The Book of Boba Fett Specs

yeah, they are just awesome characters. Would be a lot of fun to see them on a D+ star wars show!

Iā€™ve collected Star Wars ā€œtoysā€ for far longer than comics (not that I didnā€™t enjoy and have comics, but not what I consider hard core collecting which I feel most of us are here).
Star Wars comics are viewed as fodder and just sort of toss away junk by a vast majority of vintage toy collectors. In terms of monetary value, I can understand the perception as Star Wars comic donā€™t even come close to value of vintage toys. (not talking all comicsā€“just SW comics).

You can post items like Heir to the Empire #1, any Dark Horse stuff, discuss Dr. Aphra, or Black Krrsantan , and be met with ridicule from many. About the only Star Wars comics viewed as collectible would be Star Wars #1 from Marvel. The usual response is "oh, I had or have that.

The funny thing is that many of the vintage toy collectors also snub their noses at what they consider ā€œmodern, overproduced, junkā€ relative to SW toys also. Itā€™s a bit comical as there are quite a few of the modern (which even now are like 20 years old) lines that are really low produced and pricey. You try to bring them up or give examplesā€¦and again, laughed at.

I collect a ton of different things and itā€™s really funny as SW vintage collectors are imo, the very snobbiest and elitest of folks. Itā€™s why I actually moved my collecting focus into comics a few years back.

Having said all that, I tend to use that to my advantage when I can. Toy shows, toy forums, and suchā€¦I will always ask if they have SW comics. If they do, they feel like they unloading them and taking advantage of me. I grabbed a NM Star Wars #69 and a newsstand Heir to the Empire #1 from a guy who practically begged me to take a small box of comics off his hands (and they both will likely be 9.4 or better).

Even in my 501st groups, very few people had any idea who Black Krrsantan was.

Seems to me like a lot of the old school Star Wars fans and toy collectors really only care about the OT. Thatā€™s what they knew and thatā€™s all they want to know.

1 Like

Now I want to time it.

1 Like

These are probably not the same group of Star Wars fans that are buying up all the SW Clone Wars #1 or the Thrawn #1 Mattina variants or the Star Wars: Vader Down #1 Zdarsky 1:4,999 Variant. You need to talk to a different crowd.

Shhhhā€¦.

1 Like

Let me know what you come up with! :slight_smile: Imagine the prices on his first and early apperances when we see what BK can do!

@myrontay
No, this is the crowd that would use any of the books you mentioned to wipe their arse because they are buying Droids carded Boba Fetts, carded Yak Face, MISB 3-packs, retailer multi packs, proof cards, and hundreds of other production run vintage toys that make the price on any SW comics look laughable to them.

Certainly, there are folks that both have and appreciate both. Iā€™m generalizing, but that generalization and opinion is based on over 30+ years of vintage toy hunting/collecting/socializing (when we were still using magazines and phone in auctions to procure SW toys versus the internet) of how the vintage SW toy communities view SW comics in the hobby.

Sure, so I am not interested in what these toy collectors have to say about star wars comics.

I am interested in what those who have bought the high value SW comics have to say, because these other ones make the market that I am interested in supplying SW comics to.

1 Like

2:16-3:00 ish for the whole scene depending on where you call itā€™s beginning and end.

You can see Black Kā€™s legs behind the litter in the beginning as well which is a cool treat if you rewatch it.

Heā€™s ACTUALLY on screen under 35 seconds.

2 Likes

Hi.

2 Likes

You all know I am famous for diatribes.

My point was: many vintage collectors and old school Star Wars fans have zero knowledge of things like Black Krrsantan, nor do they care to learn about him. They feel like anything new or from modern day stories/comics/books is some sort of insult to their beloved trilogy memories. So avoid selling in those groups! :slight_smile:

And Iā€™m your Huckleberry when it comes to these high priced books. Again, itā€™s why I came to comics. Iā€™d rather spend 10k on a few different nice, high grade Star Wars books, than a carded figures who will likely end up breaking out of their bubbles over time anyway.

3 Likes

This is true. I have a co-worker that just loves the just 1st three original movies. He has a life size Han Solo in Carbonite and a Darth Vader plus a bunch of other stuff. He isnā€™t interested in anything else Star Wars related. Just the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series.

Me me me! LOL
When I first saw a bunch of posts I thought the character was a flower or somethingā€¦ like a Black Chrysanthemum that one plants in the autumn. I had never seen a Black Chrysanthemum and became very interested

1 Like

I know someone exactly like this. They have quite an amazing golden age Superman collection. Especially considering their age.

But yeah, itā€™s OT or nothing.

Thatā€™s profoundly sad.

They are missing out on some of the coolest stories in the Star Wars Galaxy.

Their loss I guess. I suppose this can be seen as a lesson about what prejudice in any form gets you. Clone Wars is amazing. Rebels is phenomenal. Yoda riding on Chewbaccaā€™s back in ROTS is everything to me. Knights of the Old Republic contains some of the most epic space battles and story arcs ever written in Star Wars.

This means these ā€œold schoolā€ guys are missing out on basically 99.9% of all of Boba Fettā€™s characterization, the entire history of the Sith, theyā€™re missing out on the rich history of Mandalore, no Chewbacca back story, no Aā€™Sharad Hett, no Cade Skywalker and his drug addiction, no Mando, no Ahsoka. Jesus. What martyrs for the cause. Just get over it and enjoy a story.

6 Likes

100% agree, but as it always has been, there really isnā€™t any changing their minds. I came of age before the prequels and wasnā€™t a fan until Clone Wars filled in a lot of gaps and made that whole trilogy much more enjoyable.

Those prequels are also loved by many that are just a bit younger than me, but were young enough for them to capture their imaginations. I didnā€™t realize the impact the prequels had until I got into Star Wars Card Trader in 2015 and saw all the hoards of non-OT characters. Made me feel much better about the longevity of the franchise.

Star Wars has done a great job of hooking new generations, which other franchises and some hobbies havenā€™t.

The thing is that the original trilogy has never stood on its own feet either.

It always referenced other stuff and had holes needing to be filled in.

Obi Wan mentions the Clone Wars, the ā€œImperial Senateā€ is mentioned, Leia is the Princess of Alderaan for some reason, the Rebels are suddenly on Hoth, Lando claims the Falcon is his. The whole thing begs to be explained and without the expanded universe of books, comics, and games, you lose all of that richness and context.

6 Likes

I feel they only needed to make ROTS to further explain the trilogy. Even Rogue One which I think is an amazing movie was not needed. Everything else was just to make money and sell toys.

Pretty much. But, like any typical nerdā€™s response to a simple question about their fandom, you get much more than you bargained for.

George Lucas is just super rich nerd, so he decided to make three movies to explain.