Shang Chi Post Credits Scenes Spoilers BEWARE!

Didn’t say anything bad about the movie just noting it’s in the bottom 5 weekend box offices for all Marvel movies.

1 Like

How did you find the movie when you watched it Alana?

I haven’t watched it yet.

I watched the Chinese version with French subtitles :joy:

1 Like

That sounds like my typical Russian torrent site downloads

1 Like

Oh, you pirated it? Must have been a really bad quality illegal ‘shooting in the movie theater’ version since it has not been released in China yet. What was the resolution?

No I went to a online streaming cooking class they just made a mistake and had the wrong video playing.

1 Like

I think it’s important to acknowledge that Black Widow came out when things were looking more “normal”. Many places had already dropped masks mandates and people were going out more. A lot can happen in 2 months, and the delta variant certainly made many cities and states do an about-turn and return to strict masking guidelines. Hospitals went from having 99% ICU availability to being 99% ICU full.

I say all that because Shang Chi’s box office is really good when you take all of that into account. Tenet came out last Labor Day weekend with a “weaker” COVID-19 strain and no streaming, and it only did $30M domestically.

Also, Shang Chi isn’t out in China yet. That’ll help give it long legs once it finally comes out.

1 Like

haha, a cooking class had a pirated Chinese version of Shang-Chi playing with French subs?

You would think that if it was a pirated Chinese version the French subs must have been tagged on post illegal shooting and since there was never even a Chinese release, that makes it even stranger.

So random.

Hilarious.

Did you manage to watch the whole thing?

I watched a good amount of it I fast forward through the first ten minutes to see if it was still in Chinese which it was the whole movie. I assume Chinese it wasn’t Japanese if it was Korean or Vietnamese I couldn’t tell you. The end credit scenes weren’t there the resolution quality wasn’t too bad. Hardest part is I took French in middle school and one year of high school and have never used it since so I think I translated decently but I don’t know.

Nice. How did you find the fight scenes?

Movie was dope af. The fight scenes and choreography were superb and some of the best action in all of mcu. The characters all really did a great job too

1 Like

It did better than Thor, during a pandemic on Labor Day weekend.

Imagine if the two swapped places

What If Shang Chi was released in 2011?

1 Like

Basically. I’m just getting burnt out on super hero movies.

1 Like

I agree with this. They’re not bringing anything truly new to the table. Saying Shang-Chi “doesn’t feel like a typical Marvel movie” is maybe somewhat true, but in the grand scheme of prelude, build up, crazy action sequences, grand ending… .it’s been the same.

Marvel needs to bring something truly new to the table; else these go the way of the Westerns some time back when Westerns were everywhere to be found in movies and tv for years and years.

2 Likes

I was talking to my son the other day. I’ve loved the genre, comics, comic films, fantasy for as long as I remember.

For me (and my son tended to agree), we simply feel like it has become “too much of a good thing”. I know that sounds absurd, but there is just so much anymore. Sure, with COVID, there was a break in the action, but generally speaking.

I understand I’m not typical of most with regard to this. Maybe it’s because I love other things too (video games, spending time outdoors, family activities, reading books, just reading comics, etc).

I just don’t need the constant stream of media films and shows. Sometimes feels like a chore and for the most part, while others are soooo excited about most of the films/shows, I just feel like they are mediocre. While the special effects game has been upped most certainly, the quality and storylines, acting, aren’t any better than the shows I grew up that I watched as a youngster (Hulk, Wonder Woman, Battlestar Galactica, Lone Ranger, 6 million dollar man,etc).

Also, remember, I’m sort of old and grumply…get off my lawn type of fellow at this point! :slight_smile:

This also isn’t me crapping on any of these films and shows. It’s just my own personal perception. There is nothing wrong with these films and shows…It’s all on me. I look forward to seeing Shang-Chi at some point even!

There is also something to be said for the fact that in many cases, a comic book reader and fan is already aware of the plot/characters so there is little to be truly surprised about. Or, if there is a change or surprise, it can leave me disappointed simply because the presented information didn’t match what my imagination created. That is always a recipe for a let down. Certainly is why I’m always disappointed (with a few exceptions) by Stephen King films.

If you grew up watching serial fantasy shows/serial fictions, or are heavily versed in fiction stories from throughout the ages, there is very little “new” material. As mentioned above, I grew up with the Lone Ranger, the show, the film, and listening to the radio serials with my grandpa. Let’s be honest, The Mandalorian is essentially the Lone Ranger (or Roy Rogers, Fort Laramie, Have gun will travel) with a space twist overlay.

2 Likes

This is why I loved, “Wandavision,” up till it became a bit formulaic at the end. It was so different and weird. Marvel needs to do weird stuff more!

3 Likes

Everyone (all production companies and studios) needs to branch out and experiment, do weird stuff. This is how great things are made instead of regurgitating the same ol same ol…

2 Likes

Yes. The thing is that, “Weird,” is not always guaranteed to make money. That’s why we don’t see it as much.

2 Likes

Shang-chi’s mother is an old lady in #4, except for a flashback.