WalMart Packs - 3Q21

CBSI just posted an article about the Walmart 3packs.

If Walmart hadn’t have moved them behind the register with the Pokémon cards and tobacco there would be a lot of ravaged 3packs in the next few days…

Poor clerks aren’t going to know what hit them…all these nerds coming out of the woodwork looking for comic books all of a sudden…

3 Likes

I was under the impression that publishers printed ratio variants based on the no. of orders that came in per customer (maybe some extras for damages). However, it seems that they just printed the ratio variants based on the total ordered of the title (not per customer) + extras. Eternals 1 was overprinted in anticipation of the movie; and the popularity of the ASM 55 Gleason first print may have caused Marvel to anticipate that there was going to be a huge demand for the later (color change) prints; hence these ratio variants could have been really over-printed. The larger the total print, the more available the ratio variants (even the higher ratio ones). Still, wish I could have found some of the other variants - Moon Knight, Demon Days, etc., but something is better than nothing.

Ventured out to 2 different Walmart’s today. The first only had an empty box. The second had about half of the contents left. I bought 3 packs total. I bought all packs that I could see had books with white spines. The ASM 55 was the easiest to spot.

image image image

2 Likes

Nice. The Momoko Black Knight virgin is nice too.

1 Like

I have no issue finding the Walmart packs, but I honestly had no desire to rush out for these. I may stop after work for one or two now. I passed on all of them before this word of rare variants came out actually.

The thing for me is this, I just don’t find any of these variants all that impressive. There is a reason they wound up in these packs to begin with. There are many things in this world that can be deemed “rare” but I am not a believer that rarity automatically equates to value. Not to mention, how many of these books are going to end up as 9.8s if graded? How many folks care about “rare” variants that aren’t graded (when it comes to paying big money on them)?

3 Likes

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0oo0o a CAPTAIN MARVEL DAVE COCKRUM HIDDEN GEM…
I think it was 1:50… it slips from me constantly on the BAY!

Who says people need to pay big money for these for the packs to be worth it? I think I may be able to get $9.99 for the Eternals 1:200 I pulled, which would pay for the pack. Maybe even $15-20 if I’m lucky.

I love that the obvious response to stuff like this is “well, it’s not worth a lot of money, because of this and this and this”, meanwhile no one said they would sell for big money.

Are you guaranteed to pull a ratio in each pack? Seeing people pull cool stuff is great.

@locksmithcomics This isn’t the only place where these are being discussed. By and large, the vast number of posts I’ve seen about these comic packs are focused on rarity and equating “worth” relative to it.

So if we are completely throwing discussions about value, rarity, and worth out of the window…than what is the big deal about these Walmart packs? I’m genuinely interested why folks are so excited about them? Was it because it’s like winning a lottery? Scrach off tickets? Is is a cover that you really did want but couldn’t ever imagine getting? What is the draw that has everyone out buying these (far more than ever/waaayyy more talk and hype) if it isn’t about worth/value?

Also, never once in my post did I state that the Walmart packs aren’t “worth it”. I stated that I personally am not interested and that folks discussing the fact that variants contained within (sometimes) are rare are equating that to overall value. I’d love the Peach Virgin Black Knight variant…but I have the regular cover already and if I really wanted it that bad I’d have already bought it. I’m not the type to spend money on a gamble of “maybe” getting one.

Buy what you want and like has always been my motto. I have zero issues with folks buying these…it’s just interesting to me is all.

1 Like

For me I dont give 2 shiits about the ratio value or rarity. These are cool covers IMO irregardless of spec value for ME. I know some see a good flip etc. But these are for my PC. I rarely sell books that are “hot” especially waiting for shipping so I’m always in the buy what I like in case I cant sell it either way.

3 Likes

I dont know why but variant gate has me rolling

2021…the year of the Variants…

1 Like

Let’s see if I got this right:

1. Walmart packs have junky books inside
  2. Everyone complains
  3. Walmart packs suddenly have more desirable books inside
  4. Everyone complains
  5. Walmart packs undoubtedly revert back to junk inside
  6. Everyone complains
5 Likes

Had to run an errand and decided to check out Walmart’s and try for a Spidey 55 2nd print.

Success!!

Bonus that it was in a High Republic 6 pack and also included a Captain Marvel 25 one per store storm breakers Variant (which I actually already had two of from shops when they came out). Interesting they had extra one per stores.

I thought issue 25 had a first or first full too…which is why I seemed out 2 copies. Butt ugly cover though…

I like this Walmart variant of 6 as the UPC is on the back!

2 Likes

I think it’s best summed up as

“Walmart…What is not to complain about?”

Glad I sold that ASM #55 for $150 a while bacc. Got 1 for the PC but I’ll take another if I can get a pack. Good score @D-Rog

2 Likes

I’m now seeing reports that these “packs” are being found elsewhere to boot.
Meijers stores (large Midwest chain).
Even more interesting!

(Saw pics of them with label, register checkout at meijers).

1 Like

WHOA. Have pics ?

This is bad for variants.

The end is Nigh….or is it near…?

1 Like

@monopolyjackson This is what I saw on Instagram. The pack also had an exclusive from Torpedo comics in it.
Code on the pack matches the checkout, signage so I see no reason anyone would make it up either.
Crazy…
I will say I stopped by my Meijers and didn’t see any just because I was curious (and the Mrs. Needed detergent lol).

1 Like