Store variant 2nd prints…

Sleeping Giant/Mutant City comics shared exclusive

2 Likes

are you really shocked ?

2 Likes

…no

:worried:

2 Likes

Odd character tinting and lazy background scenes is what gets me with some of his work. Otherwise, they are wonderful works of art.

1 Like

$10 more for a foil plus 1/5 the number of limited copies…hmmm…no brainer (if you’re buying).

(I am not)

2 Likes

curious has anyone opened up one of theses book?

(Crickets…,)

Yes I have and liked it. Mark is a digital artist so know going in you are getting a 3D computer feel. The book, for old school monster fans, is fun. It’s campy. It’s like being in an episode of Scooby Doo, but in real life and more serious. I personally have a liking for the technicolor Rob Zombie music video feel of it. Both dark and odd bright colors as well. I have decorations in my basement that match that. Kind of hard to explain. If you are looking for high art, this isn’t it, but if you want old school monster fun, it’s there for you.

With that being said, of course there are going to be store variants for it. First issue came out and was a hit with most of the covers shooting up over night. The leeches (store exclusive stores) are going to want to make a buck off his work. Same way Rose Besch got a ton of work (and I called this) when her art first appeared. I don’t blame Mark Spears for this. He is a guy who has put out about 20 covers and one interior in 20 years of trying to break in as a comic artist. He put out three card sets with his art in that time and now suddenly stores are wanting to throw money at him to do store exclusives for his book, which will raise the print run, and net him more money in the end. Also, Mark is a comic fan so knows how the game works with exclusives.

3 Likes

No judgment from me, get that money for your years of hard work and finally getting some attention, Mark!