Nightwing #81 Full Heartless

Do you actually sell out of SA? Or do you just hold onto all the great books you find?

Sadly not but there is a small community here on facebook and I have managed to meet a couple other collectors so I use that platform to sell books and fund the hobby.

Would be great if I could use ebay cause then Iā€™d be getting 3 to 4 times more per book but hopefully Iā€™ll be in the UK soon and be able to use other platforms to sell and reliably ship books.

3 Likes

Nightwing 81a sold out at tfaw.

Looks like ebay sales are at $15 now, and Iā€™m not finding them online at any of the other stores.

Why are people upping the price of 81 if the spec is Melinda is Dickson sister and her first appearance is 78?

Cause momma says ā€œstupid is, as stupid doesā€.

3 Likes

Itā€™s got a lot going for it. Revelation of Graysonā€™s sister, first full appearance of Heartless and a real snazzy cover A.

1 Like

Yeah that cover looks neat!

I honestly donā€™t understand why #81 would catch anyone by surprise at this point.
There are books/series, that from a spec perspective, it just makes sense to add at a certain point. This was one of them.

2 Likes

Letā€™s just hope the character sticks around. That will be what really matters.

1 Like

Nightwing isnā€™t a heavily ordered book. If it was a batman issue, it would be different.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been known for a while that this was Heartless first full appearance but the spoiler leak of Melinda revealing to Grayson sheā€™s his sister likely added a lot of extra heat this past week.

I agree that Nightwing is ā€œtypicallyā€ not a heavily ordered bookā€¦which is why #78 is/was tough to find.

However, the popularity of #78, a new team, and drawn out hype on Heartless changed that, brought attention, and the book has been readily available and heavily discussed since.
I realize not all collectors spend their time on spec or sitesā€¦but Nightwing has not been a surprise or difficult to find since #78.

A first full of a new villain would still draw the crowds and have folks wanting itā€¦the new info on his sister isnā€™t going to make droves of new fans relative to the bookā€¦if they cared that much, it would already be on their radar as a Nightwing fan.

1 Like

You certainly have a point. But, there have been multiple sales above $10. Weā€™ll see how it goes when it hits stores and online orders are filled.

1 Like

Please know Iā€™m not disagreeing with the importance of the book or the spec/popularity. Itā€™s definitely a book to get, flip, collect, whatever folks like to do. Iā€™m sure it will sell like crazy, not a doubt.

I guess my point is that I believe there are sort of three collectors relative to this book and very few should fall into the third category:
1: Nightwing fans who would get the book regardless and have it on their pulls.
2: Comic spec buyers who may not typically get the book, but already had it on their radars because of the first full Heartless and nice cover.
3. Pretty darn oblivious spec collectors who have no idea about Nightwing, Heartless/prior spec and read an article that itā€™s a hot book and rush out to buy it.

1 Like

Also helps that Tom Taylor is a very popular and good writer. I know a lot of people who picked it up cause of his writing duties

2 Likes

Also I think most people thought 80 was going to be first full of heartless and it ended up being a second cameo.

2 Likes

Literally everyone and their mothers knows 81 is Heartlessā€™ first full and the whole sister thing. This book will be heavily ordered and everywhere. It isnā€™t going to have the long term potential of a Punchline. It wonā€™t ever come close to what Hell Arisen 3 is. Really hard for books like this to be anything more than a quick flip flash in the pan. Hell Arisen 3 was an anomaly because so much stuff went down with two different narratives from both Tynion and DC and DC didnā€™t clarify it as first full app until after FOC had passed, leading to a straight up craze at shops everywhere. It was a spec wet dream, really.

Itā€™s a really good series, Tom Taylor seems to get the characters just right. It has the bonus of having amazing art by Bruno Redondo as well. I recommend you read it more than speculate. To me itā€™s top quality super hero writing. (I loved Taylors work on All new Wolverine, Dceased, Suicide Quad and even the Batman series heā€™s on right now)

Well I was going to stay out of this thread until after I read the book, but then I saw the Spec & Drek articleā€¦ Iā€™m pulling the series because Iā€™m a Nightwing fan and a Tom Taylor fan so it is a match made in heaven for me. The spec heat is nice too, but Iā€™m not selling. Not yet, at least.

I think even if youā€™re not a Nightwing fan, if you enjoy comics and superheroes and are even vaguely familiar with Grayson lore youā€™ll enjoy the series.

2 Likes