Rick and Morty

Sacking an employee just to say “we are neutral”? That’s the most stupid explanation I’ve read in a long time.

1 Like

Why do you think that?

It’s very common and happens all the time. These companies don’t want to spend any extra money defending their stance by keeping such people employed. It’s the best way to just remove yourself from someone’s personal situation they’ve gotten themselves into. It’s the best way to cut ties so you can move on from the situation without involving yourself further.

Which one was it this time?

This article and others paint him as barely involved for years besides submitting the voice-work. Makes it clear he alienated so many folks and that made it not too hard to cut him from the shows as he acted terribly. I just wonder why none of this was discussed before the allegations became public. Well, money is probably the answer.

1 Like

Or AS is trying to cover their ass with all of the fans talking about how the show will even continue without the voices, trying to keep the fans invested. Interesting how this stuff is only reported now after the fact (and 2+ years after the charges).

From what I can tell, seems like he should have been fired a long long time ago… I know I would have let him go.

1 Like

Yeah, but it’s not that simple when you’re dealing with creators who are also celebrities to their fans, a lot of value is perceived as being carried by them, and without knowing the details of the various deals in play, it would be hard to estimate the potential damage of removing him. Reading between the lines, they allowed him to fade into just doing the voices remotely, as it was the path of least resistance - at least until an actual court case came into view, and now they’re in damage control.

2 Likes

Well, some of this could be band wagon jumping too. Maybe he was hardly there, super troubled and not a good person or maybe there are some trying to vilify him further to make the transition without him “easier”.

At this point I am still holding my breath with all this. Having worked in Hollywood for roughly a decade, before all the cancel culture and Me too stuff happened, for me anyway, I can say that town brings out the absolute worst in people more often than not.

My ex works on shows and movies. It’s filled with a bunch of assholes for the most part. She would come home crying most days.

But it might bring out the worst in people but it’s still on them when they become assholes. People need to take on more self responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming others.

3 Likes

100% agree. It is on them. It just seems the whole industry is geared toward a survival of the fittest mentality where anything goes to get ahead…as long as you don’t get caught. A lot of assholes do well because they are never punished or even looked down on for screwing people over. It is entertaining to them and those around them.

What Hollywood taught me more than anything is there is no shortage of jerks out there. I will say there are some good people too. Some very awesome, very creative, good folk They just seemed way too thinly spread out overall.

1 Like

:100:

1 Like

I just really hope the show continues. I’m sure there are people that can sound like those characters, but there’s so much more to it that simply sounding like Rick or Morty. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

If they got rid of a horrible person that no one wanted to work with, we all still win even if the characters are no longer 100% original… I think the tradeoff of getting rid of the bad apple is of more importance here rather than keeping someone who’s toxic to others.

Who knows…It might do well but not to be a Debbie downer, I doubt it. A spin-off or two could work with Characters not Rick or Morty. The world could be expanded on that way. Maybe they will go in that direction once the seventh season most likely tanks.

Time for an all-Jerry extravaganza!

1 Like

I can totally see that happening.

If Simpsons and Family Guy characters can switch voice actors and still survive, I’m sure Rick and Morty can do the same, just as long as the show is good.

True, Meg wasn’t always Mila Kunis, folks forget.

Or they never knew… nor they never cared!