Todd’s Pickups and Sales Thread

I like documenting my purchases and sales and will have a big sale to add soon. Anyways some more Newsstands that I already have multiples of but you never know what’s going to pop and I’m always trying to expand the newsstand collection.

First up Daredevil #41,42,44,46 & 58. $20 including shipping.

This is part of the Batman 700 order a post back. Giant Size Wolverine #1 $3. That’s it for now may have some more tomorrow.

1 Like

DD #58 is first modern Night Nurse isn’t it (off the top of my head). I just know I always look for that in shops/in the wild and it tends to always be missing lol.

Great stuff!

1 Like

Thanks, Yes it is. I went through the database looking for any first appearances before buying them. I’d forgotten until you mentioned it. Another book I can add to my saved searches.

I’d like to just find some kind of streamlined database of first appearances that’s free to access because I know there a lot of modern first appearances I’m not actively after. Simply because I don’t about them.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ultimate Pickup and Sales Thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ultimate Pickup and Sales Thread

Here ya’ll go… Ultimate Pickup and Sales Thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This Runaways #1 has been on my list for years. Never been a top priority and I’m always holding out for Newsstands and passing on the Directs, Sometimes stupidly. Kinda like how I kept holding out for a Newsstand of Inhumans #5- First Yelena Belova and now the Directs are crazy. Still haven’t seen newsstands for either of those issues by the way. $47 including shipping.

First Grail-$13

1 Like

So I bought the rest of the Daredevil Newsstands from the same seller that I got the others from. As well another copy of the first Stepford Cuckoos.

3 Likes

Okay. I finally have a sale and I may have messed up. Sold my Amazing Fantasy 15- First Amadeus Cho for $1260 including shipping. It sold within an hour and I’m afraid I could’ve gotten more with it selling so quickly. I won’t complain because it was $60 I paid in March.

1 Like

$60 into $1200… uhhh… I’d be happy with that. It’s a sellers market right now. Sell Sell Sell… :wink:

1 Like

That’s how I try to look at it. It was $1200 in profits if you factor shipping in. Some of it will go back into comics but only a small portion.

Bird in the hand…

Guess What? I’ve got a few more Modern Newsstands. I picked up 2 copies of CA#1, which is the first cameo of Winter Soldier. As well as CA#3 of the same series. $22+ shipping.

As well a few nice copies of CA#1 Chevrolet Promo came up cheap so I bought 2 of those as well. $15 including shipping.

Winter Soldier keys are cheap right now considering his shows coming up soon and I feel hugely undervalued. There’s actually a CGC 9.0 CA#6 Newsstand on eBay now for $250. I’m contemplating buying it but it’s a bit much for me though. I’m watching it in hopes of a great offer from the seller.

1 Like

@ToddW I don’t know why this question came to mind, but do you believe there are regions/particular areas of this country that tended to be more heavily supplied with newstands? Perhaps due to less comic stores, populations, maybe distribution issues so only a local drugstore got copies.

I hope that doesn’t sound like an absurd question, but in thinking about my early childhood. I lived in an area without comic stores. So newstands were the only thing I had access to. When I was in the Marine Corps, I still bought comics, but from my exchange (PX) and as I recall, those were all newstand copies.

Just curious if there are any trends. May be an impossible question. Thanks!

1 Like

Maybe not regional but more areas that bookstores were able to survive in. So I think big cities would definitely have more available newsstands.

Growing up in Northern New York, there wasn’t a comic shop until I was in my teens in my area. So any grocery, department, convenience, gas station, drug stores, book store or an actual newsstand were the only choice and they were plentiful.

I think when the internet came around bookstores and newsstands started drying up. Along with almost all the places that carried newsstands stopped carrying them. I’m not sure why the different places stopped carrying them but they did.

By the late 90’s the only place you could get comics in my area, that weren’t from a comic shop was the borders and a regional grocery store called Hannaford. Hannaford stopped carrying them just after the millennium and borders closed several years ago.

Factoring in newsstands were returnable the whole time also limits numbers. Along with most being crammed into spinner racks which caused lots of damage and civilians not knowing how to handle comics. High grade copies can be very difficult to impossible to find. Hell even low grades are hard to find. You end up with a emerging niche market that gaining a lot of momentum.

2 Likes

Civilians… I snickered at that cause we comic book collectors are truly a different breed in these terms we define. We have to remember, the large majority of people out there don’t see these as collectible and only see them as reading material, so essentially they are handling them in the fashion they were suppose to be handled in… by reading them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brodie: Hey, I tried to teach you how to handle comics in the sixth grade, but oh no. You wanted to play little league instead.

Heh, I think @drunkwooky 's

Explains this very well in a sense. Once something is in our possession that we love, the value goes up (even if the market doesn’t think so).

Think about all the types of things people collect. I might think the lady who collects creepy dolls is a waste of time, money and resources while she might see my comic collection as just a stack of paper with ink on them.

I was really after #28 which included the first appearance of the Tibetan Ghost Rider Nima. Some of the other issues have some minor firsts as well. Just more newsstands for the PC.

3 Likes