Star Wars: The High Republic

We aren’t really talking about spec here, though. We are discussing the unprecedented real life gains in value. Every movie, TV show, etc…, before Mando season 2, introduced new characters.
Why would these particular announcements be so much different, in terms of market growth, than any other announcement before?

Disney + is unique if they are not going to remove content, will keep characters relevant as long as the show/movie is still streaming years later

1 Like

Disney+ is in its infancy. They started off with basically zero new content and gained about 100,000,000 new subscribers in record time.

Now their priority is to keep their subscribers and gain new ones. There is only one way to do that.

New content.

The difference when Netflix and Amazon would get an MCU related show is that there were very few shows that would be made. And those platforms cater to everyone.

With the advent of Disney+, there will potentially be hundreds of new shows. And the show will be on a platform that caters to that specific type of content with a very targeted audience.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said before. For those who take a long approach to selling their books, we will all look back 5-10 years from now and we will be eternally grateful for being in the comic hobby while Disney+ was in its infancy.

It took Facebook about 12 years to mature to the customer base that it’s at today.

Just imagine what Disney+ and this hobby will be like then. We have a lot of fun times ahead of us.

4 Likes

The Mike Mayhew Studio store exclusive goes live in about 40 minutes.

Here’s a list of stores who will be carrying it today at 9AM Eastern (time may vary for Canada/UK):

U.S.

Canada

UK

2 Likes

dont forget mayhew double dips all the time, if book sells out he will announce a cover C in a few days

1 Like

He really does that? I seen someone say that in another thread or this one. I only know of the issue 3 light and dark covers.

Yeah, that’s what @Kevin is referring to. Selling out of Cover A and virgin cover and then editing the digital image and creating something like the “shadow” variant. He’ll try and go back to the well.

That comparison is not valid. You can’t take the history of a social media platform and compare it to the future success of a streaming service. Very different products/scenarios, so to speak.
That would be like saying ‘Tom Brady took 20 years to win 7 Super Bowls, so, just imagine how many Emmys D+ shows will win in the next 20 years’.
Very much apples and oranges.

Regardless, until an actual study is done on why this market has exploded (and that can only be done in hind sight, with any accuracy, I believe), or Marty returns in the DeLorean, no one knows for sure what is exactly happening in this market, or why. It truly is all, ironically, just speculation until more time has passed. I digress.

I was just using Facebook to demonstrate that even the fastest growing company in history took 12 years to plateau with number of users.

My point being that it is going to long ride that will reap dividends all along the way.

1 Like

Got it. I wonder how quick this book sells out.

The answer was under 5 minutes for the virgin on his own website.

2 Likes

Wow I timed it right. Bought a pack exactly at 12 on EastsideComics. Just checked now the 2 pack is sold out as well. Nice the virgin should do well.

Less than 5, I had it in my cart within minutes and was not available when paying. Unless a first cover appearance, this was the last straw on store exclusives for Star Wars. There are still great bronze age first appearances for less than virgin store exclusives, going to put my $ there instead.

2 Likes

Mutant Beaver usually has stock after the others.

Just checked: they still have the raw set. Canada prices and shipping, though.

When I tried adding 35 copies of the set it allowed it, 40 it didn’t. Right now they have between 35-40 sets at Mutant Beaver.

Down to about a dozen over there now.

Mutant Beaver is sold out of the trade/virgin sets.

Between 190-200 copies of the trade left there.

Yeah I ordered mine at 11:59/12 didnt hesitate and shopify helps speed through the check out since all info is stored already.

1 Like

Disney+ is a huge driver now because they are planning 100+ shows for Disney+ annually now with about 12 new Star Wars series, and a ton of new Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Aliens, Predator, Avatar etc content round the corner.

They removed the Disney stock dividend and are going full steam and pumping all the money into content creation for Disney+. Disney+ recently hit 100 million subscribers, half of Netflix currently and it did it in1/10th the time while Netflix is open in 100+ countries and Disney+ only 20+, so they plan to keep that momentum going.

They are going to tie in the TV series with upcoming feature films and that means the introduction of way more characters than you would normally see in the feature films, think of it as 10x the Mandalorian and 10x Agents of Shield. With Disney+ they have more room for character development and world building between blockbuster feature films.

So imagine the new and existing characters unwrapped in Mandalorian - Boba Fett, The Mandalorian, Cara Dune, Fennec Shand, IG-11, Baby Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Death Troopers, Tusken raiders, Jawas, Mof Gideon, Greef Karga, Armorer, Bo-Karan Kryze, Ahsoka Tano etc.

Now multiply that by 12 different series (probably not that many since there will be some character overlap.). and add Marvel, Avatar, Aliens, Predators, Pixar, Disney characters.

This all on the backdrop of lack of global content production during the lockdowns and a ton of pent up demand.

Stuff is going to explode in the coming year onwards. I do however, expect some burnout in speculators.

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

What happens if the content doesn’t land with the expected audience? Cough…Last Jedi trilogy…cough cough

John Favreau can’t be expected to produce all this content. Mind you, it certainly does look like Fiege has an incredible grasp of what to do right in order to have the content land with audiences.

I like your enthusiasm, @Ravager. But there are a lot of assumptions in your analysis. There are a lot more factors to consider than just content overload on one streaming service, imo.

I think any reasonable person would expect some sort of correction eventually, but, we are in unprecedented times. No one knows where this will end up in 6-12-18-48+ months.

As I said above, our little conversation here is moot, as none of us has any precedent to be basing any sort informed opinion as to where this ends up. With ‘this’ being the crazy market we are in.

We all have our opinions. The chips will fall where they may. Buy low. Sell high. Never over extend yourself…even if you think this market is never going to slow down. :v:

1 Like

Agreed; this is all speculation. We certainly do not know where this will end up, but the timing of the Mandalorian and Wandavision just happens to coincide with this latest growth across the board.

My question back to you jcLu, is what happens if the content does land with the expected audience? Might the Mandalorian and Wandavision be examples of that perhaps?