Whatnot App

Jack DeMayo is a ■■■■ tard. Trying to play up the Whatnot scheme as legit. Any comic “influencer” should avoid them.

2 Likes

If WhatNot is actually paying people to become “influencers” and to go-to conventions to sell on their platform, seems like the comic/collectible equivalent of Amway… ponzi type scheme to get people to sell shit…

7 Likes

I know nothing about the costs that folks must incur at these big comic cons. I can’t imagine the dollars involved to set up those massive Whatnot displays with all the varied booths, lights, live sales sections, soda can dispensers, etc, etc, etc. They are massive!

I get that they are making money, but it just sort of seems like something that can’t sustain itself.

1 Like

It can cost a couple grand easily just to travel and go to conventions for a single person, travel costs and hotel costs, eating out costs, etc.

That explains why most of these Youtube shows won’t STFU about Whatnot during their stream.

2 Likes

Well that and the referral code that pays $10 bucks per new sign up that ends in a sale.

2 Likes

The general public’s issue in one perfect exchange:

If you’re looking for one thing in particular, good luck. You’ll need some sort of dwarven way-finding team, a Wizard, a mischievous puck, and a minstrel.

5 Likes
6 Likes

CGC is done they are selling books by making what not accounts for artists and selling their books but making you think youre buying direct from the artist but their cgc’s own books they are selling.

5 Likes

At least 15 years ago when PGX had a grader grading his own books and then selling them (the reason people don’t like PGX) it was a employee that was fired. This with CGC is an elaborate scheme from the owner of the company to sell his companies graded books and increase profits.

5 Likes

some off this crap reminds me of the damaged strassburg superfractor 1/1 that bgs slabbed a 9.5 and then later sold for the guy who pulled it

oh that was before beckett bought a comic grading company

2 Likes

Or when a politicians spouse buys semiconductor stocks and then magically a $52 billion semiconductor chips act passes into law? :thinking:

2 Likes

Just watched the video… WhatNot had Skeff as the host for this event? :thinking:

So WhatNot marketing team thought this was a good idea.

Did they have Dum Dum lollilops as part of a giveaway also? :lollipop:

Eco is right there is money they all gonna make together as a fam :moneybag:

1 Like

Yeah. I have to say it was a really bad idea and really looks bad for CGC and Whatnot.

4 Likes

And to think if cbcs just kept the course, they’d be on top right now…

2 Likes

Can somebody TL;DR the issue with Skeff? Before today I’d actually never heard that name(?).

Can somebody TL;DR what’s wrong with CBCS?

now owned by beckett i believe

Nothing exactly per se, just a few things together makes it seem like they fell off. Head grader and co-founder left cbcs to work for mycomicshop, they had competitive TATs and pricing revamp compared to CGC last year, but as CGC has gotten it’s act together with TATs, cbcs still lists 200+ days for regular grading. This forcing anyone who submits to use express or whatever they call it costing $60 a book to see it back in the same year, defeating the price competitiveness with CGC, and the same goes for their pressing except worse (but everyone knows not to use eithers pressing services). So it’s just more of a mix of everything, when they were finally becoming competitive with CGC and more people were using them in the last 2 years than before due to CGC’s slow down and all the quality issues that were coming up due to the massive influx of submissions, they were on the verge of overtaking them but has since fallen due to all the issues above.

2 Likes

I think the thing with skeff is that early on during the acetate drama there was like a pic or video where skeff had a bunch of those bootleg variants

1 Like