all hearsay unless they provide actual proof. Take it with a grain of salt.

Yes I did. I found nothing.

1 Like

Okay. Theyā€™re lying. Itā€™s so damn hard to get these books because they really printed 25000 not 2500 and everyone is just hanging on to them for what, long term spec?

You can flip 1 and 2 for around $100 combined right now. Thatā€™s 16x profit if you preordered at $3. Must be a lot of people that really believe in the Black/White option news.

I pre ordered #1 from 10 stores and got zero. Most of them said they got 1 copy at most. Thatā€™s why I know it was 2500, but you go ahead and keep on thinking everything is against the consumer in this hobby and everyone is shady, itā€™s such a pleasant vibe.

2 Likes

I never said it was 25000, Iā€™m just implying I donā€™t take a publisher or retailers word on print runs cause itā€™s something weā€™ll never know. You seem to take everything so literal as truth from publishers/retailers and are very combative when people offer differing opinions. You should stop that!

Also, your argument is a fallacy.

I ordered copies from 10 different stores and got none.
Therefore, the print run has to be 2500.

Go lookup logical fallacies if youā€™re not sure which one yours is.

2 Likes

Maybe. I preordered with TFAW White #1 as soon as I saw it up. I believe my date was Feb 2nd and I didnā€™t get a copy. Maybe someone had ordered before? I was surprised to not get 1 honestly, just because of how early I ordered. Iā€™m not sad or angry, just surprised. TFAW sent me the cancelled order email about a week and a half after the release date that I wasnā€™t getting it.

1 Like

I think Marvel/Walmart Scandal has proven print run numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. I fully believe they may have shipped 2,500 copies. However, I also fully believe they held back copies to cover damages, artist and writer comps, and stuff like that. So there will never be an absolute print run unless you see the printer invoice.

4 Likes

No one said they were being destroyed. Weā€™re working with a charity that weā€™ll talk about later that agreed to cut out or destroy the barcodes on the back.

An update on my TFAW shipment. I finally received it after two weeks through Fedex. I received the ā€˜Something Killing ā€¦ 18ā€™ , ā€˜Star Wars HR ā€¦Momoko, ā€™ Goon ā€¦resketchedā€™ variants, and other variants + regular books. The books were ALL bagged and boarded, and well packaged in two separate packages, and surrounded by packing beans, in a large box. Overall, the books were in great condition and I was happy to receive it (especially the addition of bags/boards that I had not paid for).

Still hoping for the SW Coello variant which shows as processing ā€¦ May be things are starting to turn around. Good luck to everyone else on their TFAW shipments !

We got 2 copies of White #1 per store. And had 10,000+ ordered on our site alone.

2 people out of thousands of people who ordered got a single copy each.

And weā€™re STILL getting daily emails and calls complaining about people not getting their copies.

Thatā€™s why we took down White 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. because anything announcing allocation ahead of time weā€™re likely just not going to put up anymore if they also have an FOC date. FOC dates are supposed to let shops have a cutoff for when to tell total orders, not serve as a marketing tool.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was going by the information shared here first which was inaccurate.

Thatā€™s basically it. It says it in better detail on our help page about exclusives. But basically thereā€™s the print run (the total printed) and the edition size (the amount that will actually be in the world). Once the last shipments for copies ordered in the edition size have been sent out and its been long enough we donā€™t expect any damage reports or need to send any replacements, the copies that were set aside to cover damages are recycled. Sometimes if itā€™s a bigger run (like Marvel/DC) creators ask for a few copies for themselves.

The new thing weā€™re doing is basically for the ones that DONā€™T sell out of the edition size, at some point weā€™re stopping taking orders on them and damaging the remaining copies (both edition size and print size) enough that collectors would consider them damaged, and then working with a couple of charity partners to mail them all the copies so they can distribute them to kids and hospitals and stuff. So for example if Comic #1 minimal trade had 1500 total copies in the edition and we ended up selling 512, the final edition size of it will be 512 and the other ~1000 will have their back covers damaged/barcodes removed and sent to our partner. So the total number out there will still match the original edition size, but only 512 copies would be considered in collectible condition or however you want to phrase it.

The main goal being twofold. One to reward people who ordered exclusives that didnā€™t perform as well as we thought they might (because itā€™s now rarer, and also not available for the original price on our store anymore), and two because they take up a lot of space in the warehouse and at a certain point itā€™s just not worth having them sit on shelves for months/years in hopes that one day a Netflix show starts that will reignite people wanting to get every cover they could.

2 Likes

There should have been an email sent out. The system automatically sends an email when an item is cancelled, or if the price is increased on a pre-order item. But with the way emails are filtered these days who knows if it got through or to the right spot.

As a comic book lover, please consider just getting rid of the barcode (I know it may be difficult) or putting a TFAW sticker or something on the cover, to make it less collectible, when TFAW donates to charity. Seeing a book with a cover ripped off, makes me very sad. Just my OCD kicking in - but even going through $ boxes and seeing creased covers/bends, etc. perturbs me.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Maybe even cross out the barcode with an X.

1 Like