Star Wars: The High Republic

And as someone who kept procrastinating and was waiting for cons to come back to finish filling in collection holes (versus buying stuff online and hoping for good condition) I hate it! :rofl:

1 Like

It’s not rare for issue 3 to be significantly lower than 1 and 2 of a new hot series. 1 is almost always going to be high just becauses it’s #1 and you have a huge amount of people who will buy all number 1s “just in case”. 2 a lot of people who buy 1 will still get because a lot of times 2 will FOC before 1 comes out, or even if they didn’t like 1 they still want to give it a shot and will check out 2. But 3 is where the spec USUALLY dies (not many people care about the 3rd issue of a series unless a character is introduced) and also where people who are on the fence with the series or weren’t huge fans of it will stop reading and either wait to see what other people say about it, or wait for the first trade to come out.

1 Like

I agree 100%. Isn’t the old adage 50% drop off after issue 1?

But my point was that 1 and the series was very hot right around when 3 was on FOC so I just figured it would be higher.

100%. Right around Covid hitting Star Wars started to take off, especially Dark Horse, and hasn’t stopped since.

Just the other day I got Jedi Vs Sith (1st Darth Bane) issues 1 through 6, plus the DF variant of 1, for $18 for the set. It was priced before the boom and was sitting on a hidden rack of sets. That’s now $600-700 in books.

I think a few factors caused it. The end of the Skywalker saga. The Mando boom. And places like the forums here, Key Coll, CBSI, youtubers, etc…started to talk SW and put out lists of firsts and it snowballed from there.

And it’s still going.

2 Likes

I think Mandolorian was a big part of it. Diehard fans kind of felt meh about the new trilogy, and it didn’t have the staying power with new fans that previous Star Wars stuff has had, so it almost seemed like with Disney in charge it was a matter of “can Star Wars survive?” not “what’s the next big thing?”

But with how great Mandolorian season 1 was, it not only gave hope to the older diehard fans that new and good Star Wars stuff COULD be made under Disney, it also brought in new fans and KEPT them fans better than the new movies did. The new movies created fans of Rey or Kylo, not of Star Wars; whereas Mandlorian obviously created an army of Baby Yoda fans but also brought attention to the universe as a whole beyond Skywalker imo.

2 Likes

I was saying this back pre-Covid…check out my What The Flip thread. :grin:

1 Like

Frankie’s variant for issue #1 new padawan Keeve Trennis

2 Likes

I am seriously considering dumping my Rise of Kylo Ren set. I have 1 & 2 second prints and 3-4 first prints… part of me says hold because it may appreciate in value, other half says sell while hot.

What would you all do?

They are a longer hold. You have to wait for the high republic to come out and avar kriss to gain a following then that will be the time. If you got them for cover I would put them away in a longbox and forget about them until the high republic TV shows are announced.

3 Likes

Luckily I did! I am more concerned that her hologram in RoKR 3 will be over shadowed by true first appearance in High Republic. As of now, RoKR is the only place to get Avar Kriss.

Or sell them now, and buy them back when the price dips.

1 Like

they announced a high republic show today, called the acolytes

Sadlemoncomics and 7ate9

Why couldn’t that be the 1:25

2 Likes

Depending on how many store variants there are, they may have had to go to the F level talent for the 1:25…

I am a little pissed with Marvel. My file LCS is likely a medium tier store and I had them ask about doing a store variant when HR was first solicited. They followed up a few times after that and did not receive any response from Marvel. A collector friend and I were willing to back a store variant for them since the profit margin made sense. We had to settle for substantial orders of the regular covers instead. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Exactly, that cover is pretty spectacular IMO. Hard to believe a store got that artwork while the 1:25 has lackluster artwork. :man_shrugging:

Another exclusive by Filoni. Store not listed.

3 Likes

That’s a cool homage to himself lol. I really like it actually.

What is the implication of all these store exclusives? Isn’t it generally bad? As it implies a much larger print run?

I was going to load up on the 1:10 variant. But now I may not if the print run is enormous.

Buy the store covers if you like the cover art but buy the regular issued covers for potential spec.

This book was going to have a huge print run regardless, these store exclusives won’t impact it that much.