Possible Last Big Purchase

Honestly, I attempted to buy a 9.6 while paying for grader’s note, until recent the news which bumped 9.6-9.4 to higher price… so nice… Honestly, it hard to fathom that a 2011 book with a print run of 100K plus is pushing 3K…

That’s why I’m big on Previews 95. Most copies were trashed. 1st cover of Miles. Can’t go wrong.

Not sure what the year has to do with it…but miles will be bigger than venom.

2 Likes

Im not seeing the longevity of Echo either. So she’s going to get her own series. Is that going to be one of these 6-8 episodes only one season deal? Then what? Maybe she gets her own “black widow” movie….maybe?

Don’t get me wrong…unique cool character. But I wouldn’t invest in her long term…no way.

Even Spider-Gwen / ghost spider is a bit iffy. But she, along with Miles, is being geared toward the next generation of kids who will have money to spend in 20 years…keeping her first appearance relevant along with Miles.

As far as Spin Spider goes, they’re only doing that because they can’t have two Spider-Man’s on one cartoon. Confuses 4 yr olds. Peter will not always be associated with miles…not worried a bit.

5 Likes

This right here. Miles Morales is the most inevitable thing in all of collectibles. Print run, shmrint run, Miles appeals to more of the people you need your new characters to appeal to in the 2020s. Venom is sideshow compared to Mile Morales: Spider Man.

3 Likes

I love Echo…but do agree with much of the sentiment here if we are talking “investment”.

One thing that will always benefit the Echo books however, is the absolutely beautiful, iconic covers/interior art and storyline.

I also don’t believe it is a book that is all that easy to find (outside of paying big money on ebay). I remember when that series released, it readlly tapered off after the initial plot line by Smith finished. Not implying it is rare or anything…but it isn’t the easiest of finds either.

I watched a raw copy of UF4 end at just about 1k yesterday. IMO…buy the book now or regret it. You will have to pay…but it’s the name of the game.

3 Likes

On this note, does anyone have a lot of personal experience grading a lot of these polybagged books? I picked up two Ultimate Comics New Spidermen and they were still in the bag. We got all creasing out with pressing and the books look perfect and flat, BUT they both have faint surface wear lines down the cover where the poly was pressed against for a decade. How do any of these get 9.8s?

Set a reminder and let’s revisit next year!

2 Likes

The line your refereeing to seems to be on the back cover of the book. I don’t know if you can 100 percent successful remove them. I heard some people were able to remove them. Maybe you can ping EROD the presser to see if he can remove them.

There also seems to be “staple” wear or color rub loss on some of these 9.6 I seen. I’m guessing/assuming possibly not all 1st print were PolyBagged. Possibly some of them weren’t polyed, hence the 9.8 (AKA Newstand, maybe)

Agree with the price you saw for the raw copy of UF4. I think someone earlier said I can try to get one for 1/5. Honestly, I had no luck finding a NM RAW that is 1/5 of CGC 9.8 (600 if based off 3K)

For the price your paying for RAW these days, Its 9.8 or BUST, if your dropping 800-1K for that book.
CGC 9.4 (700)
CGC 9.6 (1K)
Grading is probably another ($33-$75 not including shipping EST)
Pressing ($15 EST)

P.S. Anyone know here had a UF4 RAW graded from CGC (Is it $33 or $75 or ???)

Those lines can be removed in most cases.

In most cases *** =). 800 a pop for RAW, wanna try =(.

1 Like

If anyone wants to trade NM+ AsM #300 for a NM+ UF#4 from me I’ll take that trade 4 times with my extra UF#4s.

What do you all think about the UF#4 second print? Worth the investment at a 9.8? As people get priced out of the first print, would it rise? Especially the variant with the Miles head shot lifting up the Spider-man mask?

I think Miles will keep getting more popular. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old and they loves Miles. For what it is worth, we are white and race doesn’t matter. My kids absolutely love Miles. The 6 year old was Miles for this past Halloween!!! Once Miles is in the MCU, his popularity will go nuclear.

3 Likes

Just curious, do they like Peter Parker (or do they even know him) ? Maybe its too soon, do they know Venom?

Oh yeah. They love Peter Parker/Spider-man too. We have Disney+ so they have watched a lot of the 90’s cartoon episodes. I have the old cartoons on DVD so they have seen those too. They also have seen bits and pieces of the Spider-man movies and they watch a lot of the MCU movies too. They love that Spiderverse cartoon movie. We have it on Blu-ray. My oldest was MCU Iron Spider for Halloween two years ago, lol. We are a Spider family I guess.

They know about Venom. I won’t let them watch the Venom movies. They have seen him in the cartoons. We have a huge bin full of the 90’s Toybiz animated series figures so they have a Venom figure too. I buy them Marvel Legends and we have Venom in that scale. Oddly, their favorite bad guy is King Pin !?!?!? A big bald dude?!?!?? It cracks me up considering all the other cool looking bad guys. I think Venom is more popular with people that can remember when McFarlane and Larsen first drew him, and then the over saturation of the early-mid 90’s. With the live Venom movies he is being introduced to a new audience/generation, but I think the people that are hard core Venom people are the ones that were there in the beginning.

I’m going to defer to the more knowledgeable folks on graded books. I do see the UF4 book as a grail (even with the large print). It will definitely see a bump as Miles gets more exposure. Just be careful, know your situation, and dont get carried away with your money ! I’m a low risk taker, so do what is good for you. I think most of us have let great opportunities get away, and regretted it later, but in the whole scheme of things, its just a book, and you have to weigh YOUR risk !

1 Like

800 raw is insane… although I’m all about buying ‘damaged’ books at discounted prices and pressing them to their maximum grades :grin:

Except that the price of Groot and Rocket books have fallen; still great but not at its peak.The value is tied to the media. I think Echo will see the same trajectory as Groot/Rocket; jury is still out till we see more of her in media. And she doesnt have as much of a push behind her; Ms. Marvel (Kamala) is being hyped more. Echo is an interesting character but her storylines, costume, and power set dont really stand out to a large audience (kind of like Elektra). Again, I could be wrong, depends on how Marvel develops and promotes her.
I think/feel UF4 will surpass Groot and Rocket in terms of longevity and appreciation, a true grail. Prices are high on UF4 but I feel that it will explode once Miles appears in a movie or TV show. Echo (IMO) has somewhat peaked; same as Groot/Rocket.
All views expressed here are my own and relative :wink:

The ‘Spin Spider’ renaming is dumb ! Most kids today and comic audience know Miles as Spider-man.