Strange Academy

the print run for 6 was apparently near the same as issue #1, thats very rare for a comic to maintain like that. pretty sure siktc is only other comic to do it recently.

1 Like

Honestly, it’s a great read. Whether Marvel can translate that to a quality TV show/movie remains to be seen. Marvel IMO will push diversifying from the traditional X-Men, Avengers, etc. and gets some new teams to the forefront. Can only milk the X-Men so many times when people playing the characters keep changing on us.

Sales are great… just saying amongst the Youtubers the Tom Bueller’s CBSI etc no one is mentioning story or what’s happened. I watched 6 videos about NCBD for 2morrow and they all state… I guess something gonna happen by the cover lol. That’s all I’m saying its selling cuz it’s a hot book ala STAR Wars titles. Got me buying.

5 Likes

Out of all of them I’ve sold #1 1:50, #3 1:25, and a set of #3 A and B the rest have sat unsold for me including the other incentives.

Strange Academy feels like something that speculators love and other people are indifferent about it. Like New Agents of Atlas or Blue Marvel

2 Likes

if that was the case the print run would have dropped alot, like every other spec book does after 1st app.

Shops buy into hype. Print run is high because of hype, not because of demand. Just go into your LCS and see if copies are still available after a week…

Maybe some of you should try reading the book. Its pretty good. Its not like speculators are buying a 1000 copies of #6.

2 Likes

Exactly lol

1 Like

They are speculating there will be a death because of how #6 ended. I really enjoy the series as well, and think it would be a great show if someone good directed it.

The other book that has me hooked is We Live, #4 had me all sad! Killing me with these deaths of the characters I like!

The hype died on that book, but it is really good.

Strange Academy is a great read. Will definitely be made into something at some point.

We Live is another solid read.

1 Like

All of my regular shops haven’t been able to keep copies on shelves. If I don’t grab it on release day, it’s gone. I now order it from TFAW to make sure I get a copy of each cover.

1 Like

I just chuck it on my pull list, been a great read so far.

1 Like

I made my money on the series so now I’m just collecting for the story, had a bit of a slow spot but it’s picking up again. Great story and art.

2 Likes

Remains very popular in my area. My main shop does a new comic live show highlighting books. SA is always claimed/clamored for by a variety of different collectors. It’s one of the few books these days I actually really look forward to.

I often see folks/sellers marketing it as “Harry Potter” ish in nature…which I think has helped it.

I just hope they stay on schedule with the book. It hasn’t been super consistent with release time frames. That doesn’t always help a book.

Super Hero movies have been around for 40 years. MCU has been around for 15 years. Star Wars is 40+ years old. Super heroes on tv shows has been around for 40+ years.
Why does a streaming service ‘change everything’?

1 Like

Smaller window times between seasons (compared to years or more with movies), longer total running time for a season (movies 2-3 hours, seasons can total 10-13 hours depending on number and length of each episode)… more opportunities for writers to do twists and turns within the story, introduce more characters with more dialogue than brief cameos… I could probably go on but that’s what comes to mind for me…

4 Likes

I also think that overall accessibility has also changed the landscape with regards to this stuff. Watching these shows on phones, tablets, computers, etc. There is just this new onset, constant demand for “more” in terms of programming.

We’ve come along days since the water cooler talk about the television series event of the year like we saw with Roots, The Thorn Birds, North/South, “V” etc. The hype and talk around events like those back in the days was incredible too…but they were so rare. We now have that sort of hype constantly. At least how I see it.

2 Likes

You missed my point, Poyo.
Netflix started streaming in 2007. MCU TV shows have been streaming on Netflix since 2015. Disney+ itself has been around for 15 months. Why does Disney+, now, ‘change everything’.

My point is, do we really think that all this has ‘changed’ because of one season (season 2) of Mandalorian? Really? You don’t think it has anything to do with the fact that nobody has been able to go out in the last year? Or the free money they have been receiving from their governments? Do we honestly think that because of one streaming site, that the whole comic collecting hobby has forever been drastically altered by this streaming site with 2 original programs in 15 months?
You will sometimes hear a story on here where people tell us how they got back into the hobby. I’ve never heard someone say they got back into comics because of Disney+.