Star Wars: The High Republic

she is on cover A

Oh. Oh that’s awful. Man, the rest of the covers for issue 1 are so good. That looks like bad clip art.

1 Like

It’s not terrible, just not a 1:25 type of cover.

1 Like

Not a terrible cover.

The lightsaber (or whatever shes holding) is terrible.

Well, retailers shouldn’t be buying quantities just to get the incentives, they should be buying what they know they can sell on each and every book. If they qualify for the ratio variants, that’s just bonus as they’re still spending cover price for them (if they buy them). Any shop chasing variants as a consumer is running their business in horrible fashion if you ask me
 :wink:

2 Likes

Well, had I seen that cover yesterday, I surely wouldn’t have paid $20 to get it. I wouldn’t have paid $4 for it. Their unused concept art is so great. This feels like cutting room floor level quality.

1 Like

promo art they could easily switch to

1 Like

Now that’s a 1:25.

1 Like

This is why good ol poyo always states

always

Smart guy
 you all should listen to him more often
 :wink:

1 Like

If a store is only a few copies (less than 5) away from qualifying for the 1:25, they will usually up the order as the extra 1:25 will cover the cost. This one is a shite cover that will not sell, which Marvel knew and is the reason they did not post anything until after FOC. I bet the orders would have been much lower for the book if they had posted it a day or two in advance as owners would not have topped up and collectors would not have ordered it.

At least the regular covers should sell and the stores will be able to cover the cost of the fugly Sway 1:25s that do not sell.

I believe that image is for one of the novels.

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t paying attention , whos smart and we should be listening too?

novels and comics have used same art before

Lets not pretend that ANY of us know what Marvel (or any publisher) is thinking or doing. That is straight speculation :grin:

As far as i know, they solicate and pay artists to do covers based on what the marketing team wants and directs (I imagine its the same scenario as a retailer exclusive). Sometimes the art isnt ready or made it through approval process and gets released later on. I dont think (i hope they dont) they hold cover art back intentionLly (except when its intential “classified spoiler cover”)

1 Like

Sure but not all shops will or should do this. If I was a retailer, I wouldn’t budge. If I knew I could only sell 20 copies and that’s including a few shelf copies, meh
 All too often shops have the “variant” boxes where plentiful ratio variants never sell at the jacked up prices
 Then when they have huge blowout sales, you get them at 75% off or more and I still pass on most of them in the past. My main shop sells all books at cover price. If they get it, they get it and if it’s not in some subscribers pull folder, it’s on the shelf. Initially I use to just buy cause they’re ratio, all too often they end up being worthless. I learned my lesson, only buy if I like the cover art cause for selling for profit, you gotta just list the damn thing one the way to your car in the parking lot to make any money from it. :wink:

Also, what one thinks is subpar artwork, others may like or even love. Peach comes to mind, we got some haterz out there while having people loving her artwork

I don’t actually mind that cover! It tangentially reminds me a bit of Kehinde Wiley’s work (this is less patterned in the background, to be sure), though I probably can’t adequately explain why
 it’s just the first thing I thought of when I saw the cover.

EDIT: so that you don’t have to google it, Kehinde Wiley is the (mostly portrait) artist who did President Obama’s portrait and has a style that incorporates lots of bright colors and patterns with African American visual vernacular elements. They’re really striking pieces (there’s a great one at the Art Institute in Chicago!)

1 Like

That looks more like a bad 2nd printing

1 Like

This feels like the conversation Meatwad and Carl have at the beginning of the song “A.T.H.F.” on the Danger Doom album. Meatwad is rapping (or, trying to) and Carl says:

Where’s the keyboards and the tambourine and the guitar
And you know, I mean, the stuff that like white people like

We had a piano
Somethin’ bad ass, like, uhh, I don’t know
Like uh, REO Speedwagon or somethin’

Which is all to say, we should consider that this cover might have an audience in mind that both Marvel and Sway want to create for. There’s, for example, clearly a target audience in mind with, uh, Dejah Thoris or Vampirella variants.

If there was a significant market for the variant, then store owners would not have reacted so strongly against it last night. I am willing to bet they get customers trying to cancel their 1:25 pre-sale orders now.