Star Wars: The High Republic

What good are ya? :wink:

I can make toast, eggs, and most things requiring a microwave.

Dddaaaamn both those covers are nice. Not that I think itā€™s going to happen but I wonder what issue # is going to be the drop off in orders from shops.

Wow, great covers.

HRA #2 $1.99 at Westfield. No idea how long they will last

https://westfieldcomics.com/section/justreleased-sale

1 Like

Can someone explain to me the spec for modern reprints? I see that some 3rd and 4th prints are super expensive - due to scarcity I believe. Presumably HR #1 4th print is going to have a lower print run than the 1st - does that mean it WILL have future spec? Just curious if there are rules in place for comics, or if its just random market forces that drive reprint values. Thanks!

1 Like

The idea behind 2nd and later print spec is to wait to sell until the collector base expands. When that demand arrives supply dries up and prices increase.

To me, the High Republic is such a terrific long term investment in a franchise that has 100,000,000+ fans that explores a totally new era that I think almost all Star War fans have often wondered about and desire to explore. There is no question about if this collector base will expand. Just a matter of how long till it does?

I think the first and second prints for number 1 and the second and later prints for issues 2 and 3 will be very sought after long term. The first prints for issue 2 and 3 were totally massed produced when you consider they only had 1 cover and a lot of people jumped on HR after they missed out on HR 1.

I also wouldnā€™t overlook HRA. The 1:10ā€™s for issues 1-3 should be amazing long term holds.

5 Likes

I agree. Issue 1 1st and 2nd are the ones, especially the Hans variant. Thatā€™s gonna be the big one out of all the cover price copies imo.

3 Likes

Agreed HRA 1 and 2 with Marchion Ro appearances will be huge one day.

7 Likes

In the last 12 months, and increasingly, seemingly, in the last 3-4 months, the market has gone nuts. This market, which doesnā€™t have much history as far as bubbles and crashes goes, is seeing unprecedented gains across the board. This has all coincided with the pandemic, so it will be interesting to see where every settles in the next year or two. I also believe that there has been an influx of new types of investors/hobbyists that have gotten into this hobby over the pandemic. It will be interesting to see whoā€™s holding what when this all settles. Bottom line, we, as a collective hobby, are in glorious unprecedented times, as seen by the interest and growth in all parts of the hobby, including later printings and reprints (to answer your question, lol).

Buy low, sell high. And never over extend yourself.

6 Likes

Thanks all. I have taken a 20 year hiatus and started up in earnest since my son was born. More of a buy and hold sort of fellow and obviously buy what I life.

3 Likes

Does he appear in issue one or am I just misreading it?

1 Like

I think itā€™s a cameo at the end of #1 then full in #2

2 Likes

Last panel I believe.

2 Likes

Last panel cameo.

2 Likes

That was quick! Thanks!

1 Like

I have to mention the rise of Disney+ and streaming that has fed these gains. More people, perhaps than ever before, have been exposed to content that we normally would have followed before. The Mandalorian has changed the landscape; introduced new viewers as children of original collectors, and just happened to follow on the heels of a very successful Avengers move storyline. If Disney+, and others, continue to push content like the Mandalorian and Wandavision, this is just going to keep growing!

9 Likes

I believe you must consider the fact that D+ has been around for over a year and a half. Iā€™m not so sure that that is the main driver. Mando season 1, before pandemic, didnā€™t move the needle that much. Mando season 2 happened around when a lot of places were still on lockdown.
Can you confidently say that it is streaming services, which have been around for years, that are responsible for these gains in the last 4 months? I believe there are other, more significant, factors to consider. The MCU has been around for 13 years. D+ has been around for almost 2 years. Streaming has been around for a decade. MCU TV streaming shows have been around for 5-6 years.
These mediums have been around a long time and they never moved the needle like the needle has been moved in the last 3-4 months. The difference in the market response between the first season of Mando and the second season of Mandois in the local pandemic responses, and expendable resources due to no social life (movies, social gatherings, wining & diningā€¦), among a whole host of other factors, imo.
Can Season 2 of Mando and WandaVision really have solely been responsible for the almost exponential growth our hobby has seen in the last 3-4 months? I donā€™t think so. M2c.

1 Like

Mando season 2 is what really blew up a lot of speculation because of it being the cameo season. I liked it but I also think it spoiled peopleā€™s expectations because it made people think any character could show up at any time on the other shows lol

I think it was more the Disney event where they announced like 800 Star Wars shows and movies over the next 10 years that blew up spec lol

3 Likes