X-Men ‘97 Coming to Disney+

For those of us who lived thru it, we went from nothing to seeing our favorite Claremont years stories reimagined and that was part of the hook where after each episode I could talk to the teens about some of the differences between the story and what happened in the comics. You may have better down the road but that first time is always special. You just don’t get that feeling again once it’s not new. If it wasn’t great for what it was at the time, a lot of what we know now wouldn’t have occurred. It was a special time with that sandwiched in with the original Power Rangers. TV to look forward to and plan your day around.

X-Men Evolution was great because it was mostly a complete new universe type story. It pretty much sucked as the phrase goes by the end though since it felt rushed and forced to finish. Wolverine and the X-Men I sat thru but there was really no excitement to it at all. More required viewing than pleasure.

4 Likes

This.

I think the proliferation of comic-rooted shows and movies in recent years makes it harder to remember (or understand, for people say under 30 or so) how special seeing anything comic booky once was – even if it sucked. And X-Men didn’t, by that era’s standards.

3 Likes

So well said. We’d be on the edge of our seat opening up Wizard Magazine to see if there was any sniff of a rumor for these characters making it to TV or film. Crazy how far we came. These “niche” characters are mainstream now. Being a father, I love that I can share these characters with my daughter.

2 Likes

It’s one of the things that makes me a little sad. You can only have a first experience once. 25 years from now someone’s going to be sitting around trying to explain the magic that was seeing the first time the Avengers got together and travelled thru the Thanos saga to the new unbelieving Chusters. It’s going to be really hard for Marvel to replicate that feeling of joy and excitement again. That doesn’t mean they can’t tell better actual stories or have them presented in a way that’s more appealing to the generations to come. There is something to be said though that having to wait to find out what’s going to happen next really adds something to the experience for when it finally gets revealed you can’t duplicate going directly from one episode or movie to the next with no delay.

It was that way with comics as well. Where did everyone go when all my comic favorites disappeared in the park. Why did Spidey come back with a black suit, why is she Hulk now with the FF? Having to wait to find things out in a time with no internet spoilers was excruciating at times. It sounds stupid now but as a teen spending a month thinking Johnny got to see Frankie naked when she flashed him at the end of the comic was just plain stupid magic and hook all mixed together. Of course they open the next FF issue with her revealing her suit… For X-Men we had to wait at least 23 1/2 hours to find out what would happen next, sometimes longer.

1 Like

I thought the high school stuff in evolution was pretty weak but felt the show got way better when mutants were exposed and it felt more like a traditional x-men series. Also it probably had my favorite rogue design ever

I kinda wish those old Marvel cartoons from the 60’s were redone.
Talk about awful animation, perhaps the worst ever. But man o man did I wait for those to come on TV

1 Like

Was trying to post this video but had trouble, seems its working now

2 Likes

But that’s the beauty of these classics.

I remember watching Transformers and GIJoe and sometimes the characters colors would change…their mouths would move when they weren’t taking…sometimes their voices changed randomly.

Watch some of the last episodes of ‘66 Spider-Man series…where they were creating episodes by the-using footage from previous episodes because they had no more budget …you totally start feeling Dejavu… you know you’ve seen the scenes before…but yet it’s a different story…

Claremont’s an excellent writer and had the best run on X-Men. Many classic storylines most of us cherish but Grant Morrison’s run was imo much better.

And being excited to see your favorite characters in a different format doesn’t excuse the show this topic is about being subpar. I much rather enjoyed the short lived Marvel Anime series which included the X-Men, Wolverine & Blade. Of course Warren Ellis was involved in those explaining why they were so good.

2 Likes

Everyone talks about Rogue’s cake moment in XAS but no one talks about spidey’s from the 1960’s

Showing off dat ass

4 Likes

I loved X-Men Evolution. The 90s one was was sold too,

1 Like

How is that not a viral meme?

3 Likes

I want to be a super swamy. How do I become a super swamy?

Just finished the 2nd episode and I think I’m hooked. It’s got a lot more depth and subtle links to 90’s stories than I expected. I’m not sure how many I can even discuss from episode #2 alone without spoiling it. It appears to be very well written. The visuals are updated but feel like a direct continuation of the originals. The most disconcerting part has been the change in voices. Some of them feel very different like Rogues. Some feel close like Wolverine and Scott. I have no idea when the next episode is but hopefully, they can get more of them out before my free month birthday present trial of Hulu ends. I dropped Hulu last year when they announced it would no longer offer WWF 1 day delay reruns coming soon. They seem to want me back and keep tossing offers like $2.99 for 6 months, etc so I accepted the Hulu one month and tried to pay $2 to add Disney + but it appears they threw that in for free as well. I’ve already caught up on the last marvels Movie and the last Guardians movie. I think there’s another season of Loki waiting as well before we cancel again to avoid getting charged.

I think all of the old voice actors except for the voice actors of magneto and cyclops (because they passed away) are returning from the original. Its just been 30 years so they sound older

1 Like

It feels most noticeable with Rogue. She’s lost some of that accent twang from when she used hollar “swamp rat” and “sugah”.

I watched the first two episodes. They haven’t missed a beat. Love hearing the theme music. I noticed they replaced the mystery little green guy and some others running in the intro. My only question is, how bad must Magneto’s BO be with that outfit? Not sure what style he is shooting for. Guess he has been working on his delts since the end of the last season.

2 Likes

“But the weirdest question asked about the titles concerns the little green man with the big bald head. Who is he? Fan sites have hazarded guesses. I thought I just didn’t know the books well enough. But Larry [Houston - the designer of the credits] recently told me (after a fan asked) that the bald guy was a mistake by AKOM (the animation studio) that they wouldn’t fix. He isn’t anybody! Who he may have been meant to be has long been forgotten. He’s just another example of a flaw caused by lack of time and money, but one that seems to have been forgiven by the fans.”
Warpath was also in the old intro but wasnt an antagonist and was also an error added because the the studio thought he was a villain

duuuudeee. Holllyy…

Yep. Episode 3…… the awesomeness continues.

1 Like