This will make Disney turn up the heat on Disney+

Latest hints for the direction of Disney from the CEO:

Disney CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that a new roster for the Avengers is coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Iger mentioned this change to Earth’s Mightiest Heroes while speaking at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference, beginning by saying that there’s nothing wrong regarding the Marvel brand, but Disney “just [has] to look at what characters and stories [it’s] mining” for future projects. “If you look at the trajectory of Marvel in the next five years, there will be a lot of newness,” he continued. “We’re going to turn back to the Avengers franchise with a whole new set of Avengers, for example.” Iger did not name any characters who would be on the new roster.

The MCU already has a history of introducing major changes. Marvel Studios executive Stephen Broussard had previously talked about the subject, commenting that he thought one of the meta-narratives of Phase 4 was focused on newer characters and passing on mantles. “If you look at, like, Cassie [Lang in Quantumania] getting a suit and Kate Bishop [in Hawkeye], new characters being introduced like Jack in Werewolf by Night,” stated Broussard. "After these first 10 years of Marvel storytelling, torches are being passed, like with Robert Downey Jr. no longer being [on the] table and stuff like that. So it was kind of like a new generation stepping to the forefront which, again, has always happened in the comics."

I put in bold what I think is very bullish for modern comics.

We know this already. Those 1st appearance books ain’t doing shit. No value increase, just decrease.

These new characters don’t have a demand.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see if any of whatever new members catch fire or gain popularity once the new set of films is eventually released. My gut says no, but you never know. If Marvel delivers what most out there want to see there could be some good spec gains.

1 Like

Exposure tends to change that.

How many albums or CD’s did Madonna sell when very few knew about her?

How many did she sell after?

Only time will tell. I think it will all boil down to how well received they are.

Iger has made lots of recent commentary about quality over quantity, so hopefully they deliver.

2 Likes

Bullish in general for first appearances. It sounds like Iger wants to focus on new characters and ideas rather than third and fourth sequels.

2 Likes

At this point, invest in the books and characters that are an established part of comics history. Regardless of what happens with the future of the MCU…they will retain their value/appeal. Certainly, if you can get these new characters/spec books in cheap bins then full steam ahead (here’s to you Mr. Hypno Hustler) but otherwise…avoid.

Taken me some time, wasted money to beat it into my brain. Recent CGC submission (I’ll post soon) had some stuff I regret grading. I should have heeded my own advice.

3 Likes

Really?

Doesn’t look that way when looking at completed sales. When the macroeconomic environment erodes like it has been due to inflation and lack of labor, no discretionary asset class is safe.

Speaking for myself only, I sleep much better at night sitting on under-$50 books. Regardless of what happens, my exposure is manageable and the population of collectors to sell them to is significantly more broad.

1 Like

I’m talking long haul here. Not sure of the average age of folks on here, but for those of us holding our books purchased in the seventies and eighties and even early nineties…we’re doing just fine.

Doesn’t matter what the economy or market does…my books like Star Wars #1, 1st Deadpool, 1st Gambit, GI JOE #1, first Blade, etc, etc, etc will be a great investment and still turn me a profit.

I don’t look at this stuff through a five year window…I look at it through my lifetime of collecting stuff window.

3 Likes

Oh okay, your comment makes more sense now.

Old Avengers
New Avengers
Old Characters
New Characters

I prefer the established ones I grew up with and love dearly; but can certainly handle newer characters too.

But here’s the rub - GET A DAMN GOOD MOVIE OUT FOR CHRISSAKES!!!
Iger clearly doesn’t understand it’s about storytelling and putting out a good movie. You did it for 3 phases. Wake up and do it again. Dope (and I’m not talking about a Cover here)

And yea, Iger, you do have a fundamental problem with your movies/brand as of late. They Stink

1 Like

Every Marvel movie must have a female lead and if not they add a female sidekick. Didn’t work with Star Wars so they’re idiots trying to do it with Marvel in phase 4.

3 Likes

Iger might. But his successor Bob Chapek didn’t. I think that’s part of the reason Chapek was fired as CEO and Iger was rehired.

Igor’s latest comments suggest he’s committed to quality over quantity. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I sure hope you are right.
What bothered me about his statement is the:

“…there’s nothing wrong regarding the Marvel brand, but Disney “just [has] to look at what characters and stories [it’s] mining” for future projects.”

I didn’t see quality of movies inferred in his statement. I see focus on new characters and new stories involving those characters. But perhaps I’m wrong (and I hope I’m wrong). I will say; however, that he does have a big problem with the Marvel brand as of late and if he’s not seeing that, it’s a problem. With luck he’s just saying that as a Marketing move, but I dunno.

1 Like

I think you are 100% correct here with your statements. I think a lot of these newer characters are a flash in the pan and will not hold much value in the future. There is something to say for Miles, Spider-Gwen, X-23, Riri (she will never replace Tony Stark, but can compliment him) and an Elsa Bloodstone (if their horror universe takes off). I’m not sure if I’m missing anyone else that has potential to break free.

A lot of the other characters that are some iteration of our main popular characters just will not do well.

1 Like

FYP
:laughing:

Probably semantics. The fact he’s acknowledging they need to look at the process is encouraging to me. Because, yeah, lack of quality over the last two years is eroding the Marvel brand.

In any case, that makes two of us that hopes I’m right.

2 Likes

Looks like Disney layoffs are coming

New Mutants is on Disney Plus. Haven’t looked around it in a while and happy to see it on there.

2 Likes
4 Likes