Cheap(ish) Star Wars Spec

I found 3 copies of Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi #1 at my LCS back bin. Wondering if I should buy them at $7 a pop? How sure a thing are they?

Yes, they are going for $35-45 currently on ebay.

1 Like

Sold my NM- copy for $35 today.

1 Like

40% chance master Arca Jeth, Ulic Qel-Droma and other characters actually show up in a future show.

100% chance you can sell them for quadruple or quintuple that price right now based on market interest.

1 Like

Buy the three, sell one to cover the costs of the other two. #freebies

I found one this weekend at a shop for $2. Sold it for $30 about a half hour after I posted it.

1 Like

Watching the latest episode of The Book of Boba Fett - Chapter 3 - The Streets of Mos Espa, reminded me of a little known character from the Expanded Universe, now canonized - Bidlo Kwerve.

bidlo

Bidlo competed against Bib Fortuna for the position of Jabba’s majordomo, but ended up as a victim to Jabba’s rancor. With less than 5 seconds of screen time in RoTJ, Bidlo (well, his skull) was pivotal to Luke defeating Jabba’s rancor in the pit.

His debut action figure was meant to be featured in a recent Haslab project that was unsuccessfully funded. I remain hopeful that an ILM designer has kept his skull in the rancor pit as an easter egg in the TBoBF! :stuck_out_tongue:

So, the Cheap Spec here is Bidlo Kwerve’s first comic appearance: A Decade of Dark Horse #2 (1996).

You can find this comic in dollar bins, and it’ll probably still remain in those bins for a long time more.

While I don’t expect this comic to heat up compared to the comic I shared in my previous post, I love the thrill of finding these obscure speccy’s for my personal collection and hope you do too! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Enjoy! :grinning:

6 Likes

Awesome! Today I learned!

2 Likes

So his skull doesn’t appear in the RotJ comic?

3 Likes

New alert on key collector Return of the jedi 1, first appearance of Bidlo’s skull :rofl:

3 Likes

He looks like a Jonah Hex

1 Like

So does multiple panels of his skull constitute a first full, cameo, or first partial appearance?

I assume given the relative size of the other bones those are not his remains.

Shows how much you know. He was known as “Big Bones” Bidlo.”

I keep reading “Dildo” instead of Bidlo…this character is forever ruined for me…

1 Like

Ruined, or even better?

1 Like

3 Likes

Well, he’s definitely not fat…

1 Like

Finally went to the post office to sign for my package from the UK.

7 Likes

As I was re-bagging and boarding an old short box of my Star Wars comics and flipping through one of the books, I stumbled upon this picture that grabbed my attention.

I immediately thought that it was a cool picture of Doctor Aphra and Black Krrsantan. The only problem was, this book was from 2006, almost 9 years before their debut in the 2015 Darth Vader series! :exploding_head:

So, who are they then?
Well, these two characters are actually Chak and Kee from the Star Wars Legacy series. While there are similarities with Dr. Aphra and Black K, Kieron Gillen has said that Doctor Aphra was inspired by a statue of Indiana Jones that she saw while on a tour at Lucasfilm with her co-creator Salvador Larroca.

Could Larroca have been inspired by Chak and Kee when designing Aphra and Black K?
Maybe, however that has not been confirmed.

So what’s the cheap spec here?
It’s not the first appearance of Kee, which was the concept art pictured above from Star Wars Legacy #0, nor Chak’s which was in Star Wars Republic #81.

The cheap spec here is their first cover appearance in Star Wars Legacy #14. This book is also considered a minor-key due to it being the first appearance of the leader of Skull Squadron, Gunn Yage. Emphasis on minor-key, as I doubt this book will ever heat up and will likely stay cheap, similar to my previous post about Big-Bones Bidlo!

Enjoy! :grinning:

4 Likes

Gotcha. So… 1st cover appearance of Doctor Aphra and Black Krrsantan prototypes

You see that Krap Kollector ??? NOW SEND OUT A DAMN ALERT !!!

9 Likes