Star Wars: The High Republic

I’m not sure I was comparing them as a whole, or in part. I was simply pointing out that Super Heroes are more established franchises than SW.
I think it is a given that any franchise/property/business, that has been around as long as these franchises have been, have all had their respective ups and downs, as far as popularity and success go. I’m sure interest in SW also waned considerably, at points, between the release of Jedi in '83 and the release of Phantom Menace in '99.
But I think it’s safe to say that the two are pretty much intrinsically tied now, Super Hero and other fantasy/sci-fi properties that is.

PS…too your point, DRog, as a collective group (super heroes), I believe at least one company (DC or Marvel) has had at least one character who has been in the eye of the cultural zeitgeist since the early '60s. FF in the early 60s, over to Spidey in late 60s and 70s, Batman and Supes came back mid 80s with the help of Miller and Moore’s contributions and Donner and Burton, along with the XMen who carried over into the 90s, same with Batman…MCU in 2006… :man_shrugging:

Quick question, is the High Republic Comic book based of the Hard Cover books or is it a continuation of those books?

The new book that just came out this month is part of the same ongoing setting/series across a few different titles. Anything before that is separate at this point I believe.

2 Likes

Thank you sir for the info.

OR they sell them cheap for collectors to get, instead of the inflated aftermarket price flippers are trying to get for them.

The Phantom Menace peak was probably the most dramatic, short-lived and severe drop off in popularity. It was only redeemed by the Clone Wars. It was a long way back from those dark times.

I’d say DC is either in or entering one of its troughs.

4 Likes

All my copies are paid for and I’ve profited about $750. I’ll take that any day.

I don’t think that needed to be said. There is not a flipper out there who is turning down $750 profit flipping hot books. This is also beside the point.

Not if I have to pack 75 packages to get that.

1 Like

I think your analogy would be better I’d you compared superhero genre to science fiction/space drama genre…not cherry picking SW and comparing to some non specific label like “super heroes.”

But really my point was Star Wars hasn’t branched out enough and diversified like the whole super hero genre…it’s been siloed by the sky walker saga for most of its history…sure there was clone wars but even that was weaved into the movies timeline wise.

The only thing that really branched out we’re the comics…and now that people are seeing that untapped potential I believe SW will now be a steady force (pun intended) going forward and not the highs and lows we’ve seen to date because they are now going to dive deep into the mythos. Much like comics and superhero’s have done for many decades.

There are at least three markets:

(a) Speculation. Bets on which property will be hot (for a variety of possible reasons) in the hopes of value appreciation. Possible huge immediate gains.
(b) Investment. Bets on the future prospects of a property in the hopes of value appreciation, usually in the long term. Likely gains after some time.
© Arbitrage. Gets in to make the difference between adjusted market price and current market price whenever value enhancing news drops. Possible moderate immediate gains.

There is clearly some overlap in terms of what information is relevant between the three categories and indeed, some purchases might fall into more than one category. And there are pros and cons of all the approaches.

Sharing the above as some of our differences here seem to be talking about different approaches, rather than real differences of opinion.

There are also those with inside information, but that’s sensitive so will not discuss this.

2 Likes

Your Investment is a tad understated. I’ll stack my 4 decades collecting through investment against flipper profits any day of the week. :wink:

3 Likes

Why not both? I have been collecting for 35 years. In that time I have been a crazy flipper, a collector, and an investor. I have taken flip profits to buy PC books (my Menace #5 for example, my TMNT 1 also) and have also flipped to reinvest in other sellable books. Not to mention the cars and trips I have paid for out of selling comics. All the while still having 40,000 plus comics.

5 Likes

@Anthony PREACH!

Yeah, same here got it for 35% off ratio from my LCS. I preordered it before it was even announced, the owner said there wasn’t a 1:25 but I told them… there will be, lol.

It will go along very well with the #1s : )

You are not comparing apples with apples then. Shouldn’t you consider 4 decades of investment profits with 4 decades of flipping profits instead?

I don’t believe I was making an analogy, or comparing. I’m simply stating relative, respective, facts (lol, that may just be another way of saying ‘comparing’ :man_shrugging:). I also said that the genres are now intrinsically tied, imo.
And too your point, if you want to interchange SW and Sci-Fi/Fantasy in my posts, feel free. However, all of Marvels/Dcs Super Heroes are from one Universe (multiverse). Same as SW characters. One Universe. I don’t believe it’s cherry picking anything, and if one wanted to compare the two, I believe it would be an accurate comparison. And if you really want to be a stickler, I could pare down my point to just the Marvel 616 Universe vs. SW Universe, and my point would be just as valid, imo.

I disagree with that assessment. SW universe has been fleshed out plenty in the 40+ years it’s been around.

All I was stating was we don’t know how the general market is going to respond to THR for long term. It could be a god awful story, with uninteresting characters (a la the last two SW trilogies) that the general audience doesn’t ever take too, in the long run. That’s it.
Somebody else said that ‘if you’re gonna spec, spec"n on an established franchises like SW is not a bad bet’. He’s right. I simply added that Super Heroes have been around longer than SW, and are just as, if not more established, and more popular, than SW.
I’m not sh!tting on anybodies spec, Im just trying to get people to look at things without their fomo SW glasses on.

Name one example of an online store that sells cheap ratio variants with their exclusives.
I know we can name all the shops that don’t do that…

That is true… all those quick flip profits add up over time.

I’m like @Anthony though myself.

I got some for the long haul, tucked away. I got some for the personal collection, likely to be cremated with me as I’m still grasping them in my cold dead hands… and then I buy a few extra of whatever hot book is currently the book to own to flip so it buys more books.

Like Anthony, quick flips can add up. I’ve gone on vacations from flipping books. I’ve paid off bills and almost every single NYCC trip I did from 2016 to 2019 paid for itself and I think 3 of the 4 years turned out to be profit actually… It’s not that bad paying out of pocket to fly and stay in NYC only to turn around and sell the things you bought that paid for the things you bought and the flight/hotel costs.

2 Likes

That is simply known as diversification. Imo, any good investor/speculator will have a diversified portfolio.

1 Like